VOGONS

Trying to use my SS7 era specific system

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right. I've got a little further as to my diagnosis.

After putting the Radeon VE into my Gigabyte GA-5AX board, I powered up both midtown madness and desperados which were suprisingly smooth considering the board was using my AMD K6 @ 233Mhz.

I decided to switch boards.. then realised after the appropriate drivers were installed and tried out the games, they were very slow to load and exactly the same poor performance as on the old board.

I had noticed that the HDD is quite clunky, even more since having the case on it's side with the cover off. I swapped HDD's as that was the only difference and once again after installing drivers etc I came back to it and the performance was significantly better. I suppose for games that require a lot of HDD fetching (Desperados often seeks the hdd when scrolling the screen) then a dodgy HDD will hinder performance. Just goes to show you shouldn't necessarily trust SMART statuses.

I'm going to have to switch back the boards now and try again. I do prefer the TMC over the Gigabyte, it just looks so much more entruiging with it's late 90's 'I don't know where I should position anything on the board' feel.

I must add that when using the machine with the dodgy HDD, when doing multiple things the cursor does pause a bit. I initially put this down simply to the way 9x utilises multi-tasking, but it's also a possiblility it was a sign of the dodgy HDD?

I'll come back to this later. The performance still is lacking quite a bit for what it should perform like, but maybe i'll give up for now. I did have a look at the manual too to clarify this AGP clock. I believe you can clock only either the CPU or AGP (and RAM), If CPU is clocked to 100mhz, AGP (and RAM) will default to 66, otherwise lower clock the CPU and try and find a higher multiplier of which there is little chance.

ftp://82.13.5.7/Manuals/Mainboards/Socket_7/TMC_TI5VG+.pdf

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊