VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this STB Rio Grande ram card and I can't seem to find any information on jumper and switch settings. I tried putting it in my 286 but it was stuck on the startup screen and kept beeping.
Anyone know how to set it? I currently have 4mb in my 286, thanks.

efac4eb3-aaaa-424c-a559-01bd8174856d.jpg

e4e51c9c-6498-4f33-a974-4861aa45e212.jpg

DSC08239.jpg

DSC08241.jpg

DSC08243.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't even locate product info on waybackmachine, instead I did come across a seller Here Which "might" have the dip switches in the correct patterns, as it's mentioned to be a working pull from a 286 hp system.
No archived manuals anywhere it seems 🙁

Reply 2 of 2, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Google shows some old PC Mag articles on the card. It seems that it doesn't do expanded memory (EMS) so I'm not sure how useful it is for you. In the best case you could add the memory on top of your 4MB, but since 4MB is pretty generous for a 286 and the RAM on the card sits on the ISA bus so is slower than the RAM on your mainboard I wouldn't to that.
The articles say the DIP switches are for turning the included serial and parallel ports on/off and for setting the starting address of the RAM. From your photo it looks as if you tried to set the address to 4MB which seems reasonable. Does your mainboard perhaps do memory remapping to reclaim the memory between 640kB and 1MB? In that case you might also have to set the 128k and 256k switches (if the switches work like it seems they should). If your board only remaps part of the RAM and uses another part for BIOS shadowing the value would be different.
Perhaps the included ports could cause a conflict as well.
Also, is this the 16MHz 286 you posted about? https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/psb/psb.s-0047c.pdf says the card can't do more than 8MHz in some Epson model, but the mentioned 286 uses 8MHz for ISA according to your photo ("I/O speed"). Still it wouldn't hurt to underclock the machine and check, if that's possible. The mentioned 286 can do hardware EMS according to your photos, but I suppose that would only work for the RAM on your mainboard.