User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My catch yesterday:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster CT4380 16-bit AWE64
20150603_230207_zpsgcv3tic6.jpg

Creative Soundblaster CT 3910/3919 AWE32 Value
20150603_232827_zps21gim5fm.jpg

Installed the CT4380 in my first Retro system. I only need a AT Case in the future
20150603_232539_zpsjmpvtqnq.jpg

Reply 7821 of 53022, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

WTH?

I cannot even imagine 89 watts on my lap. How is it possibly cooled?
And what was Intel thinking?

You would be surprised that there are modern mobile edition MXM style graphics cards that go up to around 150w. Most of the time those older P4 laptops didn't run the cpu at full clocks until they were put under a load while still on the charger. Got three clock states, one high, one low, and one very low. Two states from the multiplier and one by under clocking the fsb.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7822 of 53022, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be clear about TDP,

"TDP is defined as the worst case power dissipated by the processor while executing publicly available software under normal operating conditions at nominal voltages that meet the load line specifications. The TDP number shown is a specification based on I CC (maximum) at nominal voltages and indirectly tested by this I CC (maximum) testing. TDP definition is synonymous with the Thermal Design Power (typical) specification referred to in the previous EMTS. The Intel TDP specification is a recommended design point and is not representative of the absolute maximum power the processor may dissipate under worst case conditions."

Reply 7823 of 53022, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Ever had someone sit on your lap? 100W is about as much as an average person dissipates through skin 🤣

Reply 7824 of 53022, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Ever had someone sit on your lap? 100W is about as much as an average person dissipates through skin 🤣

Humans dissipate power over a much larger surface area so it isn't comparable. I am aware of gaming laptops with 100+W GPUs but those are not designed for casual consumers. And they don't hit 100+W unless they are running a hard core game.

Reply 7825 of 53022, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100W? I thought the brain alone dissipated that?

Anyway, the Core-based XPS (T2300 CPU) I have pulls around 140W most of the time, at least, that to me is what around 7A is equivalent to at 19.5V. TDP doesn't mean jack, and any Core Duo / Core 2 is proof that Intel use the specification in the same way stereo manufacturers used PMPO in the 80's.

The power brick gets extremely hot too. This thing has no GPU either; 2MB Intel GMA, somehow has a Vista license so Dell broke the terms of that,

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7826 of 53022, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

100W? I thought the brain alone dissipated that?

Anyway, the Core-based XPS (T2300 CPU) I have pulls around 140W most of the time, at least, that to me is what around 7A is equivalent to at 19.5V. TDP doesn't mean jack, and any Core Duo / Core 2 is proof that Intel use the specification in the same way stereo manufacturers used PMPO in the 80's.

The power brick gets extremely hot too. This thing has no GPU either; 2MB Intel GMA, somehow has a Vista license so Dell broke the terms of that,

The T3200 only has a TDP of 31 watts. Have you actually measured that? I find laptops very often use less power than their power supply rating.

Reply 7827 of 53022, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, I can only measure the entire laptop. I only know the CPU uses enough to steadily idle at around 50°C with a clean heatsink running the fan at 100% (Guaranteed as I hard-wired it to the 5V rail) - power saving is disabled as it cripples performance, and that's the last thing I need when the laptop was outstripped by my old Athlon XP 2900+ - that ran cooler (Only marginally!) and used less power (Despite a ~70W TDP) despite having to also power a larger screen and a Radeon GPU with dedicated RAM. The older P4 Dell I have also runs more efficiently even with the battery in (I measured the others without the battery, but can't remove it from the Inspiron), but is slow as hell.

I can only speculate where the energy is being lost, it certainly isn't all going to the CPU, though it's almost certainly using the majority. The WD Blue comes back about the same as the Samsung in the old Athlon Compaq, so it's not the HDD. May be the screen? Notably the chipset needs heatsinking heavily here, requiring active cooling, but the older Dell and the Compaq were content with attaching it to a sheet of metal which was below the keyboard to provide a small amount of passive cooling. All in all it's not a very efficient machine. Not what one would expect from what is essential a couple of 1.6GHz PIII Celerons slapped on a single package.

I've had two of this model XPS, both have this tendency to blow components clean off the PCB near the power connector, sometimes the laptop will still power up for a while in that state but you get an arc and it shuts off, the laptop was also recalled due to several issues related to fires (People died as far as I know) and exploding batteries. There was a model with a GeForce 7 (I use the larger heatpipee from that version as the stock one runs my CPU even hotter) and it was noted that Dell never tested it, as no unit produced actually had the copper heat block touching the GPU due to them designing it incorrectly. A copper shim was required to stop this model killing itself.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7828 of 53022, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't blame the issues that heavily on the CPU; it sounds rather more like Dell just designed it terribly and didn't think anything through. And many 1 GHz PIIIs would idle at higher temps than 50C in laptops anyway, even with the fan(s) pegged at 100%.

Reply 7829 of 53022, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

I wouldn't blame the issues that heavily on the CPU; it sounds rather more like Dell just designed it terribly and didn't think anything through. And many 1 GHz PIIIs would idle at higher temps than 50C in laptops anyway, even with the fan(s) pegged at 100%.

Dell sometimes do very stupid sh*t. I still remember having to completly disassemble my dad's Inspiron 15R (Sandy bridge-based), including removing the motherboard, just to replace the HDD (and I've never seen an HDD fail so fast). Incidently, my dad's business partner bought the exact same laptop too (same store, at the same time), and its HDD failed the same way. It is still running fine with the replacement.

Reply 7830 of 53022, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Dell sometimes do very stupid sh*t. I still remember having to completly disassemble my dad's Inspiron 15R (Sandy bridge-based), including removing the motherboard, just to replace the HDD (and I've never seen an HDD fail so fast). Incidently, my dad's business partner bought the exact same laptop too (same store, at the same time), and its HDD failed the same way. It is still running fine with the replacement.

Dell are the most inconsistent company ever when it comes to design. Some of them are brilliant; the Latitude C600, for all its foibles, presents the RAM, modem card and CMOS battery right in one easily accessible panel in the base, which I think literally needs one screw removing to access it. The Inspiron 8000 makes me have to take apart the palmrest to get at the CMOS battery, which is annoying as hell. And both those designs were from basically the same time, possibly a year or two apart at most!

Reply 7832 of 53022, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT4390 AWE64 Gold 😀
6tUtCtll.jpg

2x Voodoo 2
GONU8Kpl.jpg?1
3gCZLEAl.jpg?1

CT4380 AWE64 (Value?)
16vXN7Wl.jpg?1

CT7120 Creative DXR2 (for free, not very useful but fun, I guess)
LDb9r1Yl.jpg

IBM Aptiva PIII 450 machine (I owned one very similar for years, and this one was free 😀)
8LPfGuBl.jpg

Pentium II 233MHz CPU
NzJTcW3l.jpg

2x Upgradeware Slot-T Slotkets with Tualatin Celerons @1400MHz and 1300MHz
0oLsYKwl.jpg?1

Cyrix MII (still looking for the first CPU I ever owned myself, the 6x86L 200+ (the 2x75MHz one)
1hQGAW2l.jpg

More pictures here: http://cyrix200.imgur.com/

1982 to 2001

Reply 7833 of 53022, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

2x Upgradeware Slot-T Slotkets with Tualatin Celerons @1400MHz and 1300MHz

Nice! Would love to have one of these.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7834 of 53022, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a nice upgraded HP Vectra VE computer here:

DSC_0001850_zpsgvrocd81.jpg

DSC_0006777_zpsn53ijtur.jpg

DSC_0007778_zps2zopzne2.jpg

DSC_0008779_zpsw7qou3br.jpg

The specs are as follows:

-HP Vectra from around 1996\1997 with windows 95
-Pentium non MMX 166 Mhz
-Voodoo 1 4MB
-Creative Sound Blaster 16bit ISA
-3Com Etherlink III Network Card ISA 10Mbps (lanparty baby!!)
-6 GB hard drive
-48 mb of EDO ram memory

Not a top notch performer but one could say this would be a killer gaming machine back in 1997!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 7835 of 53022, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:
Got a nice upgraded HP Vectra VE computer here: […]
Show full quote

-Pentium non MMX 166 Mhz
-Voodoo 1 4MB
-6 GB hard drive
-48 mb of EDO ram memory

Not a top notch performer but one could say this would be a killer gaming machine back in 1997!

That's a cool machine. Usually those desktops are very boring 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 7837 of 53022, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
rick6 wrote:
Got a nice upgraded HP Vectra VE computer here: […]
Show full quote

-Pentium non MMX 166 Mhz
-Voodoo 1 4MB
-6 GB hard drive
-48 mb of EDO ram memory

That's a cool machine. Usually those desktops are very boring 😀

True, but these upgrades remedy that by a long shot! I can play Unreal 1 and Unreal Tournament with 20fps (give or take) at 640x480. 🤣 Hell yeah! 😢

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 7838 of 53022, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Corporate dull machines of yesterday make fantastic retrogaming machines today!
I have a Vectra VE 4/66 and I think its close to a perfect dos machine. By the way, having that hdd upside down made me unease, I followed the manual instructions and installed it "the proper way" under the CD-ROM. It is much easier than expected.

Reply 7839 of 53022, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELEPACMAN wrote:

Corporate dull machines of yesterday make fantastic retrogaming machines today!
I have a Vectra VE 4/66 and I think its close to a perfect dos machine. By the way, having that hdd upside down made me unease, I followed the manual instructions and installed it "the proper way" under the CD-ROM. It is much easier than expected.

I'd agree with this; my Vectra VLi8 is a great Windows 98 machine, particularly as the onboard Matrox G200 chip is widely supported by games. Granted, it takes up the AGP bus, but it goes nicely with my Voodoo 2 and isn't a total handicap for the 450 MHz PIII (compared to some solutions).