VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don';t know why but I hooked up two boards today and they are both reporting the wrong amounts of memory.. It's like 25% or 5% of the amount is being reported...

128 piece showed 32
256 showed 64
and 64 showed 3.5

Has anyone seen this? I'm using the DIMM slot on the boards and MMX P1.. Some weird malconfig? It just seems odd to have multiple pieces report wrong, multiple motherboards, and I also tried multiple MMX chips.. weird

Anyone?

Reply 1 of 4, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whether you are installing DIMM or SIMM memory? Seems that your mainboard have an Intel 430VX or VIA Apollo VP chipset which cannot support 64 mbit SDRAM modules.
Also it can be a BIOS issue, check amount of installed memory in Windows.

--wbcbz7

Reply 2 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Via Apollo VPX can be coerced to see 256MB in a single sdram slot if you use a dual sided 512MB module, at least that was the case with my Soyo SY-5EAS board.

The boards usually cant cache more than 64MB so unless you have a K6-2+ or a K6-3(+) CPU with L2 cache more memory than that wont do much good.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 4, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely the modules are incompatible with the mainboard/chipsets to a certain extent. In that case it is quite common that modules are detected with lower than nominal capacity.
You should post detailed info about the mobos and memory modules if you want to have a specific answer.