VOGONS

First post, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm working on a Dos computer for 2 years (It take time because i dont want to ruin myself to build it ...) I've got a p2, clock a 266mhz, 128mg of sdram pc133, an 3df voodoo 3 3000 card, 1.44 and 1.2 FFD and a yahama opl-sax for the sound. I will receive a ct2290 soon. If i'm lucky enough i will get back a old ATI Stereo FX i gave to my brother some time ago.

This setup seem pretty complete, it think it will be perfect with a Gravis Ultrasound Ace, but it quite rare to find ... and not cheap ... i just wonder if somebody here have an idea where i can maybe find it. (sorry for my english, i'm not so got at it)

Reply 1 of 14, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm designing an enhanced clone of the GUS PnP - which can do everything a GUS ACE can.
You're roughly a week too late tho for the first batch. Meanwhile try eBay.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 3 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I continue to keep an eye out for an GUS-ACE for you. Just drop me a message here on Vogons, so I don't forget "who asked what at what point".
If you by any chance had a full GUS (classic or max), then I would advice you to hold on to it and forget the ACE.
The only advantage it has, over real gus's, are that the ACE have line-through, meaning that you will not have to battle swapping cable's.
Anyway... Drop me a line, so I can remember that you asked, and I will report any cards for sale that I come across.
If I know were you are living on the globe, then I have a better "window" of finding the right card to report back to you about.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 14, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only major advantage of the ACE is that you can disable the AdLib ports - something you can do with any InterWave based card.
Also no sample rate drop.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 6 of 14, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had any trouble with the Adlib ports with the Classic. I think it's pretty much the same thing as the ACE. It does actually have a physical joystick port that you can enable or disable, instead of the ACE's 'virtual' one. 🤣

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 7 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't had any trouble with my ACE, regarding the joystick port.
On the other hand, I have not had a use for joysticks the last 15 years or so.
I can only speak for any conflict's that might affect the rest of the computer.
And I have not found any setup conflicts what so ever with an ACE and a SB16.
(Or any AWE cards eighter)

The only issue with the ACE, that I have come across, is in Fasttracker2.
If the files are bigger than aprox 425kb, the ACE has some trouble.
This is purely because I don't have more than the standard 512kb mem.
What strikes me as odd, is that any SB16 cards, works with +512kb files.
As the SB16 really do not have any mem, it must be the way FT2 is made.

On the other hand. FT2 is great on a AWE64-Gold, bacuase of the RCA plugs.
On all other Soundblaster compatible cards with Jack, FT2 runs just about the same.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't follow your FT2 argumentation.
The ACE is treated as wavetable device with its own RAM. If you have 512 kB you can load 512 kB of instrument samples in theory, but this gets reduced due to padding to 256 kB memory boundaries. So 425 kB used seem to be quite reasonable.
SB16 is a pure player device with the instrument in the computer RAM. No limit to 512 kB, no padding so it works easily with instrument samples that are more than 512 kB in summed size.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upgrade your ACE to 1MB with one 256K x 16 80+ns FPM 40-pin SOJ DRAM. That will fix any program expecting more than 512KB of sample RAM.

Use Ultrainit v2.26a and nothing else to disable the ACE's joystick port properly. I wish it did have a joystick port, the port on the SB Pro is not reliable at fast 386 speeds and above.

The GUS ACE is not a PnP card, the Interwave-based cards are. It is also the smallest GUS by far, it does not extend past the ISA card connector and it will fit in tight cases. It does not need compatibility software loaded for certain games.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 12 of 14, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple answer: The clarity and definition of the FM sound from the Yamaha OPL3-SAx (718, 719 series) is way superior over most (if not ANY) Creative card with a real OPL3 (no CQM) FM circuit.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.