VOGONS

Windows 98 on SSD - No DMA mode

Topic actions

First post, by Smid1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all vogons users!

Recently i aquired a lot of 1994-1999 era hardware and have tried to honor vogons user "Phils computerlab" by building my own DOS/WIN98 timemachine.

These are my current specs:
Intel Pentium II 233Mhz CPU
Intel 440LX based motherboard (brand yet unknown)
256mb Kingston PC133 SDRam
Nvidia GeForce FX5500 (yeah maybe a bit overkill, will probably replace it by something more period correct)
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Seagate medallist 4 gig Harddrive.

Now to my problem/issue:
I forgot how loud those old harddrives are and just for the heck of it i replaced my Seagate with a Samsung 128Gb SSD. (with IDE to SATA adapter and cap limit to 32gb).
Spoiler: a SSD does not give you the performance you might expect. Sure it is a bit snappier but no way near as big of a boost i expected.

Looking into devicemanager reveals that DMA-mode is not checked. With the Seagate i had this checked and functional.
Cheking the box with my SSD will result in a reboot (as expected) but after reboot the DMA option is unchecked.

I installed the intel 440 drivers but this made no difference.

Does anybody know if and how i can remedy this?

Thanks in advance

ps. i will try to take some pictures of all the hardware i bought in one lot and post them on vogons.
There are some Voodoo2 cards, 1 Voodoo3 3500 TV (without breakoutbox so no way to connect it) and a Guillemot SC8500 ISA soundcard included.

Reply 1 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice time machine 😊

I've ran into the same issue as you. Some hard drives and combinations of SATA drives and SATA to IDE adapters simply don't let you enable DMA. You could try the unofficial Service Pack 3, it has an option to enable DMA mode for IDE drives, but I doubt it will make a difference.

What SATA to IDE adapter do you use?

To notice the benefit of SSD, that computer is really a bit too slow. Even on a 1 GHz Pentium III, a fast platter drive feels no different. But with SSD prices coming down, I can see more and more people using SSD in retro machines.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 22, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Phil actually mentions in one of his videos that some IDE to SATA convertors are better with DMA mode then others:

https://youtu.be/Edmg43t28jg?t=11m50s

I don't have any personal experience.

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 22, by Smid1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😊

The converter i used is a "house branded" one from Conrad.
https://www.conrad.nl/nl/sata-naar-ide-harde- … ter-974497.html

I will try the servicepack option and report back

Reply 4 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm wondering what chip is on that converter. The main one that I use is this model:

I'm not sure what chip it is, but I have another model with a different chip and it doesn't work as well.

XKzoyd0h.jpg

eeac8zah.jpg

Reply 5 of 22, by Smid1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Servicepack tested...... no luck 😢

My IDE SATA adapter has a marvell chip on it
88SA8052-NNC2

Sata.jpg
Filename
Sata.jpg
File size
2.07 MiB
Views
File comment
The adapter
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Chip.jpg
Filename
Chip.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File comment
The Marvell chip
File license

Reply 6 of 22, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smid1980 wrote:

... Spoiler: a SSD does not give you the performance you might expect. Sure it is a bit snappier but no way near as big of a boost i expected ...

SSDs just blow spinners out of the water, specially on 4K and access time.

F8vezKyh.png cINk59yF.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 8 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:
SSDs just blow spinners out of the water, specially on 4K and access time. […]
Show full quote
Smid1980 wrote:

... Spoiler: a SSD does not give you the performance you might expect. Sure it is a bit snappier but no way near as big of a boost i expected ...

SSDs just blow spinners out of the water, specially on 4K and access time.

F8vezKyh.png cINk59yF.png

Is that Windows XP on a 440BX system?

I find modern SATA drives to work very well in faster Pentium III machines with SATA to IDE adapter. Here a 1.4 GHz system:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 22, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Is that Windows XP on a 440BX system?

Yep, Corsair F40 SATA2 SSD connected to a Promise PCI RAID controller card, Tekram P6BX-A 440BX board with a Tualatin 1400S running on modded slocket. Benchmarks were run on XP SP3.

KDoBgOP6.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 10 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice. Never tried running XP to do some benchmarking on a Pentium III. It would allow me to use a lot more / better benchmarks like the one you're using.

Reply 11 of 22, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The onboard IDE of 440BX/440LX should be limited to UDMA33. I suppose a separate PCI controller is a good idea when using an SSD, in which case you could as well use a SATA controller.

Reply 13 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smid1980 wrote:

I installed the intel 440 drivers but this made no difference.

If I'm not mistaken, what you need is the Intel Application Accelerator, which is a separate download from the chipset drivers. You'll also need an 80-conductor IDE cable.

Reply 14 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well the 440BX is ATA33 no 80pin cable needed, you need an ATA 100/133 controller ideally, for your system they should preform pretty much the same as your CPU wont keep up

Reply 15 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel 440 chipsets only need drivers for Windows 95. Actually Windows 95B/C might not even need them...

I would buy another SATA / IDE adapter. Try one with a JMicron chip. These things are cheap on ebay. I have a couple of different types that work quite well with an OCZ Vertex 2 across all chipsets I've tried including 440BX.

A SATA PCI card is an option too but they tend to be troublesome as well.

The alignment challenge is easily solved by using a SATA/USB dongle on a modern PC to partition the drive. Handy for loading files onto it too.

Reply 17 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

id still advise getting an ATA100/133 controller card they arn't expensive

Yeah. However the reason I bought the SATA/IDE adapters is because PCI SATA/IDE cards have caused me so much trouble over the years. I've used several Promise cards and also a Silicon Image board. You tend to just get more stability by using the onboard IDE. UDMA33 is certainly a bottleneck but it really doesn't matter that much in practice.

Reply 18 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the one I got was a Maxtor ATA100 card with a promise controller, its been rock solid stable in my K6-3, also tested it with a modern system my now dead FX-6300 and it was again rock solid stable.

Reply 19 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

Well the one I got was a Maxtor ATA100 card with a promise controller, its been rock solid stable in my K6-3, also tested it with a modern system my now dead FX-6300 and it was again rock solid stable.

Sure. But some motherboards are less accommodating of PCI cards. Especially once you get a setup like PCI IDE, PCI audio and PCI NIC going and they are sharing resources with each other or with onboard hardware...

That Maxtor card is a Promise Ultra 100. Just go do some searching on conflicts, bsod, freeze and such on that one. It's not that this card is specifically troublesome. These problems are typical of most PCI IDE cards.