VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a few weeks ago I checked out support.toshiba.com and they had at least two BIOS versions and some software for Libretto 50CT, 70CT, 100/110CT. Unfortunately, they don't have them anymore:

before: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search? … n&ct=clnk&gl=ru
now: http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome? … Text=1073769619

Does anybody have these files? I don't want to risk using filthy sites like driverguide. Specifically, I'm looking for Libretto 70CT BIOS v.6.20, v6.40 and the set of original utilities. However, if anybody has BIOS for other Librettos, it would make a great addition for the driver library.

Reply 1 of 12, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noted the other day that support for the Satellite 410 was gone too. I will soon mirror the 410CDT files I still have on my FTP, I do not have any of the ones for the Libretto, perhaps the file names can be found in the HTML of the cached page and looked for on FileWatcher or Google.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out, local toshiba websites still have some stuff:
Latest BIOS versions: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_ … .jsp?service=UK
Drivers: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_ … .jsp?service=UK

Product type: Archived files
Family:Libretto
Series:1xx or x0

I still need BIOS v6.20 though 🙁

Reply 4 of 12, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Always archive vintage files from machines that you commonly use / are interested in. Vintage files like that won't stay on the internet forever, especially if you want to jump forward 20 years from now-- how even more scarce a lot of this will become.

I've already performed a mass archive of many websites. One good piece of software is HTTRACK: http://www.httrack.com/

Reply 7 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whenever I download drivers or installers for anything I own, I keep the files archived. However, this can still be a problem when I get something new and it's support pages are already gone.
It wasn't long ago that I needed to grab drivers from Toshiba's site for a particular model Pentium-75MHz laptop that I had picked up from Goodwill. I was glad they were still there.
It's kind of annoying that stuff like this is being deleted. Storage is cheaper than ever, and the files in question for old obsolete devices will almost by definition be small by modern standards. They don't need to "maintain" the current trendy look for that part of the web site, just throw them into an FTP directory or something.

raymangold wrote:

I've already performed a mass archive of many websites. One good piece of software is HTTRACK: http://www.httrack.com/

The few times I've used httrack, I'm always paranoid that a site admin or even some automated server script is going to take offense and IP ban me. I've read some stories about that happening. The default downloading settings are so aggressive that it worries me, so I always end up configuring it to be much, much slower. I have no idea what level of abuse actually gets an admin's attention though, and I don't think asking them directly would go over well. I figure staying below the radar is best.

I've had difficulty getting it configured to crawl a site just as I intend, without missing important sections or files but also without trying to archive the entire internet. I've had to do a lot of trial and error on that, and I almost always find flaws with my attempts, but at some point I settle for "good enough".

I had one quite large mirror project that thankfully had a straightforward site structure but lots of large files. I think it took over a month, and it still didn't quite finish before a power outage cut it short. That's the downside of trying to be inoffensively slow I guess. Sadly httrack is pretty broken when it comes to supposedly being able to resume an incomplete mirror. It doesn't really work as far as I can tell.

To the extent that I can tame it and get it to do what I actually want it to do, it's an awesome tool though. It's just really tricky and intimidating to get it set up right, and I find it requires a dedicated machine with no particular timeframe for completion, and a lot of patience for starting over when I screw something up. But when it goes right, the end result can be amazing.

A few years ago I mirrored a few motherboard manufacturer support sites, but I missed important files in some of those.
The oldest "mirror" I have is a set of CDs that I got mailed from Intel. It's a copy of some portions of their web site from 1998. Recently I looked at it trying to find high quality motherboard pictures, but they weren't high quality at all. It was 1998, the age of dialup.

Reply 8 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're going to be mirroring websites, you at the very least need to learn how to use wget. It's a command-line tool, originally for Linux, and there's Windows command-line ports available.

Better yet, you can go join the community known as archiveteam.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:

The few times I've used httrack, I'm always paranoid that a site admin or even some automated server script is going to take offense and IP ban me. I've read some stories about that happening. The default downloading settings are so aggressive that it worries me, so I always end up configuring it to be much, much slower. I have no idea what level of abuse actually gets an admin's attention though, and I don't think asking them directly would go over well. I figure staying below the radar is best.

I've been using httrack since the day I got my hands on my first Atom netbook. It was more "book" than "net": most places in Omsk didn't have any kind of internet, so I ended up downloading literture websites/libraries. Then I switched to backing up static retro websites like red hill hardware.

Never got banned by IP btw... I find the default settings very slow and I always tune them up. Httrack will either download the website in a matter of hours or CTD with memory overflow 😁 I remember downloading from elhvb.com at 10MB/s. No one seemed to mind 😀 If Edwin is reading me, thank you and please don't be angry 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just visited their global website, the drivers have been re-uploaded on August, 8 2015. Now this is a rare occasion!
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome? … Text=1073769619

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since last year or so a lot of old hardware/software is disappearing from web sites. Stuff that's been around for decades. I'm blaming the fact that everything is being redesigned portable devices and guess it makes things cheaper/easier to not bother with out of date stuff. Even a lot of the old Microsoft stuff has gone like browsers.

I also have a copy of anything I download and use but its the stuff I'm getting now is the problem