VOGONS

486 Industrial Baby AT Motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out, that Electronic Solutions Associates is producing industrial AT motherboards according to their website.

http://www.esapcsolutions.com/industrial-moth … oards-c-45.html

Have anyone here bought or used these for gaming purposes?

Reply 1 of 20, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those look pretty interesting, but I doubt they're cheap - for that matter, I don't think they would agree to selling only one board - most outfits like this sell a minimum of 10 or so boards... Worth trying tough.

Reply 2 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a feeling that they are really expensive.

Reply 3 of 20, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also think they may be expensive. Couldn't find prices on the website, so sent an email to them and waiting for an answer.

Reply 4 of 20, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would have liked two PCI slots too - I doubt those things have any kind of decent on-board video (if any).

EDITED: It would seem that some of their boards have "On-board Silicon Graphics™ controller with 4MB memory" - but those don't have a CPU or ram sockets. I don't really mind the lack of ram sockets, but I would like a CPU socket (preferably a ZIF type). The CPU is a little wierd as well. It's a System on chip design: http://www.zfmicro.com/pdf/WebProductBrief.pdf and only has 8kb of L1 WB cache. They could have included 16kb, if not 32. One cool thing about it is it seems to have a built-in USB controller - although I'm not sure how useful that would be on a 486.

Reply 5 of 20, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Request quote" is a synonym for "you can't afford it."

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 6 of 20, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calvin wrote:

"Request quote" is a synonym for "you can't afford it."

that made me giggle 😁

Reply 7 of 20, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

better question what company is still buying 486 class hardware new? Every company I've worked for in the last decade has been trying to replace their 486's with modern equipment

Reply 8 of 20, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

better question what company is still buying 486 class hardware new? Every company I've worked for in the last decade has been trying to replace their 486's with modern equipment

Old CNC mills that used to cost $50,000....and still cost $20,000. Made in 1985-1995 era.

Something like THIS https://www.machinetools.com/en/for-sale/3239 … chining-centers

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 9 of 20, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get the impression that they don't have any left, because no matter what quantity I enter on the Request Quote page (Maximum seems to be 99), it says the requested quantity doesn't exist in stock. It's entirely possible they've long been out of them and just haven't gotten around yet to removing them from their catalog.

Reply 10 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

I get the impression that they don't have any left, because no matter what quantity I enter on the Request Quote page (Maximum seems to be 99), it says the requested quantity doesn't exist in stock. It's entirely possible they've long been out of them and just haven't gotten around yet to removing them from their catalog.

I don't get that problem. I get a signup/login prompt.

Reply 11 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So anyone got a price?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 20, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

I don't get that problem. I get a signup/login prompt.

It's easy to miss. When you're on the "What's in my cart" page, it shows three red *** symbols next to the item. There's a note at the bottom of the page saying items marked with the red *** aren't available in the selected quantity. Unfortunately, it shows this for every item and every quantity I've tried.

Reply 13 of 20, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I asked if they sell motherboards for individuals and just got an answer from their customer service. So it could be a good option if it works with old Sound Blasters. The price is quite high (I assume that ea should be dollars?)

Yes, we sell motherboards in single quantities. […]
Show full quote

Yes, we sell motherboards in single quantities.

ESA-486AVR-008 8MB SRAM 331.00ea. Stock

http://www.esapcsolutions.com/industrial-baby … dram-p-187.html

The motherboard has been tested with MSDOS 6.22, Win 3.11, and Win98.

While there is still no guarantee that the board will work in your application, we will help you to fine tune the board if necessary.

Reply 14 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty expensive as most people here guessed. Actually not quite as bad as I thought it might be.

Reply 15 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

Pretty expensive as most people here guessed. Actually not quite as bad as I thought it might be.

Agreed.That's quite affordable. The CPU and RAM is included right?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 20, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I wouldn't spend 330$ on it. I'd have spent 100$ TOPS for the model w/o ram or a CPU. If I had 300$ to throw around I'd have gotten a Voodoo 5 5500 off ebay by now.

Reply 17 of 20, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting how some people rather spend 300$ than 3hours on a flea market / junk yard.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 18 of 20, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well these are new and have a warranty

Reply 19 of 20, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow 3 years warranty. Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"