VOGONS

First post, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently building a dual pentium2 333 system . the ram that i got with the board runs stable and passes memory tests . However it gives a SPD checksum error when checking either pci info or memory info on speedsys .The ram is three corsair cm654s64-10 64mb modules .

I have tested them individually and get the same results so i know its all three and not just one or two. They also cause speedsys to crash while saving test information . I've not run into this issue before ( at least that I can remember ) so looking for any info you guys have . I assume the ram is failing but i'd expect it to cause system instability ,so I'm a bit curious as to whats going on . I have enough 128mb modules to max it out but was hopping to run what it came with . pc133 seems wrong in a 66mhz bus system 🤣

IMG00565-20150620-0941_zpslwi6ieii.jpg I had to share , I've wanted to build a system like this since the hardware would have been new . I am enjoying it 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try running Mini XP from Hiren's Boot CD and then CPU-Z from a USB and see if it can read the SPD.

In general, SDRAM is cheap and easy to come by. So not a big deal 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 5, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have a lot of spending cash ,any amount I can save helps . cpu-z 1.10 (other versions I tried did not run properly)running off my test hard drive(win2k) shows the size ,voltage and nothing else .

cpu-z_zpszaprtgts.png

Reply 4 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find it hard to believe that all 3 of those modules have a corrupted SPD file. I think it's more likely that the software is just having a problem reading it for whatever reason. Does the same issue occur using a different motherboard?

A corrupt SPD won't directly affect the RAM at runtime, it just means the BIOS might not get the correct information from the modules to configure them correctly at boot. But if the BIOS is still setting them up correctly and it's working, then it's working. If they are corrupt, the fault could be somewhere inconsequential. As I recall I think half of the storage space is considered optional, and in the half that matters, probably not all of those values would have serious consequences if they were wrong. For example, some of them are things like the serial number and manufacturer.

So even if the SPD checksum error is a true event, I'd just make sure the performance is as expected and that they are stable under stress. If they are good on both counts, then I wouldn't worry much about it. It would be nice if they weren't doing this, but given that this probably is not a critical machine and you'd rather not buy parts you don't need, I think it can be ignored as long as it passes functional testing.

Reply 5 of 5, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Maybe those particular pieces of memory do not have SPD?

I though all sdram had SPD . These do have the SPD EEPROM on them .

shamino wrote:

I find it hard to believe that all 3 of those modules have a corrupted SPD file. I think it's more likely that the software is just having a problem reading it for whatever reason. Does the same issue occur using a different motherboard?

A corrupt SPD won't directly affect the RAM at runtime, it just means the BIOS might not get the correct information from the modules to configure them correctly at boot. But if the BIOS is still setting them up correctly and it's working, then it's working. If they are corrupt, the fault could be somewhere inconsequential. As I recall I think half of the storage space is considered optional, and in the half that matters, probably not all of those values would have serious consequences if they were wrong. For example, some of them are things like the serial number and manufacturer.

So even if the SPD checksum error is a true event, I'd just make sure the performance is as expected and that they are stable under stress. If they are good on both counts, then I wouldn't worry much about it. It would be nice if they weren't doing this, but given that this probably is not a critical machine and you'd rather not buy parts you don't need, I think it can be ignored as long as it passes functional testing.

when tested individually under speedsys they all give the checksum error . I have not tested them under cpu z individually but I expect the same result after how it reacted when testing them all .

I did test two PNY 128mb pc133 modules out of my pIII system in this board and they did not give a checksum error . I can test the corsair ram in another board and report back .

They do work for now and do pass functionality testing . No issues with system instability that I have run across . I suppose I'll just add ram to the list of things I need for this build and use these for the time being . And since I seem to have lost my copy of nt 4 I need to add that to the list as well 😢