VOGONS

First post, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Christmas has come early at my workplace! At the recycle pile were two systems, one a 486DX and the other a 386DX-25. The 486 works perfectly and has quite an interesting set of files on it, but my main question has to do with the 386 system.

Because it has no power supply, I was wondering if I could use the 486 system's PSU to test it.

The only problem is that it appears to use a different connector on the board's end than the 386:

386connector.jpg
Filename
386connector.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File comment
386 motherboard connector with PSU cables.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note the round pons with no notches in the plastic bit that sticks up on the end.

The 486 for reference:

486connector.jpg
Filename
486connector.jpg
File size
2.43 MiB
Views
File comment
486 motherboard connector.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note the flat pins with notches.

How should I connect the 386 board, or should I do so at all?

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 1 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For what concerns power and pinout, you can safely connect it. Be carefull at the orientation, notice that the small holes at the bottom look at the opposite ways in the 386 and the 486.

BUT, I had a single case with this unusual connector where the pins were too thin for a normal AT PSU connector and didn't do proper/constant contact. Make sure this is OK, pay attention to the connector direction, keep the "blacks" in the middle and you're good to go...

Reply 2 of 3, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is this what the top, smaller holes on the connector are for, or should I try the rectangular ones.

Sorry I'm so confused with all of this, but I grew up with ATX 😒

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 3 of 3, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I got it to start, but the speaker emitted a constant tone and the screen was horribly disorted.