VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought a MB-8433UUD-A and I updated the bios to the newset version that was edited by Feipoa, I tried a single stick of EDO and FPM and I tweaked the bios to the fastest options and I'm getting slow results with it. I am using the 133 AMD WB cpu, any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong?

Another question I have is when I first got it I tested the ISA ports using a Tseng 4000 and I noticed the card is fine in all the ports except the very first one next to the pci slots, the last two pictures is what I see using the Tseng, is that just my card doing that?

DSC08433.jpg

DSC08434.jpg

DSC08435.jpg

DSC08436.jpg

DSC08437.jpg

DSC08438.jpg

DSC08429.jpg

DSC08430.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you download this benchmark suite from here: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/phils-ultimat … se-project.html

Unpack the file somewhere onto your machine and then run bench,bat.

Follow the prompts for 3dbench, pcpbench, doom and quake. This will give you a better idea.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 10, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a STB Velocity 3d 4MB card here are the results

Doom 2134 Gametics 1695 Realtics
Quake 969 Frames 78.6 Seconds 12.3 FPS
780 3D Bench
19.4 PCB

I noticed PCB would randomly freeze and I had to restart once before it went all the way through.

I also used a S3 Trio 64 GACC2 and got about the same results 785 was the difference.

By the way are these PCI card supposed to get kinda on the hot side on the chip?

Reply 3 of 10, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding the freezes, it could be that you use to fast timings for the cache, as you are using only one bank of 256kB Cache Modules. Better use 2-2-2 settings.
About speed I have no idea how fast or slow the board is in relation to competitors.
Did you check that turbo switch is turned on?

Reply 5 of 10, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I have 512K cache those are 10ns 1024 chips, I put a jumper on the Turbo Switch everything was moving very slow is that right?

3dDBenchmark is showing 20.1
Doom is 2136 Gametics 4716 Realtics
PCB 7.2
Quake 4.4 FPS

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turboman wrote:
I used a STB Velocity 3d 4MB card here are the results […]
Show full quote

I used a STB Velocity 3d 4MB card here are the results

Doom 2134 Gametics 1695 Realtics
Quake 969 Frames 78.6 Seconds 12.3 FPS
780 3D Bench
19.4 PCB

I noticed PCB would randomly freeze and I had to restart once before it went all the way through.

I also used a S3 Trio 64 GACC2 and got about the same results 785 was the difference.

By the way are these PCI card supposed to get kinda on the hot side on the chip?

These scores are right on the money!

Here is a copy paste of the results from my board with the same processor and also a S3 Trio.

Am5x86 133 Am5x86-133 Integrated FPU 486 (Socket 1-3) 33 MHz 4x 133 MHz 79.9 20.4 46.28 1614 12.6 79.28 Biostar 8433UUD-A VER:2 Replaced RTC to DALLAS, replaced BIOS chip with flash UMC UMC UM8886BF Modified UUD1212 BIOS from Feipoa 2-1-1-1 Cache WS, DRAM read: 0WS, DRAM write: 0WS 256KB 15ns 8MB FPM RAM 60ns PCI Unknown / Generic S3 Trio64V+ S3 Trio64V+ 2MB MS-DOS 6.22 / No memory managers

The speedsys results are also right on target. The benchmark bar aligns perfectly with the 133 486 marker. So I don't know what the issue is?

You have to realise that this is "just" a 486. It won't be nearly as fast as a Pentium MMX for example. What software are you planning on using with this machine?

Reply 7 of 10, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ philscomputerlab, don't get me wrong I wasn't sure if everything was working ok, I bought the board and noticed some damage to the ram slot holders so, I was just tiring to rule out any possible problems.
What I was wondering though is why it shows 42.52mbs in speedsys at the top when others that have used it and posted pictures show it well over 100mbs?

I'll be using it for DOS and windows 95 to play games Doom, Quake, Hexen etc. that's about it. I was planning to install Windows 95 over DOS but it's been a long time and don't remember how to do that correctly or if I'm supposed to go Windows 95 all the way?

I'll have a 8.4gb hard drive, AWE32 CT2670, 64MB EDO, Not sure which video card I want to use yet. I have the Velocity 4mb, ATi Mach 64 GX, ATi Rage II, Matrox Millennium and Matrox Millennium G200.

Reply 8 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speedsys is one benchmark I never use 😀

The gaming benchmarks show that your machine is performing as expected.

Doom should fly. Quake is much better played on a Pentium or faster. Hexen I'm not sure, maybe somewhere in-between?

I would stick with DOS on this machine. Leave a Pentium or Pentium II / III for a Windows 9x machine.

Reply 10 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turboman wrote:

Alright, I'll do that then. Which video card would you recommend I use from that list? thanks.

Shouldn't matter. Pick the one that gives you the best image on the monitor. Likely Matrox. S3 are also great, I like using a Trio 64 V+ but the image quality is not as good as Matrox.