VOGONS

Asus P2B-DS?

Topic actions

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know anything about plus's and minus's regarding this board?
If anyone have such board, how is it to work with?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1 of 46, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this board, Asus P2B-DS Version 1.06.
It is a great board, it can support 2x Tualatin Pentium III 1.4GHz and FSB 150MHz easily. Just needs some modding.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 46, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently just finished a PC built around this Asus P2B-DS Build
and if you dig further back so have others
BX board + Asus + Server class = very reliable
I've got an earlier 1.03 board which maxes out with Katmai CPU's without some heavy mods well beyond my skill, This page explains alot
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Duel CPU's aren't really that useful, Although if your playing Win9x games only I was pleasantly surprised that 99% were fine in Win2k which is much more stable as well.

Reply 3 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This sounds great. Win2k it is then. Hmmm...
What is the fastest P3's that this board can handle?
And wich gfx would be considered a decent solution?

If I get one, it will be installed with an AWE64-Gold.
The rest is well.... Have to figure it out then. 😁

Reply 4 of 46, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coppermine processors, but depending on revision it could be equipped with an voltage regulator for Tualatins.
I used Voodoo 5 on mine.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some dual boards, but not that one. (do have compaq dual slot1 450, asus dual 370 1ghz, asus dual athlon xp 2400+ and tyan dual tualatin p3-1400)

They are fun to play with but i can't seem to find a really good retro use for them. Single seems to be just a little faster and old games don't use dual anyway.
I also really like 98se better and for xp there is no excuse (for me) not to just take a much faster dualcore cpu.

So, fun stuff, but for me not very useful.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 46, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The dual P2B... A cheap, Chinese version of boards such as the SuperMicro P6D** but with the advantage that it can be modded to run faster processors than its American counterparts. The layout is a bit horrible, the components are middle of the road and it has an ugly Asus label so you know it won't last as long but it's a decent board. I think they're kind of cool just for being SMP anyway.

What they are good for... Well beyond their novelty they're fun to throw older XP games at because some of them run surprisingly well and at the same time you can switch to Win98 (Which will use only one CPU) and play DOS games well - such as the Build engine titles, Quake engine games or Unreal. I use mine for stuff like that as well as a few workstation duties, it stands in to edit video if nothing else is working (Though editing 720p videos is not much fun, it can do it), still use it to edit graphics and also render the occasionally thing in 3D because why not.

Would I recommend it? It's an ASUS, so no, boards from Tyan/SuperO will be much better even if they have a shorter upgrade path. But if the price is right, you'd also be a fool not to grab it because it is still a very good board and you probably won't be using it for anything mission critical like I am mine.

As a point of reference, my system contains;
SuperMicro P6DGU.
Pentium III Coppermine 1GHz (Running at 750MHz without overclocking, I usually leave them at ~840MHz).
2GB SDRAM (Non-ECC).
2x18GB Quantum Atlas III SCSI hard drives.
2x20GB IDE hard drives - I cannot remember the brand right now... Might be crappy Maxtors as they're on my "To replace" list.
ESS 1869 ISA Sound card. I had an AWE64 but it died and the audio isn't too important to me on this system... It may inherit something better soon though.
ATI Radeon VE - Waiting on a Quadro 2 Pro to replace it. The machine used to have a Matrox card in apparently.

It dual boots Win98 and WinXP, can still surf the web fine. Would even run Vista if I wanted it to. By far the most flexible system I own, you can easily see how one could make something ridiculous and interesting due to having all three expansion BUS types. You could easily be silly and slap in an overpowered video card (ATi made AGP cards which work in my board up until around 5 years back) and if you wanted to ruin it you could jam a Voodoo 2 in the PCI slot. At the same time you can run an older sound card like the AWE 64 and enjoy DOS games. Everything loads quickly - at least, until all the SCSI-2 LVD drives die out. I don't know if the ASUS has Adaptec RAIDPort but even then, the SCSI speed will beat the living daylights out of an IDE drive.

Just be prepared to find a good PSU, most boards have a 6-Pin AUX connector and don't run well (if at all) if you either install a PSU which is anemic or don't connect it at all.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks to all. And thanks to Hightreason for clearing things up a bit further.
I am in the market for one. As I really like the idea of having a Dual-Boot Win-98/2K setup with 440BX, SCSI, ISA and all those other stuff.
It might be hard to get one. Well... Not hard. eBay are just really overpriced regarding this board.
I don't want to pay something like 300 US Dollars for a P-III board. That's just crazy.

Reply 8 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 @hightreason .... amazing way to diss a brand and still say they made a fine board.

Don't know what you have against Asus, did a board byte you or something?

They are my favorite for a few reasons but the most important: stability and the fact that of all the boards i have had in my hands (a LOT) almost none of the asus had bad caps (and simply work). Sure, there are other great boards but Asus is a great brand, even today.

What do you think about MSI? Because i have never seen another brand so stubborn in using cheap caps as MSI. Even in 2015 i have seen 2 boards fail that were only 2 years old and had bulging caps (graphics cards same thing).

Reply 9 of 46, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus is a good brand especially if you remember the market used to be flooded by PCChips and friends, but HighTreason seems to extract the very maximum of his P3-era hardware, and for that I do believe Asus falls short of brands that made actual server/workstation stuff (never heard a single bad comment about Tyan, for example). Anyway, for messing around this should be a superb board, and Asus is generally good when it comes to finding drivers and BIOS updates for their older stuff.

Reply 10 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Thanks to all. And thanks to Hightreason for clearing things up a bit further. I am in the market for one. As I really like the […]
Show full quote

Thanks to all. And thanks to Hightreason for clearing things up a bit further.
I am in the market for one. As I really like the idea of having a Dual-Boot Win-98/2K setup with 440BX, SCSI, ISA and all those other stuff.
It might be hard to get one. Well... Not hard. eBay are just really overpriced regarding this board.
I don't want to pay something like 300 US Dollars for a P-III board. That's just crazy.

There is one on ebay for 100 dollars, still a lot of money but far less as the others. And it comes with 2x800mhz cpu's and a matrox g400 (wich is a nice card) so it isn't a really bad deal. Board is tested.
Maybe you can convince him to ship it ouside the usa..

Reply 11 of 46, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus is hit and miss for me. They fill in a gray area in the middle. A few examples of how I see things with two companies each;

PCChips/Later BioStar - Transparent area; Rubbish, don't bother. At least not before the ECS buyout where some of their boards were actually decent, their only good boards prior to that were either by pure luck (M520) or were made by someone else (One that was a UMC reference design for the UM8498). Parts in the "transparent" area are usually dirt cheap and make promises they can't live up to, they use the worst parts possible.

ECS/ASRock (The latter is related to ASUS - owned by same company) - White area; Products which often show up in a white box which states "Pentium IV Motherboard" or similar. They are affordable and work as well as you could expect having promised very little on the box. The components are second-rate and they won't last as long as premium parts, but they'll get the job done and are OK for a consumer-grade box if you aren't doing anything heavy... For example, you want a Celeron system to go on Facebook. Occasionally something will perform better than expected like the ECS PF5 from a time when ECS went nuts and built awesome boards or some Envy24 cards from China which were identical to the M-Audio cards of the time but had better SNR at a lower price point. If you just want to game or go on the web these are by far the best choice when new as they are cheaper and will perform just as well as the more expensive parts in the gray area, you'll probably upgrade the machine long before the low-grade components become an issue.

ASUS/MSI - Gray area; Similar to the transparent area but with a higher price tag. These parts usually cost more and come in a flashy box, they use slightly better components but in reality offer little over their white area counterparts. The majority are cheap consumer parts and you're paying for a logo and a coat of paint to make you feel good. Employing one for workstation/server use is never a good idea. Sometimes a product in this category will work well like the ASUS AT3N7A-I which has an Intel Atom. The vast majority however, have short lifespans, stability issues and make more of those bold promises they will never reach. In short, the higher price tag makes these useless for anything and when companies from this area attempt to enter the Industrial or Server market they are usually ignored or laughed at.

SuperMicro/DFI - Black Area; These cost more, but you get what you pay for here. The warranty alone is longer than you'll probably need and the support if you take them up on it is much better. The device will likely be used by banks, data-centers and governments, all of which won't get you on another contract should they fail to live up to expectation. Strangely such devices usually come in a bland box which is clear on what the product is and what it is for - SuperO uses one box for many different boards - and the device looks plain. One look at the device will show you that only the best components are used, only the finest designers plan the layout and the soldering on its own is like a work of art. You will be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the device but the upgrade paths aren't always as long because they will not operate anything even CLOSE to where it will bring anything out of spec. Overall the best choice if you are doing something important.

My personal experience with ASUS has not been good, all but one ASUS product I have used has failed miserably. If it lasts long enough to be useful it has compatibility and stability problems but usually they just die without any warning. They are made of the cheapest materials possible, even if they use solid state caps they will be the worst ones available in Shenzhen at the time of its manufacture. Some of their more expensive parts are decent but at that cost (when new) one my as well fork out for proper hardware from Tyan/SuperO. Their cheaper parts leave you in a position where you may as well use their smaller subsidary ASRock of just buy an ECS who are a high volume maker - hence gray area.

Buying ASUS second hand is generally OK because all the crappy ones died years ago and mostly good ones remain, the P2B is one of their better boards and they work. They are certainly one of the better makers from the gray area and I'd take them over MSI any time... I can't think of MSI without thinking of the smell of burned electrolyte or the stability issues of the Core 2 Quad which were placed on top of the issues the CPU already had - but that's another story and isn't relevant to the thread. I just lean towards other makers if I can because of the experiences I have had personally, but I do use ASUS from time to time, old graphics cards usually it seems. In the case of my P3 I got it cheap years ago and I still have to rely on it, which is the only reason I really care now about the component quality as much as I do.

My opinions are sometimes controversial though and I understand that... You're looking at the guy who hates all Roland products, hates 3DFX, especially despises IBM and has no tolerance for Dell, Gateway or several other things other people seem to like. I have my reasons the same as anyone else. I also have high standards I think, sometimes unrealistic such as in the 3DFX argument - yeah, 3DFX's first card was garbage, but so was the solution from ATI and nVidia at the time, none meet the standards I set until years later. Just the way I think but that's enough rambling.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-07-31, 19:49. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still too much if you ask me. And shipping usually come too.
If shipping is 25 US Dollars. I would end up paying something like 180 US Dollars in total.
Including taxes and import charges, collected by the Danish authorities.

Naaa...
If I get a green light on sunday or monday from the seller I have located today.
I will be getting a P2B-DS and two P-III-550 for 44 US Dollars including shipping.
Nothing is 100% certain as of now. Cross my fingers...

Reply 13 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Still too much if you ask me. And shipping usually come too. If shipping is 25 US Dollars. I would end up paying something like […]
Show full quote

Still too much if you ask me. And shipping usually come too.
If shipping is 25 US Dollars. I would end up paying something like 180 US Dollars in total.
Including taxes and import charges, collected by the Danish authorities.

Naaa...
If I get a green light on sunday or monday from the seller I have located today.
I will be getting a P2B-DS and two P-III-550 for 44 US Dollars including shipping.
Nothing is 100% certain as of now. Cross my fingers...

yes, 100 dollars is still a lot but it is a package and when compared with others is not too bad (but i agree, i wouldn't pay that either).

44 sounds like a much better deal, hope you get it!

Reply 14 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ hightreason: At least we agree on Pcchips, Biostar and Msi.
I've build a cheap gaming pc for my son years ago based on a biostar board and it worked perfectly for a few years of heavy gaming.... i still consider that a miracle.

Pcchips was the mistake i made on a few occasions in a time there was no internet for the masses and these boards were very affordable. Well they were just TOO cheap. I always had stability problems back then but i knew little about motherboards and especially psu's. I learned my lessons.

Asus failed the least on me, and i have seen a lot. I have been into computers from xt/286 and started building myself since 486dx-2. I build a lot of computers for friends and family and started selling used pc's online.
So i have bought a lot of new and used parts and Asus for me was the most reliable (but indeed a bit expensive). Aopen was also very good,
Many, many dead boards from MSi, they still make nice boards with crappy parts. Gygabyte/Epox/Abit made some nice boards too but getting working ones on a used market was always 50/50. New they were ok for at least a few years (like Asrock).

I did like Asrock as they were ''different'' and affordable. In my main i5 pc i have one and it still works after a few years, Also bought used as a set and i couldn't pass it for the price.
I don't see why Asrock is still on the market. They don't make anything ''different'' now and prices and specs are the same as the lower end Asus boards. They used to be cheaper with a better price/performance ratio than they have now.

DFI and Tyan i really can't comment on. I had 2 nice Lanparty boards from DFI and both had a LOT of bios options wich was nice. They were good and stable but the only 2 i ever had. I just recently got a DFI super socket 7 board but have not used it much up to now. It works.

Tyan. Only board i ever had is the one i have now, it's a dual tualatin board. It works well also but did not spend a lot of time with it.

I've never spend much time with servers and such but i'll take your word for it that there are other brands than Asus that do it better.

I never liked oem's like compaq, hp and dell because of their early not standard psu's and such and too much onboard crap and bios restrictions. But i've sold a lot of Compaq EN series p3's back in the day and they were very reliable, same thing with dell.

One thing we will NOT agree on is 3DFX! 🤣 I love them since the very first card i bought (v1). The impression that card made was simply amazing (for me) and that never happened again to that degree.
Yes, it was blurry, crappy filtering but i still take that over the blocky low resolution games had to offer before 3DFX came along. others were trying but 3DFX nailed it.
Too bad they held on for to long to older technique.

cheers

Reply 15 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I like Asrock.

And I pretty much love old hardware in general. Just yeah. We all have our preferences. Don't we all.
That does not mean that we can not have other type of hardware.
Hardware that we not usually in use, yet have in store in order to benchmark for other's that ask.
Or simply just take a ride through low and highgrade parts of any specific period.

Me. I much like collecting stuff from the years 1995 to 2000.
Not saying that I only collect from that time-period. It is just a bit more appealing to me than 00's stuff.
For me. Most hardware from that era are too mass produced, and will wear out sooner than 486 era parts.

I doo have some board's from the 00's. Asrock again. P4vm88 and K7S41. And a motherload of CPU's for them.
Actually trying to sell them at this point. As stuff gets piled up and I rather spent the money on two good
steaks and a bottle of redwine for me and my girlfriend. I have a MSI-K8-MMV too, that I have sat up for sale.
So, yeah... Not that valueable, too mass produced and no "personality". So I am letting them go.

On the Dell/Compaq/IBM issue... Hmmm... All depends. I like some machines from those brands.
Just not all machines from them. Some are of good quality, others are simply too cheap build.
And hence me like putting things together, i'd rather spend the money on Commodore machines and OEM
parts. Than going out and buying a machine from a brand like those. Accept them if free. Naturally.
(And only if they are pre-P2 machines)

Reply 16 of 46, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All my modern motherboards are from Asrock or Asus. Don't recall ever having any issues, they just work. For second hand gear, I've had very good luck with AOpen boards, they always seem to use quality caps. At work, currently recycling a ton of older machines, the boards are mostly Intel (S775) and MSI (AM2 and AM3) and there is no real pattern, they all work so far, which is great.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't have a whole lot of Aopen boards but what i did have worked perfectly. Never understood that so very few shops had them as the prices were also pretty good on their boards.
Marketing i guess.

Reply 18 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

All my modern motherboards are from Asrock or Asus. Don't recall ever having any issues, they just work. For second hand gear, I've had very good luck with AOpen boards, they always seem to use quality caps. At work, currently recycling a ton of older machines, the boards are mostly Intel (S775) and MSI (AM2 and AM3) and there is no real pattern, they all work so far, which is great.

The only two boards that have died on me so far, is the Aopen Ax6b or something that I had.
The CPU-Fan header died, and little by little the rest of the board died. Did a recap. Never lived again.

The other that died, was an Asrock P4 machine. It blew a couple of caps (don't recall, it was 2007).
It just died horrible too.

Other than that. Most Asrock Socket-A that I have had, had their 3300 caps replaced (did it my self)
For some reason, the Socket-A boards from Asrock, are prone wear the caps out quickly.
It's a small and a little time consuming process. On the other hand, it is fun to do it. 😀

Reply 19 of 46, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Coppermine processors, but depending on revision it could be equipped with an voltage regulator for Tualatins.
I used Voodoo 5 on mine.

Actually the earlier P2B-D(S) boards only support Katmai voltages, and the later ones may have a VRM for Coppermines.
Tualatin support is a mod.

If you do end up with a Katmai board, you at least have the option of using slocket adapters and setting them to 1.8v. Not an ideal situation but it should work.

I regard Asus in that time period as high end consumer class, maybe low end for cheap servers/workstations. Plenty good, anyway.
They're a Taiwan company, not China.