VOGONS

Reply 1640 of 27625, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
8086-ProGamer wrote:
Soldered some new batteries to 3 mainboards with a "CMOS Checksum error" error 6 batteries shipped from Hong Kong to Holland, to […]
Show full quote

Soldered some new batteries to 3 mainboards with a "CMOS Checksum error" error
6 batteries shipped from Hong Kong to Holland, total amount €8

Last weekend i soldered them to the printplates

20150801_144311_zps2v786mxw.jpg

20150801_145317_zps9jq0nwhj.jpg

20150801_150838_zpsblmndaa0.jpg

All errors gone! 😁

Are the newer barrel batteries better at not leaking? I bought a ton of external 3.6v batteries on ebay for dirt cheap, but saw those barrel batteries too.

I'm just wondering if in 10 years that they'll end up leaking too?

EDIT: I guess these are button batteries wrapped together. Guess those don't leak??

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1641 of 27625, by 8086-ProGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At first, sorry for my bad English. Itś not my home language 😀
The 486-er are from 1992? So the batteries are +/- 23 years old. I hope the new ones will survive at least 10 years, but if 1 is leaking again, I will remove it.
As long as the boards are in my hands, no chance of damaging the mainboard because of a leaking battery

Reply 1642 of 27625, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
8086-ProGamer wrote:
Soldered some new batteries to 3 mainboards with a "CMOS Checksum error" error 6 batteries shipped from Hong Kong to Holland, to […]
Show full quote

Soldered some new batteries to 3 mainboards with a "CMOS Checksum error" error
6 batteries shipped from Hong Kong to Holland, total amount €8

Last weekend i soldered them to the printplates

<snip>

All errors gone! 😁

but the motherboard has the 4 pins to an external battery right there.. just stick in a plug and tape the wires to either sides of a cr2032, cheap and simpler. That's what most of us do for 486's.

Reply 1643 of 27625, by 8086-ProGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks a lot better when the original battery is removed and replaced. It should be removed anyway, otherwise the leaking original NI-CD's are damaging the mobo. Soldering a new leads with connectors to a CR2032 takes more time to finish 😉
€8 / 6 = €1,33 battery (shipping included). Cheap enough i.m.o

Reply 1644 of 27625, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
8086-ProGamer wrote:

It looks a lot better when the original battery is removed and replaced. It should be removed anyway, otherwise the leaking original NI-CD's are damaging the mobo. Soldering a new leads with connectors to a CR2032 takes more time to finish 😉
€8 / 6 = €1,33 battery (shipping included). Cheap enough i.m.o

Usually I just use a "PC Speaker" 4-pin plug with red-black wires, snip off the original cell with wire snips, and just cut the speaker off and place the wires on the battery with electrical tape and done. That's me though. No soldering required at all.

Reply 1645 of 27625, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finished my fight stick last night. It's a nod to the original namco psx stick https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimag … c5426241a44d677

It was originally a Mad Catz Soul Calibur V stick that I bought from a pawn shop for a good price. Rewired for standard TE button layout. Painted it gray (rust-oleum vinyl) and replaced the full sanwa with full seimitsu. The joystick is the famous LS-32 found in 90s shmup cabs. The buttons are also seimitsu. It's now a shmup dream. Also good for practicing parry and dragon punches in SF3 3rd Strike. I mostly use it with MAME.

Victoly!!
20287127952_afd2d7cb34_c.jpg

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 1646 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I exposed my 6 year old daughter to Doom, and my 4 year old son to Pinball Fantasies. They were really into the games. I think it's all about the simplicity. What I saw, was them having the same "wow" experience and I saw the same fun as I had back when playing them for the first time.
The whole situation brought me back to the early 90's once again. What a fun thing to do.

I had a blast too, this way. Good times. Good times. 😜 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1647 of 27625, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my server machine into it's new case on the weekend. I think it looks quite handsome.

At the same time I convertd the 1x 160gb hdd to 2x 80gb RAID 1 system with an PCI raid controller and also added an SCSI adapter with a tape drive for backup (when i get some tapes).
I had a lot of trouble at first, but I understand where I went wrong.

The 80gb raid system is a bit of a shot in the foot as it's a bit small and I might need expansion before long. Temporarily i've added a third 80gb disc as a single drive for non-essential but usable space. Also today I added some molex splitters in order to power all the devices. In the future I intend to add my 5.25" floppy drive when my main pc is replaced (one day? who knows when 🤣, it's now 7.5yrs old), and also add a removable caddy drive, but unsure whether to use IDE or SATA. Sata would be helpful, as although I have plenty of IDE discs they're not the biggest, the only ones i have spare now are a handful of 20gb's, a couple of 2gb's and the 160 that came out of the server, but I will keep that as is for the time being just incase.

Anyway, I have just two issues:

1)I wonder what the stability of the power draw will be like with all the molex splits ?? The floppy drives and cd drives will barely be used, and the tape drive only once every now and then.

2)Regardless of the molex connections, it is only a 300w PSU.. I wonder how it will keep up with the system.

The interesting thing about this motherboard, is that it would have had IDE RAID as well as standard headers AND a couple of Sata connections too if it was the up-market version. But alas it is not 😒 😒 Still, it is as it stands other than the few expansion boards exactly how it was when I used it as my main, everyday PC in the mid 2000's.
The case has a square indentations for a sticker. But i'm having difficulty finding any cool plastic stickers and these days most of them are merely crappy flat tokens.. There are custom ones out there, I have one with an eagle on it that I bought at a computer fair in the mid 2000's but finding any at all is proving difficult!

But nevertheless, here's the internals as they currently stand:
serveropen.jpg

And with the server in place:
server.jpg

And you know, I really do feel a big sense of gratification and not to mention ease of hosting pictures or w/e by my own means. I have hated Photobucket and avoided it as much as I could since they implemented their new website some years ago.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1648 of 27625, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blank001 wrote:
I finished my fight stick last night. It's a nod to the original namco psx stick https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimag … […]
Show full quote

I finished my fight stick last night. It's a nod to the original namco psx stick https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimag … c5426241a44d677

It was originally a Mad Catz Soul Calibur V stick that I bought from a pawn shop for a good price. Rewired for standard TE button layout. Painted it gray (rust-oleum vinyl) and replaced the full sanwa with full seimitsu. The joystick is the famous LS-32 found in 90s shmup cabs. The buttons are also seimitsu. It's now a shmup dream. Also good for practicing parry and dragon punches in SF3 3rd Strike. I mostly use it with MAME.

Victoly!!
20287127952_afd2d7cb34_c.jpg

Nice modding. I had a Qanba Q4 RAF once and sold it because the non-clicky switches were a big letdown for me. No tactile/audible feedback = not arcade 🙁

The stick was OK, nothing too great, though. AFAIK it had some issues with diagonals. Don't know what restrictor plate they use on those.

Reply 1649 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blurredman wrote:
Got my server machine into it's new case on the weekend. I think it looks quite handsome. […]
Show full quote

Got my server machine into it's new case on the weekend. I think it looks quite handsome.

At the same time I convertd the 1x 160gb hdd to 2x 80gb RAID 1 system with an PCI raid controller and also added an SCSI adapter with a tape drive for backup (when i get some tapes).
I had a lot of trouble at first, but I understand where I went wrong.

The 80gb raid system is a bit of a shot in the foot as it's a bit small and I might need expansion before long. Temporarily i've added a third 80gb disc as a single drive for non-essential but usable space. Also today I added some molex splitters in order to power all the devices. In the future I intend to add my 5.25" floppy drive when my main pc is replaced (one day? who knows when 🤣, it's now 7.5yrs old), and also add a removable caddy drive, but unsure whether to use IDE or SATA. Sata would be helpful, as although I have plenty of IDE discs they're not the biggest, the only ones i have spare now are a handful of 20gb's, a couple of 2gb's and the 160 that came out of the server, but I will keep that as is for the time being just incase.

Anyway, I have just two issues:

1)I wodner what the stability of the power draw will be like with all the molex splits ?? The floppy drives and cd drives will barely be used, and the tape drive only once every now and then.

2)Regardless of the molex connections, it is only a 300w PSU.. I wonder how it will keep up with the system.

The interesting thing about this motherboard, is that it would have had IDE RAID as well as standard headers AND a couple of Sata connections too if it was the up-market version. But alas it is not 😒 😒 Still, it is as it stands other than the few expansion boards exactly how it was when I used it as my main, everyday PC in the mid 2000's.
The case has a square indentations for a sticker. But i'm having difficulty finding any cool plastic stickers and these days most of them are merely crappy flat tokens.. There are custom ones out there, I have one with an eagle on it that I bought at a computer fair in the mid 2000's but finding any at all is proving difficult!

But nevertheless, here's the internals as they currently stand:
serveropen.jpg

And with the server in place:
server.jpg

And you know, I really do feel a big sense of gratification and not to mention ease of hosting pictures or w/e by my own means. I have hated Photobucket and avoided it as much as I could since they implemented their new website some years ago.

Really love that case. And the machine is not bad eighter.
Nice result.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1651 of 27625, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rubbish. I played Wolf3D when I was three years old, played Doom shortly after and then played Duke Nukem 3D when I was around five (And I do still have a photo of me playing it) - no harm done. Probably did me good... I think the only negative thing that happened was that everyone else in the playground used to quote things like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Crap cartoon I'm sure you've heard of) and Eastenders (Crap soap on TV) whilst I ran around quoting Duke Nukem, I got into trouble for telling my teacher to "Eat s*** and die." at least once.

Once, we had to make cushions (of all things) and sew on a design which was meant to have a name of someone we liked. Most people put things like Mam or Dad on theirs, I made a black one with the 3D Realms logo on it (Shadow Warrior was out by then, so I had two favorite games from them). That didn't go down well either, but then, very little of anything I did went down well at school, probably why I got thrown out when I was nine - but that wasn't because of games, it's just because I finished my work quickly and got bored, so I started disrupting the class, listening to heavy metal on my Walkman or (towards the end) started lighting things on fire.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1652 of 27625, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember his exact age, but I remember my nephew being very young in the mid-90s and sometimes wanting to play DOOM2 or Quake. It was funny though - he was afraid to actually play them, he really just wanted to watch me play.
He'd deny it though. He insisted he wasn't afraid, but I'd offer to give him the controller in Quake, and he'd just freak out. No *way* was he going to play that game, it scared him to death. 😀 He was a little more brave with DOOM2, but I still needed to be there with him.
We had a bit of fun sometimes making DOOM levels for him, which basically consisted of triangles and squares in a giant room.

Reply 1653 of 27625, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember friends of mine being scared of the noises the Liztroops made, the game sometimes did scare me a little but that just made me want to play it more - I thought it was awesome... Probably why I like horror games now.

Found that image;
meonpc.jpg
The keyboard and mouse used to look a lot whiter back then... Yeah, I still have those. Still have a lot of the stuff in that photo, though the monitor died a decade ago and the printer was stolen shortly afterwards. The PC was replaced (Only the tower, the accessories stayed. It was from Makro, made by Atlantic.) with an updated version after the hard drive failed. I think we had an early Pentium because we got that machine around 1993 and replaced it in 1996/7 I seem to think.

Kanecvr if you're reading this, you've got competition with finding that case with the blue button - our first PC came in the same case and I want one too.

Today, I have the case from its replacement (Smaller version of the same case) but its innards are in the loft as they broke and I need to fix them (didn't know how back when they went flaky, I do now. Moving soon so I will sort it then) - Hooker (486SX) now lives in that case.

Reply 1655 of 27625, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:
blank001 wrote:
I finished my fight stick last night. It's a nod to the original namco psx stick https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimag … […]
Show full quote

Victoly!!
[im]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/255/2028712795 … fd2d7cb34_c.jpg[/img]

Nice modding. I had a Qanba Q4 RAF once and sold it because the non-clicky switches were a big letdown for me. No tactile/audible feedback = not arcade 🙁

The stick was OK, nothing too great, though. AFAIK it had some issues with diagonals. Don't know what restrictor plate they use on those.

That's supposed to be a pretty good stick. It's full sanwa which is pretty much standard. For me arcade is seimitsu. I like the original mad catz TE or HRAP line unless I were thinking full custom.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 1656 of 27625, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I exposed my 6 year old daughter to Doom

DOOM at age 6? Good lord, seems kinda young to me.

I wanna say I started playing stuff like Wolf3D when I was 2 or 3 years old. At least, that's what I remember from stuff my dad told me a while back.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 1657 of 27625, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I had a PC when I was 2 or 3... I didn't get a PC until I was 8.
Anyway, I'm sorting out my retro PCs... Playing a bit with my Pentium, now that I replaced its Trident card with a Virge. Now I'm debating whether I should leave it with DOS 6.22+Win 3.11 or put Windows 95 on it and leave the 3.11 duties to a 486.

Reply 1658 of 27625, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't get my own until I was 7 and even then it was a fake 386 system from IBM that couldn't do much of anything useful and only happened due to connections with certain people. I was borrowing my Father's machine back when that photo was taken, he had to own one for his business - at the time, I think he was a diesel engineer and auto electrician. He also transported cars for people like Sanderson Ford, Mercedes and the Jordans dealership.

Quite a lot of my family already had machines though, one Uncle used one he had built himself (I think it was a 286) when he was not in prison, another Uncle I think had one which he needed for work purposes due to being quite high-up at Smith & Nephew, and a few other family members had machines... They were usually second hand and the people buying them had to go without niceties for a long time to get hold of them.

Even when I did get a machine, I was only allowed to use it for an hour a day at most.

As for your Pentium, my general rule is; Socket 4 = WFW/DOS. Socket 5/7 = Windows NT/Windows 95.

Reply 1659 of 27625, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah... I think I'll upgrade it to 95. It already has NT 3.51 so those are a good combo (98 SE can connect to shared drives on my Windows 10 machine after some updates - I doubt 95 can do the same, but NT 3.51 does it even better than 98).