cd roms and cd-r media

Topic actions

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I apologize if this has been covered already. I have been searching the forum and the net for the answers I seek. I have a custom 486 retro gaming rig. The 4x cd-rom reads cd-r media. However, it doesn't always work. For example, I sometimes get an "Abort, Retry, Fail?" error. I can "retry" a few times and then I can read a cd-r.

What other alternatives are there for a 486 retro gaming rig and reading cd-r media? One concern is optical drive speed sensitive games, and the ability to play old cd-rom games correctly. The original rig was designed to be as authentic as possible. However, I am changing some thins such as replacing my hard disks with compact flash adapters just to make things easier for me.

Reply 1 of 5, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always find CD-Rs to work more reliably if burned at the lowest possible speed. With this, even my oldest single speed drive can read them without any failures yet.

There are, however, some drives which simply don't like such discs and will throw a fit regardless of what you try to do.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2 of 5, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would not hurt, to clean the lens too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any IDE optical disc drive ought to work just fine – the only problem is that the fastest ones will make a lot more noise. Speed sensitive games are unlikely to be affected much by a faster disc drive.

Reply 4 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, all! So in order to avoid the noise, I will try CDBeQuiet and other experiments. It is difficult to keep a retro PC authentic as possible. I found very few quad speeds on ebay as of late. As parts fail, I will probably have to just use dosbox.

Reply 5 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like using old CDR drives.
I have a 6x/2x and an 8x/2x CDR drive that work well in a 486 -- not for burning, but they seem to read CDR's better than plain readers of the same speed. Nice and quiet too.