VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this following heatsink installed on an old motherboard. From the side view I can see that the heatsink is not sitting straight on the CPU. The CPU is unknown to me.

I wonder if this is a correct heatsink for this socket but this is how I got the motherboard.

25zgrxh.jpg

z0nbq.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not critical but not nice either, it is safe to remove the heatsink and inspect the cpu for any damage. If the sub straight returns to its normal even shape then everything should be fine. As for the cooler the base is clearly uneven from the picture shown.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 8, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried to power on the motherboard but nothing happened. Tested with two PSUs but it didn't work. It was an Intel Celeron CPU and looks like the CPU itself would be bent. But it looks like there have been a wrong type of a heatsink attached to the CPU. I'm not sure if the CPU is damaged anyway.

Reply 3 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you remove the HSF from the CPU socket and take a pic of the underside of the heatsink?
Also a pic of the top of the CPU would be nice so we can ID it.

Also things you might find suspect, you could upload a pic so we can take a second look 😀

If you tried your board with the one same memory module as in your pic in your first post, perhaps moving the memory module to the leftmost or rightmost memory slot "might" help? It's worth a try and very easy to do.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 8, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my opinion, this looks like a wrong heatsink. Those edges on the left and right sides of the heatsink just doesn't seem to be right for this. There were some bent capacitors because of this heatsink had pushed them. Maybe later I will try to examine this motherboard more.

15zo7wj.jpg

jrcp3s.jpg

Reply 5 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is definitely the wrong heatsink, it isn't for any P4 or any Athlon socket 462 that I have ever seen.

There is an easy fix though, just file those extended bits down to be flat with the thermal pad area.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen that exact heatsink on 3 or 4 Socket 370 Celeron setups before. They work great as Super Socket 7 heatsinks for a k6 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

I have seen that exact heatsink on 3 or 4 Socket 370 Celeron setups before. They work great as Super Socket 7 heatsinks for a k6 😀

🤣, this is exactly what I did a lot 😜
I use the more crappy Socket A HSF's on Pentium 3's and the more crappy Pentium 3 HSF's for Socket 7 (I swap around the fan if the original one is too loud for my taste), works very well

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This heatsink is OK. All heatsinks for Socket 7, Super Socket 7, Socket 370, Socket 462 are backwards compatible. There is no such thing as the "wrong" HSF as long as it is good enough to cool the CPU. The one you have is a generic Socket 370 HSF.

The CPU itself though looks damaged. Does it have any bent pins? It should fit the socket without gaps this large.