VOGONS

Cheap USB-MIDI cable

Topic actions

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How should the cheap USB-MIDI cables work? I bought one, connected to the SC-55 and have absolutely no sound. I suppose one of the LEDs should light up when there are MIDI messages flowing through the wire, but on mine only the power LED is shining. Does it have to be connected to the module to see any activity? I assume OUT on the cable goes to IN in my SC-55?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These cheap cables are implemented violating the MIDI standard, i.e. with direct connections instead of optocouplers, components missing inside etc. See this for an overview: http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-mi … ay-be-required/

I would check inside the interface box to see if there aren't any broken/loose wires, as these seem to be assembled at very low standards.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 5, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks very similar to mine. No optocouplers inside. Won't even try to even get it working any further, just ordered the Roland UM-ONE mk2.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that the cheap ones work ok for General MIDI, but have issues with MT-32, and are also bugged when doing anything with MIDI in. Getting a branded MIDI adapter is a good investment. The Roland UM-One MK2 has been updated with Windows 10 drivers, which is nice.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 5, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine has an optocoupler inside. And the quality of build is greater.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"