VOGONS

First post, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a Promise multi i/o card. Floppy drive works, hard drive doesn't.. I think I stupidly moved some jumpers at some point and mislaid the manual.

If anyone has one and knows how to fix this/has a manual, it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any label / model number on the back?

Reply 2 of 8, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a text based info sheet for the chipset, Promise PDC20630. Check, or post pic of the back of the card, for FCC number or part number, like Matth79 mentioned. The 5249X V1.00 turned up nothing from what i saw.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 3 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a clone of the promise EIDE 2300 VLB

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 8, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's nothing on the back, unfortunately

Reply 5 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, many card manufacturers used this Promise chip. Kentech, CVT-T, Goldstar etc. The specific manual is the way for an easy setup.

However, a close-up high-res photo of the two bottom jumper rows might help give an educated guess. (The available JP4 sets IDE speed, JP5 / JP6 is for COM ports...) From JP8 to JP14 it gets more interesting

Possible mistakes:

- you might have jumpered an incorrect IO CHANNEL READY (still most HDDs should be detected)
- too tight IDE speed (latency)
- disabled the port entirely
- moved the port address from 1F0 to ?

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try moving the two jumpers on JP4 down.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The JP12/13 area looks interesting, but hard to read due to glare - that may be where the address is set for primary/secondary etc.

Reply 8 of 8, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's working again, and I don't know why! Don't think I altered anything else, but I changed the jumpers to put it into 'slow' VL IDE mode and it worked. Then changed it back to fast - and it still worked! Floppy is working too, so the only thing I care about otherwise is the serial port for the mouse.