VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think mine is working. I have a new G486VPC motherboard with a 486 66. I've put the turbo switch on the correct motherboard spot, but pushing in the button doesn't seem to make a difference. I tried running The Great Escape but everything is always fast. The turbo light does come on when I toggle the switch in.

What should be my next step in trying to get it working?

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Run a benchmark that updates the score in real-time, like Norton SI or Top Bench. Then try out the various jumpers.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The LED wouldn't come on if the motherboard didn't register that the switch was pressed.

What about any Turbo enable/disable in the Bios?

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd test it with a jumper, those buttons are not very reliable.

Reply 4 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

The LED wouldn't come on if the motherboard didn't register that the switch was pressed.

What about any Turbo enable/disable in the Bios?

This.

There are boards where the turbo button doesn't make a significant difference (depending on the actual configuration).

Try disabling the caches in BIOS for slowing down the system.

Reply 5 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed that with my AMD 5x86 (which has write back L1 cache), pushing the turbo button had hardly any impact on any benchmark tests.
However, when testing it with a game (like DOOM's timedemo), I could definitely see a difference in speed with the turbo disabled.

However, the above is normally only an issue with CPU's that has L1 write back cache. Your CPU should still have L1 write through cache.

Do your have another CPU to test it with? At least then you will know whether it's a CPU or motherboard problem.

Reply 6 of 9, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good call guys/gals. Mobo option had a setting for Turbo Button set to Suspend. I changed it to turbo and it's working as expected 😀

However, it still seems too fast when slowed down.. definitely too fast for booter and older games still. Maybe I need to swap down from DX to SX? Or actually just get off of DX2 and down to DX..

Reply 7 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DX and SX are identical at the same clock speed, only difference is that the SX is missing the FPU.

Getting a 486 down to 386 speed is one thing, getting it down to XT speeds is another. You need to fiddle with clock speed and disabling caches, maybe even more.

Reply 8 of 9, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah duh.

Well maybe then just a slowdown program would work for those older XT games, and just the turbo is good enough for those sensitive to speed like wing commander perhaps.

Thanks everyone.

Reply 9 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1st 2 computer games I ever bought back in 1994 were Wing Commander and X-wing.

I successfully completed Wing commander with the Turbo off on my 486 dx2-66 machine. I actually made it a mission to complete it as I was
upgrading to a Pentium 133 and knew Pentiums didn't have a Turbo switch.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.