VOGONS

First post, by Ticondrius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking for awhile now for an MPU-401AT. Finally turned to looking a little deeper online than I usually would. I already own an SC-55 and MT-25 to use with it.
I'm also looking for, alternatively, SCB-55, SCB-7/SCD-10, or SCD/M-15.

I own a SB16 CT1740 without the stuck note bug which I intend to use with one of the above devices.

Reply 1 of 8, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello and welcome to VOGONS! Per the forum rules, there is no selling/trading on here so you may have better luck on AmiBay or Vintage Computer Forums. That being said, depending on how powerful your existing hardware is, you might want to look into the software solution crafted by one of our very own - bjt. The Roland Intelligent Mode ISA Interfaces are getting harder to come by, and asking prices have climbed somewhat outrageously.

Info here:
*START HERE* SoftMPU 1.91 - Software Intelligent MPU-401 Emulator
http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2 of 8, by Ticondrius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info!

Is there something like that software solution that does not require EMM386? I'm loathe to load my conventional memory any more than absolutely necessary.

That said, I did find a Charlie Lab Megabeat One a few minutes ago in Europe. Waiting to hear back from the seller. FTR, the CLMO contains an SCB-55.

Last edited by Ticondrius on 2015-09-24, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ticondrius wrote:

Thanks for the info!

No problem! It's a fantastic solution used by many of us on here. Good luck!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are two projects going on that might interest you,

HardMPU and a clone card of the Music Quest MPU card.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you use UMBPCI to provide UMBs, using EMM386 can actually free up more memory than it consumes. MSCDEX has a "/E" switch that reduces its conventional memory footprint if it finds EMS memory and using the "RAM" switch when loading EMM386 provides UMBs without disabling EMS (unlike the NOEMS switch). Even if you do not load anything in upper memory, TSRs like SmartDrive and CuteMouse automatically use UMBs if they detect them, and "DOS 7.1" will automatically move stuff (BUFFERS, STACKS, FILES, parts of its kernel) high. The real issue with EMM386 is that it puts the CPU in protected mode, and not all old games are compatible with it.

Reply 6 of 8, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ticondrius wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Is there something like that software solution that does not require EMM386? I'm loathe to load my conventional memory any more than absolutely necessary.

That said, I did find a Charlie Lab Megabeat One a few minutes ago in Europe. Waiting to hear back from the seller. FTR, the CLMO contains an SCB-55.

The only problem with the Charlie Megabeat is that you don't know what revision you will get. Rev 0 has reversed output. Rev 1 is corrected.

Reply 7 of 8, by Ticondrius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware. I also know how to fix it.