VOGONS

Dead P200 Machine?

Topic actions

First post, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I recently moved and have experienced the horror that is a PC failing to boot after being relocated.

The machine in question is my Dell Optiplex Gn+ with a P200-MMX installed. It powers up and seems to lock on the "Enter System Setup" prompt. No beep codes, no errors, etc.

I'd be inclined to say the motherboard is dead, but it DID throw up an error when I switched the ports the keyboard and mouse were plugged in to (I thought the problem may have been that I had them reversed in the first place). If I do press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<ENTER> to enter system setup, the prompt changes to "Please Wait" and nothing further happens. I do see seek lights on the floppy and CD-ROM drives, but I can't tell what the computer is seeking as I'm getting no hard drive errors.

Am I dealing with something sinister and fatal or is this just a byproduct of the BIOS battery winding down? I opened up the case to check for corrosion or a popped cap and couldn't find any issues (visually) with the motherboard itself, so I'm at a loss.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

Reply 1 of 26, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Test to reseat the memory and the IDE cables, also check that all expansion cards are fully inserted in the expansion slots.

Things like this can happen when you move systems around.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll see about that tonight. I checked all the connections for anything that had worked loose, but I probably should have unplugged and re-seated everything.

Thinking on it now, it wouldn't shock me to learn that the RAM has worked itself loose in that subtle way that only RAM can...

Reply 3 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry to double-tap my own thread, but I did want to ask about the inability to get into "System Setup" on this box. My impression was that an unseated component shouldn't prevent me from getting into the BIOS and that the component in question simply wouldn't show up in system settings rather than actually causing the system to hang even there.

If it's not a loose component, what else might cause this sort of an issue if there's nothing visibly wrong with the motherboard?

Reply 4 of 26, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing that you can try is to clear the CMOS settings (remove the battery and if the board has a Clear CMOS jumper move it to the clear option and wait for 5 to 10 seconds) and then clean the RAM with a pencil eraser and turning on the machine without any drives connected, it should let you to enter the Setup, and if everything goes fine, then reconnect all drives and try again :3 good luck

Reply 5 of 26, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Runicen wrote:

Oh, sorry to double-tap my own thread, but I did want to ask about the inability to get into "System Setup" on this box. My impression was that an unseated component shouldn't prevent me from getting into the BIOS and that the component in question simply wouldn't show up in system settings rather than actually causing the system to hang even there.

If it's not a loose component, what else might cause this sort of an issue if there's nothing visibly wrong with the motherboard?

Stuff that have come loose can cause all sorts of strange behavior but testing another keyboard is probably also a good idea even if the system seemingly responds to keystrokes.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_0014.JPG

For reference, this is the only screen that I'm getting from my Dell Optiplex.

I tried unplugging and re-seating everything, even swapping the RAM to the open slot and nothing changed.

Well, actually, I got ONE sign of life from it when I started it with all drives disconnected. It gave line item errors of "Diskette Drive Not Found," "Hard Drive 0 Not Found," and so on, but still wouldn't load system setup or anything else.

I also can't get it to boot from a diskette. The light turns on, but the drive behaves as if there is no disk present.

I have a sinking suspicion this thing is just dead.

Reply 7 of 26, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have You reseated the cpu?

A photo of the Motherboard would be nice, at least we can then possibly offer suggestions based on anything we might see.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 8 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tried to re-seat the CPU, but that'll be something to attempt tomorrow when I have a few more hours of daylight to reapply thermal compound and the like.

Attached are pictures of the motherboard, both with and without the expansion card board installed. As you can see, no stains, corrosion, marks or even bulging caps on this thing.

Most perplexing is the fact that I'm not even getting a beep code from the thing. I'd try to flash the BIOS if I could get it to even boot from a diskette, but so far I've had no luck with any of it.

Reply 9 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure all the cables (IDE , cdrom, floppy) and inserted correctly and are not damaged. IF the system boots with no cables then that is the problem (incorrectly plugged in, damaged, or master/slave are wrong).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dead battery?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Make sure all the cables (IDE , cdrom, floppy) and inserted correctly and are not damaged. IF the system boots with no cables then that is the problem (incorrectly plugged in, damaged, or master/slave are wrong).

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem (I pine for an easy fix). Everything save for the power supply was unplugged from the motherboard and, aside from registering a "drive not found" error on all three drives, no further progress was made.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Dead battery?

This may be a stupid question, but would that really cause me to be unable to enter the BIOS as well as not being able to boot? I could understand if I had to manually re-set all of my BIOS parameters before booting due to a dead battery, but the idea that it would prevent ANY activity seems a bit steep.

Reply 12 of 26, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I happen to have a couple of spare MMX 200s lying around if you wanna try that route? Next step after that would be to replace the BIOS chip itself I guess.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 13 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

I happen to have a couple of spare MMX 200s lying around if you wanna try that route? Next step after that would be to replace the BIOS chip itself I guess.

Just so I'm clear on it, what all can I remove and still (theoretically) have a system that is able to boot to the BIOS config screen? Is it possible for me to remove the RAM, the expansion card, and CPU and still get at least to the BIOS or do I need at least the CPU installed to even get that far?

At this point, I'll at least attempt to re-seat the CPU and apply arctic silver (which is probably well more than it needs, but whatever) for the heat sink, but if it's feasible to test the BIOS without the CPU, I may as well do that if I'm taking it out anyway and see what (if anything) happens.

If it is the BIOS chip, how does one go about replacing one of those? I don't see any socketed chips on this motherboard and I've never done soldering work on chips like these before.

Reply 14 of 26, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS can only run if the CPU and RAM are present and you can obit see the results if you have a graphics card so this is your basic system. Anything else is considered 'peripheral'. I've never used one of those diagnostic boards that plug into an ISA or PCI slot (some cars do either) so I don't know if they can provide some kind of info without the core elements present.

In terms of replacing the BIOS, you would either need to get one from an identical model or download a good copy of the ROM onto a compatible chip but you'd need a writer for that or know someone who does.

EDIT: if you just want to test the BIOS ROM, you'd need an identical (but good) machine to swap it into.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 15 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much for the info - all around.

In this case, I'm inclined to assume the BIOS chip is hard-soldered to the board and not something socketed I'd be able to easily exchange. It's probably also proprietary as hell.

I'll see about re-seating the CPU this weekend in case it somehow rattled loose during the move. Barring that, I may just have to give up on this box and try to find another P200 system to work with. Even though the mobo looks ok, I have to assume the problem lies with it due to the lack of beep codes on power-up.

Reply 16 of 26, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at this image of your motherboard, I would put money on the BIOS being the small labelled chip just below the RAM slots:
87515-1.jpg
So yes, not socketed.

EDIT: image swapped for zoomed version

Last edited by brassicGamer on 2015-09-25, 21:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you wait a few minutes at the point 'Entering Setup...'? At this point it's trying to talk to the harddisk and in the bad case it can take a while before it gives up.

1+1=10

Reply 18 of 26, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

brassicGamer, do you mean the "Intel" chip? Assuming it would need to be desoldered to be swapped out, right?

h-a-l-9000, I let it sit on the "Please Wait" prompt for ten minutes with no change the other day. When I re-seat the CPU, I may give it longer, but that seems like a pretty fair sign that nothing was forthcoming.

Reply 19 of 26, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He probably means that little square chip with a paper label glued on top. The Intel chips are the chipset.