VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about making the Dosglide-Games run on this system: "Win98se Voodoo3 with Voodoo1"
What exact files do I need and how should the drivers be installed?

Current understandings:

=> glide.ovl => dosglidedriver (only needed if the game runs in plain dos, not needed if the game runs in a fullscreen-window in win9x)
Must the ovl-file be deleted? when running the Game in fullscreen-window in win9x)

=> glide.dll => winglidedriver (not needed for dos, but needed for win9x-glide)

So what files are really needed if I plan to run the Voodoo1-Dosglidetitels under Fullscreen-Mode of Win9x?

Currently I get a blackscreen, if I start "Schleichfahrt" when the glide.ovl is in the directory.
If I delete the glide-ovl-file and copy the diamond-moster 1.10 drivers in the directoy the game freezes.
If I delete the glide-ovl-file and copy the diamond-moster 1.08 drivers in the directoy the game runs, but the textured floor is black (=no textures)

Pretty stupid.

Schleichfahrt does not run under plain Dos, I always see a textmode-corruption (the game does not change the resolution and freezes)
I plan to play the game only in fullscreen-Mode under Win9x.

Is it possible to run "static-linked" Games like Tomb1 under Win9x with that machine (Win98se Voodoo3 with Voodoo1)

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glide2x.ovl - DOS glide driver. It is used ALWAYS, in the plain DOS or in the Win98 command prompt. DOS glide games not use .dlls at all.
DOS glide game searches this file in the game directory, then in %path% directories.
There are exceptions - some games have all glide files already included in the .exe (statically linked). These game not need any drivers, they just need compatible hardware.
So - just install Voodoo3 drivers. And if you want to play DOS glide game with Voodoo1 - copy glide2x.ovl from the Voodoo1 drivers to the game directory.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that MUST be wrong!
Schleichfahrt ONLY starts, when the glide.ovl in the Gamedirectory is deleted.
Win98se drivers for the Voodoo1 are not installed and Schleichfahrt is afaik not static linked.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ticondrius wrote:

Voodoo1 AND a Voodoo 3

Compatibility.
Glide 2.1.1 games.
Statically linked DOS glide games.
Voodoo3 can't run them, Voodoo1 can.

Reply 6 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I did more tests.

- the DLL's are not needed (you are right)
- glide2x.ovl AND fxmemap.vxd are needed both! (they have to be copied in the game-directory)
- not every driver works (m3d108+m3d110 are working)
- the graphics have lots of tearing/stuttering (ocean-floor/ground), the bubbles and theenmy-ship are animated very smooth. it's a bit better if I choose 75hz instead of 60Hz on my TFT.

Can the tearing be eliminated?

Reply 7 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V1 can develop issues on machines that are too fast. ~ 400 MHz or so is the danger zone. V1 is best at home in a Pentium / MMX.

V1 I think has V-sync enabled by default. Usually people disable it to benchmark, so not sure why you get tearing.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, IIRC v-sync control for DOS glide is FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL and SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC environment variables.

Reply 9 of 10, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a long time I thought my V1 was kaput as I only got a block pattern when I tried it. Until I realised that cpu clock speed was the problem.
Fortunately I never had the inclination to chuck it out.

I found it worked fine in my Athlon XP - KT7-raid rig at up to 600mhz. I usually dropped it to 500mhz though which is still massively overkill for
a V1.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Well, IIRC v-sync control for DOS glide is FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL and SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC environment variables.

Yes. Some Voodoo drivers have an option for this and set these for you. But I believe the default is v-sync on and for maximum performance needs to be disabled.

YouTube, Facebook, Website