VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been struggling to make my simple setup work in Win 3.11 for Workgroups.

Let me get my system specs first: 486DX-33 with 8MB RAM, mainboard is a PKM-3363Y (VER. 1.00), Sound Galaxy Orion, Tseng ET4000AX, Commodore 1930 monitor.
It runs DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 for WG.

I keep facing 2 problems:

1) The soundcard works fine in DOS (only tried Wolf3d so far) but as soon as I start Windows, it keeps plinging on and on (the typical Win pling but then looped 🤣) until I reset or exit Windows
2) When I start Win, my screen becomes checkered. When I run it with Win /d:t I have no problems so I'm guessing there is an issue with the Tseng?
I downloaded the ET4000 driver from Vogons and when I pick a resolution, for example 640x480x16 or even 256, upon rebooting, it states something like the driver can't set the requested resolution or something like that anf it returns to DOS. Even the /d:t command refuses to run Windows then.

Am I missing something here? Is there a specific driver for the AX that I don't find on the net? I come from the DOS era but damn I'm rusty.

Thanks for looking 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About the sound issues: check the IRQ and DMA the Windows driver is using, one of them must be wrong. In my experience looping sounds in Windows are tipically the IRQ being set wrong.

Reply 2 of 7, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the stupid question but how do you do that and I need to check if they conflict with what 😅 ? I just took the default config when installing the driver.

Reply 3 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to the Control Panel an then go to "Drivers". The sound card should be listed there and you should be able to mess with its configuration. Just make sure it is using the same configuration your DOS games are using.

Reply 4 of 7, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will look into that tomorrowmorning. As I said, I am kinda rusty but you would expect that it would work both in DOS and Windows since I installed it in Windows? Aren't the settings the same for both OS?
I believe I saw on the installscreen that the IRQ was 10 and after some quick reading on the net IRQ10 should be free. I'll post some screenshots to be sure....
Thx for the help already 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK I tried something different this morning 😀
This morning I removed the 5 1/4 floppydrive and swapped it with a CD-ROM drive so I could install the drivers for the Audician 32 plus that I had bought.

Just to be sure, I did a clean install of DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 and what do you know.....that damn Win 3.11 is refusing to cooperate again :@
I installed the win 3.11 driver and software, a YAMAHA program group is created but that is pretty much it......it won't open the mixer, I get errors when I try to play the windows wav sounds etc....
The card works fine in DOS. Tested it with Wolf3D and Monkey Island 2.
Exactly the same what happened with the Orion 16.........
When the installprogram in DOS asks if there is a Windows on the drive I say yes, it starts writing stuff to Windows I suppose but after a few files it starts saying that xxxx and xxxxx and xxxxx can't be (over)written etc....
I get the same errors when I remove all the stuff from Yamaha in Windows using the uninstall-file.

Can someone please explain me how this is possible? My goal is to use this as a DOS machine and it is working fine there but my OCD-side wants the Windows part also working 100%

Still looking for a Tseng solution also 🙁

Reply 6 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you running the install program from bare DOS without Windows installed? That is how it should be done.
Also, run Scandisk and run a surface check as well. The setup program not being able to overwrite certain files could cause the card to not be configured correctly, I thinl.

Reply 7 of 7, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I installed DOS, then Windows and installed from Windows. This is how the manual says how to do it even though it mentions in a TXT file how to install in a pure DOS environment. I wouldn't be surprised if I do DOS install - DOS driver install - WIN install - WIN driver install, it would be messed up also 😀

There is an updated driver version on the net but my CD ROM doesn't recognise the CD I burned.
If I have enough patience again, I'll format the damn thing again but for now I'm happy that it works the way I want in DOS.
One weird thing I noticed, is that it creates 2 practically identical directories depending from where you install it and then adds a line in autoexec.bat and config.sys that refers to the CD path (D:) I solved this by changing the path to the directory on my C: