VOGONS

First post, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy folks,

I'm trying to make sure I'm getting MIDI in Windows 98 from the Turtle Beach Cancun FX MIDI board attached to my Diamond MX300 Vortex2 sound card. In Windows 98 the only two MIDI choices I have are the AU8830 Wavetable and MPU-401. MPU-401 outputs no sound. From the sound of it, the wavetable option is still using the Diamond's synth, although it sound excellent. In real-mode DOS there's a noticeable difference so it seems I'm using the MIDI daughterboard.

How can I use the daughterboard in Windows?

Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Vortex has it's own tool as well. Either through control panel or the icon in the tray. Here you can configure the DOS output, either wavetable or MPU401 (which is through the joystick port, e.g. a Roland Sound Canvas or Yamaha MU externally connected).

And then Windows also has its own setting. In control panel under sound I believe. Here you can set the devices and there is a tab for MIDI.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 7, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

The Vortex has it's own tool as well. Either through control panel or the icon in the tray. Here you can configure the DOS output, either wavetable or MPU401 (which is through the joystick port, e.g. a Roland Sound Canvas or Yamaha MU externally connected).

And then Windows also has its own setting. In control panel under sound I believe. Here you can set the devices and there is a tab for MIDI.

In Windows under he MIDI tab, I have VOrtex AU8830 MPU-401, which produces no sound, and Vortex AU8830 Wavetable which appears to be the software synth. I have no option to use the daughterboard on the sound card. This is what I'm hoping to accomplish.

Thanks for your quick reply Phil!

Reply 3 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but did you check both settings. The Windows settings, as well as the Vortex2 settings. Both have their options.

Maybe take a screenshot?

What driver did you install?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MPU-401 is the interface for both the daughterboard and the joystick port. They are electrically the same thing. I don't know why it is not working in Windows for you. Use different programs/games to test it, and make sure volume setting is maxed out.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 7, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

MPU-401 is the interface for both the daughterboard and the joystick port. They are electrically the same thing. I don't know why it is not working in Windows for you. Use different programs/games to test it, and make sure volume setting is maxed out.

Well.....It's hard to describe the feeling I have right now. It's equal parts shame, anger, embarrassment, and joy. MPU-401 defaults to MUTE on the volume control. I must remember to always check the obvious first...

Reply 6 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
johnnynismo wrote:

Well.....It's hard to describe the feeling I have right now. It's equal parts shame, anger, embarrassment, and joy. MPU-401 defaults to MUTE on the volume control. I must remember to always check the obvious first...

We've all been there!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.