VOGONS

First post, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is another project of mine, you can have some idea as how the cards are installed inside.

ovo_zpsxu8ngms9.jpg

I have a card in the AGP slot, then an empty space
a card in a pci slot, then an empty space
another pci card
then an empty space that in this mboard corresponds to the shared pci/isa slot
and finally a ISA card and the last empty space.

I did this to have a good airflow, but is there a better way to install your cards? Does it affect performance or it doesn' t matter?
Thank you.

Reply 2 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a bad idea. Sometimes you are forced to put a card in a particular slot. For some reason, PCI network cards work best for me in the very last PCI slot 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is doesnt matter that much.. And this: Sometimes you are forced to put a card in a particular slot. (because of IRQ problems) or needed a bus master slot.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 22, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only where it matters, I perfer to give a (3D) video card as much room as possible even if that means the other cards gets squeezed together. I also dont use any slot brackets at the slots under the video card so it can suck cool air from the outside.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 22, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I usually put the soundcard on the last isa or pci slot, in order to reduce interference from rest of components inside the case,I remember reading an article back in a magazine back in the 90.

Reply 6 of 22, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allways done that since my 486 days.
Unless it's a desktop case, or I need to put too much hardware in a system.
Sometimes hardware does not permit you to do it. (SLI as an example)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 22, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did a quick search about SLI before I installed the Voodoos and it seems it can work, however i did not tested because I don't have the SLI cable.

This is what it reads at http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/faq/#Q32 :

"Yes, Voodoo2 will function in SLI mode in non-contiguous PCI slots as long as the SLI cable is long enough to reach between the two cards. The current cable length is 3.1"."

Reply 8 of 22, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nahkri wrote:

I usually put the soundcard on the last isa or pci slot, in order to reduce interference from rest of components inside the case,I remember reading an article back in a magazine back in the 90.

Yes, I do this too because I read that it must be as far from the cpu as possible, or it would pickup noise.

You know that if you install only one module of ram it should be the one nearest to the cpu, or the slot with the lowest number, and that is supposed to better your performance, does something similar happens to videocards perhaps?

Reply 9 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put my PCI cards all at the bottom with the largest the lowest and the smallest PCI card nearest the video card

Reply 10 of 22, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it true that the AGP slot and the PCI slot next to it share an IRQ? I read that somewhere on Vogons. Either way, I put a V3 PCI next to whatever AGP card is installed.

Reply 11 of 22, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Multiple PCI cards can share an IRQ. I'm guessing the same goes for PCI/AGP. If you use IRQ steering you shouldn't have any conflicts on the PCI bus.

EDIT: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182604

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 12 of 22, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manbearpig wrote:

Multiple PCI cards can share an IRQ. I'm guessing the same goes for PCI/AGP. If you use IRQ steering you shouldn't have any conflicts on the PCI bus.

EDIT: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182604

...but my SB Live! and my BT878 TV card keep hanging if they shared the same IRQ. I don't know if it had driver or hardware problems, I gave the damn thing to a friend and I don't have a reason to re-check it.

Funny, the BT878 has been quoted two times in this thread...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 22, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's several considerations in the expansion slot roulette and they usually preclude any thought to symmetry or air flow. There's the IRQ sharing; you get a handful of interrupts, maybe only 4 between your PCI slots and integrated PCI devices like ATA/RAID, USB, sound, and LAN controllers; and then there's the occasional issue with "slave" PCI slots lacking bus masters, more PCI slots than fully supported by the chipset. Slots can be physically obstructed by BIOS chips, jumpers and stuff, too, so some cards can't fully be inserted in some slots - mostly encounter this kind of trouble with ISA/VLB slots.

It can take a lot of tries to find the right devices to share interrupts. Even if something works at first glance, its functionality can be hindered, such as sound cards producing pops and glitches, or network cards losing connections when a USB device is operated, etc.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 15 of 22, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my retro rigs I tend to put storage & communication controllers on the top and video & sound on the bottom, the latter as separate as possible to minimize EM noise and maximize airflow. I like the 'every-other-slot' approach when conditions allow, just because it gives me more room to manipulate the cards and to stuff excess ribbon cable between them. 😜

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 16 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a good practice to leave room between cards for air flow and it makes servicing the machine easier plus it looks better 😉
In the end though we always run out of slots :s

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
133MHz wrote:

On my retro rigs I tend to put storage & communication controllers on the top and video & sound on the bottom, the latter as separate as possible to minimize EM noise and maximize airflow. I like the 'every-other-slot' approach when conditions allow, just because it gives me more room to manipulate the cards and to stuff excess ribbon cable between them. 😜

^this...totally agree. Of course it's not always possible but it is the model to follow for me in most cases.

Reply 18 of 22, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Space around the video card, definitely, and I try to interleave short / shallow cards with others.

Also, since there are usually fixed mappings of the IRQs, I try to balance the usage, and avoid putting two very busy things on the same IRQ.

The "old style" IRQ assignment allocated up to 4 unused ISA IRQs - on an ISA + PCI system, you may have less than 4 available (disable an unused COM or LPT port to free).

The IRQs map to PCI INTA-INTD, and the assignments of INTA-INTD are normally rotated from slot to slot (as most devices simply select their own INTA line).

Onboard PCI devices also use these, so one or more slots will share with the USB, one will normally share with AGP, and if there is onboard PCI sound, one or more will share with that.

While PCI is supposed to allow seamless IRQ sharing, it doesn't always work that way!