VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, why this setting crash my computer when enabled? is there a reason?
When enabled, the system Works fine, but if I start up the wifi software, the system will crash at any mooment...
when it's disabled, even with the software the system is stable, but it loses alot of performance (-5fps in quake 2)

So, is there some explanation for this setup fail with my wifi? and is there a way to disable this feature only with the wifi board?

The system is a Windows 98 machine.

Reply 1 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you test this with a Live Linux CD/DVD. If the system still crashes in Linux, its probably a buggy BIOS or a hardware incompatibility with your WiFi card. If it doesn't then it might be a bug in the Windows 98 driver.

Reply 3 of 11, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an athlon 1.3 ghz cpu an a Abit KT7 board.

And when cpu2pci write buffer is enabled the system freezes when i start using the bt848/878 video card.
For example virtualdub, dscaler, or any other tv software which uses overlay.

I have to disable cpu2pci write buffer, cpu pci concurency (or something similar called) , and pci master 0 ws.

Then the system runs stable.

Reply 4 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ubuntu didnt worked (boot) neither the xp.
but puppy Linux did, the wifi was detected but it wasn't connecting, so idk if it's the driver itself or another thing.
I wish there was a generic wifi tool for 98 like xp (not requiring an external tool to connect to the wifi)

Reply 5 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say neither Ubuntu nor XP worked, do you mean they did not boot or simply that they did not detect the WiFi card? In any case you could just dual boot to a small distro or XP (I.E actually install it) and then use a wired connection temporarily to get the WiFi drivers.
Also, I'd think twice before blaming the utility itself. This seems to be a lower level issue.

Reply 8 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abit KT7's are notorious for Bulging capacitors. I have replaced all of them on mine.
If they are bulged on Your motherboard then that will almost certainly be the cause of Your problems.
Any bios performance setting would add to instability.

Last edited by Imperious on 2015-10-18, 23:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 9 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The system worked just fine with another wifi pci board, and also with an ethernet board, but not with this pci wifi board, idk if a bad capacitor would not work just with a specific board

Reply 10 of 11, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a possibility that the WiFi chip itself has a hardware bug that causes the crash with PCI write buffer. Honestly, I'd ditch the WiFi card, grab an old DD-WRT or OpenWRT compatible router and make it act like a WiFi client. Then you can just connect the machine to the router thorugh a cable and it will be part of the wireless network.

Reply 11 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ibm5155 wrote:

The system worked just fine with another wifi pci board, and also with an ethernet board, but not with this pci wifi board, idk if a bad capacitor would not work just with a specific board

I would check the capacitors anyway. You might also be lucky and have got a board that had good quality capacitors fitted.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.