VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I have a clean HDD, and I wanted two partitions, one of the size 60gb for Windows 98 and the rest to xp (80gb hdd), and I wanted to know what should I start to install first and what tools should I use to do that.
The xp partition can be in ntfs.
I wanted to use the Xp part more like a backup os (since I tend to broke the 98 part xD).

The system is a K6-III+ 400MHz (stable at 500), 128mb ram, vooodoo 3 3000 agp, isa maxi sound game theater 64 (Windows 2000 drivers worked just fine).
I Already tested xp, it wasn't a bad experience, I just think the drivers were not the best for the gpu and there wasn't alot of ram for the system.

Reply 1 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The standard order is 1 primary partition (C), 1 logical partition (D), Win98 on the C drive then WinXp on the D drive. WinXp installation will create boot.ini and bootsect.dos automatically.
If you use WinME - you can install it AFTER WinXp, the WinME installer supports this mode, boot.ini and bootsect.dos will be created.
IIRC Win98 not supports this and you must create all manually (create bootsect.dos with debug.exe then restore the WinXp boot sector). Or create MSBATCH.INF with the [setup] part and the CleanBoot=0 key, then run Win98 setup with this file "setupcor.exe /x:<full patch>\msbatch.inf".

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 7, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or another way is the use of a Boot Manager like Power Quest Boot Magic, that way you also can install more operating systems.

For example I have a quad boot: MS-Dos 6.2, Windows 95, Windows 98 Se and IBM OS 2 Warp 4 on one machine.

Reply 4 of 7, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option is just to install each OS on it's own drive. Select the drive to boot from in BIOS, or press the key your motherboard uses to access Boot Options at startup [varies; F8, F9, Esc, etc.].

Reply 5 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install Extended Fdisk, found on hirens-bootcd or ultimate boot disk.
You can install a bootmanager with this, and make primaery partitions.
This is a really good sollution for multibooting.

And you can choose what systems to install first. This way.
Whenever you choose a partition with the bootmanager, it will be set as active.
Untill you choose a different partition with the bootmanager.

This makes formatting, using a win98 bootdisk as easy as doing a normal installation.
And it will make installation of systems a bit more versatile, this way.
Give it a try. Can't hurt though... 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 7, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Install Extended Fdisk, found on hirens-bootcd or ultimate boot disk. You can install a bootmanager with this, and make primaery […]
Show full quote

Install Extended Fdisk, found on hirens-bootcd or ultimate boot disk.
You can install a bootmanager with this, and make primaery partitions.
This is a really good sollution for multibooting.

And you can choose what systems to install first. This way.
Whenever you choose a partition with the bootmanager, it will be set as active.
Untill you choose a different partition with the bootmanager.

This makes formatting, using a win98 bootdisk as easy as doing a normal installation.
And it will make installation of systems a bit more versatile, this way.
Give it a try. Can't hurt though... 😀

Hmm I have the hirens bootcd, I'll give it a try (if I remember I tried to format the partitions first on xp cd, but he Always relies to be in the shortest volume xD)

Reply 7 of 7, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the way I used to do was install win98 first and after it winxp which would automatically add a boot menu for you to choose,
at the moment I just have them on different drives, if I want to switch I use the bios settings, because I'm not switching between them all that much.