VOGONS

First post, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently aquired an Asus PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.8 motherboard and when testing it, VLB graphic cards (or perhaps all VLB cards) are not working (tried 3 different VLB graphic cards). The motherboard BIOS looks like it's 0304.

All 3 of the VLB graphic cards used for testing work fine in other systems. PCI and ISA graphic cards and cards in general all seem to work fine. I prefer VLB graphic cards in 486 systems though.

Is there a jumper that I've missed or a setting in the BIOS that I've maybe overlooked? I'm guessing the light brown VLB slot itself is possibly dead because ISA cards placed in the ISA slot right in front of the light brown VLB slot work fine. I figured I'd ask though before I just simply retire the motherboard by storing it for safe keeping.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 1 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At what front side bus is your CPU running?.
If over 33 MHz, then you can try setting the wait state jumper on the motherboard to 1.
Not sure whether this will make any difference but, it's worth a try.

Look closely at the VLB brown slot. Make sure all the contact points are still visible
If it does prove to be faulty, you fortunately have the PCI slots to fall back on.

Reply 2 of 2, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's set to 33mhz FSB, I've tried wait state 0 and wait state 1 no difference. The contacts all look to be there and very shiny. There's no blown capacitors, etc.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.