VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive come to realize that there are no benchmarks/info on the NVS200. The model i have came from a IBM M Pro station. It has agp8x/64mb vram.

nvidia-quadro4-nvs-200.jpg

While it can have noticeable framerate issues in 3d games, it just depends on the game such as Quake 3 or even Jedi Knight/Mots. The 2d quality and older 3d performance is perfect though, the Texel/Pixel alignment issues in games such as FF7 and XWing Alliance will not happen, no dos games ever give me flickering or weird issues on both digital and analog displays. But as of right now i've only tested this with a 800mhz P3EB, soon as i get my hands on a P4 ill see how much the P3 bottlenecks this card in terms of 3d performance. Here is a 3dmark benchmark at 1024x768, then a Quake 2 and Quake 3 timedemo ran at 640x480. (Drivers being used are 30.82)

WGc2rGz.jpg

x9LmEwe.jpg

2tV0oBq.jpg

Now were gonna see how these go with the 4400. 3dmark is 1024x768 and Quake2/3 at 640x480.

pfjJPRP.jpg

jf0f2yp.jpg

okhWgAm.jpg

You would think the 4400 would always get higher, and sometimes with my multiple tests i did, but a 2-10 fps difference isn't anything to worry about. Though you will reach a higher FPS in games with the 4400 and it can run higher resolutions smoother. The 3dmark is higher for this card as well. The issues with this Geforce4 ti card is that you cant adjust Texel Alignment, so that breaks very few games, like those i mentioned above. Also i notice that Dark Forces on a CRT(Dell e772c) runs at 720x400/69.5hz unlike the 70hz that the Quadro4 runs at which causes slight flickering underneath the hud, but i don't notice this issue under any other dos games. (Does anyone actually know why this card is weird about the refresh rate like that? How can i fix this? Perhaps this Dell monitor is a bit crap,)

So it would seem like the CPU is what slows these cards down, as there is no performance gain with the 4400. Ill be sure to update this when i can test with a P4. If you are looking for a good card with good performance and compatibly this card might be up your alley.

Reply 1 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Quadro4 NVS200 is based on the NV17, which can also be found on GeForce4 MX cards. As such, it's only a little faster than a GeForce 2 Ti/Ultra at best, the GF4 Ti 4400 is way faster.

Both Quake 2 and Quake 3 could just be showing a GPU bottleneck, although it could also be a VSync issue in the case of Quake 3.

Reply 2 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3dmark scores are pretty low... My Geforce 4 Ti4200 gets over 11000 on a Athlon XP 2600+ and over 13500 on my Athlon64 rig.

9DW4isil.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a P3 800MHz you don't really have to get anything higher than a DX7 card anyway, and for that Geforce4 MX cards (and your Quadro) are excellent.

Reply 4 of 7, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

3dmark scores are pretty low... My Geforce 4 Ti4200 gets over 11000 on a Athlon XP 2600+ and over 13500 on my Athlon64 rig.

Well, he tested it on a Pentium 3 800Mhz so i believe that score is pretty much in line with what it should be!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 5 of 7, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured it was the CPU holding back the 4400. I would love to test the NVS200 with a faster CPU.

Reply 6 of 7, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanted to do big comparsion of various profi cards i have and also compare them with game variants, but never finished it, because mine MSI dual athlon MP motherboard dont support any 3Dlabs cards. And doing test of profi cards without 3Dlabs is pointless. Somewhere i should have results from Quake1 and 3 with cards like Geforce 256/DDR/2MX400 vs Quadro/DDR/2mxrex/4 980xgl along with some Wildcats and Realizm cards. But cant find em right now (maybe left them on testing hdd). Might take a look after them if someone interested. Tested also cinebench, toms2d and specperfview.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 7 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

For a P3 800MHz you don't really have to get anything higher than a DX7 card anyway, and for that Geforce4 MX cards (and your Quadro) are excellent.

Oh I see. My 1GHz P3 gets about 6700 with said video card, and the same rig with gets about 5800 with a 866mhz p3.