VOGONS

First post, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've just managed to secure an MCB-1 to go with my LAPC-I, now I'm trying to figure out what I do with it. 😊

Presumably I could connect the LAPC-I to another PC (maybe a DOSBOX) and also connect a Sound Canvas (SC55 or 88) and play games though that? I've not bought the Sound Canvas yet but they seem to be readily available. Any advice on how to best connect things up/ configuration. SC model?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply 1 of 4, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on what you WANT to do with it. Using the MIDI-In, you can use your host PC as a substitute MT-32 for a different machine. You can use the MIDI-Out as you would any other MPU-401 compatible output port for other synths.

As far as Sound Canvas model? I think just about any model of SC-55 will serve you very well.

Reply 2 of 4, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the idea I have is to have 2 PC's that cover most games from 1985 through to 2005, The 1st PC based on a 486DX4 with LAPC-I and SB Pro compatible card is mostly built, the 2nd will mostly likely be based on a desktop Pention M. I need to figure out the the sound card for that. I'm hoping that without having to reconnect things each time I could use an SC 55 or equivalant from either PCs and and LAPC1 sound from both PC's. I also need to take care of sound mixing (midi and voice) and I don't have a solution for that either yet.

Thanks

Jeff

Reply 3 of 4, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking at Sound Canvas I believe the main models to look for (for gaming) are the SC55, SC55Mk2, SC155, SC88, SC88 VL and SC 88 Pro.

It looks like the SC55 and SC55Mk2 only have one midi input vs 2 on the others, is that significant with what I want to achieve? I quite like the SC88 VL and functionality and compatness, is that I good choice?

Jeff

Reply 4 of 4, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lvader wrote:

It looks like the SC55 and SC55Mk2 only have one midi input vs 2 on the others, is that significant with what I want to achieve? I quite like the SC88 VL and functionality and compatness, is that I good choice?

Both the SC-55 as well as the SC-55mk2 both have front and rear MIDI inputs. They are usually labeled MIDI In A and MIDI In B.

Concerning the SC-88, if your purpose is to recreate to music soundtracks for gaming as intended but the game developers, I'd still stick with the SC-55 series. It's well-understood that the majority of games scored for General MIDI in the mid to late 90's used the SC-55 as the composers' reference platform. The SC-88's SC-55 mode is fine, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Some of the musicians that are members here could probably elaborate more on the accuracy and idiosyncrasies of the 88's SC-55 mode.