VOGONS

First post, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy folks,

I have amassed quite a few nice systems from 286s to Pentium 4s with ISA slots and need to make some videos to show you all. I need to capture video and audio using both VGA and DVI. My ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Pro pcie is not up to the task in Windows 10 64bit and also only has S-video In which I haven't been able to get working. This may be due to the software I've tried, VLC and Debut Video Capture.

Do y'all have any suggestions on relatively affordable video capture devices and cheap or free software? A few of you make YouTube videos and have a lot of expertise. I figured this was the community of people to ask 😎 .

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 10, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Define "affordable" please 😊

I'm not a professional like you, so I want to spend under $100 USD. I'll honestly only use it a few times.

Thanks

EDIT: To add, if I do get more serious about it, I'll look into using one of the Startech products. They have good hardware for this, but it's all twice as much as I want to put into this at the moment.

Reply 3 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm that doesn't give you many options to be honest.

The cheapest would be using a GeForce FX type card with DVI out and a HDMI capture card. BUT this will rule out older machines.

At that budget I would just film the monitor. If your camera has manual exposure settings you're good to go. Also set your focus manually. If you play around with the light it can look very nice! It also adds something to your videos when you see the whole machine in action 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 10, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Hmm that doesn't give you many options to be honest.

The cheapest would be using a GeForce FX type card with DVI out and a HDMI capture card. BUT this will rule out older machines.

At that budget I would just film the monitor. If your camera has manual exposure settings you're good to go. Also set your focus manually. If you play around with the light it can look very nice! It also adds something to your videos when you see the whole machine in action 😀

In that case, go ahead and give me some options regardless of the budget. I'll just end up using it A LOT more to get my money's worth haha. That's probably not a bad thing.

Reply 5 of 10, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To add, maybe I can get the S-video In to work on my ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Pro if I can get the right software. Do you use the software that came with your capture device or a third-party app?

Reply 6 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe get a VGA-only capture card? Unless you are trying to capture very recent machines everyhing should have a VGA output as an option, so you could try that.

Reply 7 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A cheap HD Camera and a tripod is the cheapest option.
And you need a flat panel for recording, CRT is no option (refresh).

Audio Capture is easy, a cable with 3,5mm stereo jack on both sites, one in the output the other to the linein..
Audacity as recording Software.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
johnnynismo wrote:

In that case, go ahead and give me some options regardless of the budget. I'll just end up using it A LOT more to get my money's worth haha. That's probably not a bad thing.

Startech VGA2HDPRO2 + AverMedia GameBroadcaster HD,

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
johnnynismo wrote:

😊 Great recommendation!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 10, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
johnnynismo wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I got a Christmas bonus at work today that would cover these hehe.