VOGONS

First post, by jmabrra78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

This is my first post in vogons forum. I recently get an IBM 300GL 6282 with these specifications:

- Pentium 200MMX
- 64 MB RAM
- HD 40 GB (Only 32 GB used)
- LG CDRW
- Cirrus Logic integrated graphics 2MB
- S3 Virge DX/GX 4 MB PCI
- Innovision Mighty 3D 6MB (3dfx Voodoo1) (Latest reference driver installed)
- Ovislink LAN Card 10/100 PCI
- Sound Blaster AWE32 PNP ISA Card
- Windows 98 SE Directx 6.1

Voodoo1 is recognized in Windows 98, but glide,opengl or direct3D don't work.
I tested different combinations:
Cirrus Logic + Voodoo1 (not working)
Cirrus Logic + S3 Virge + Voodoo1 (not working) . I can't disable Cirrus Logic in bios, only in Windows
I test different drivers: Diamond Monster first release, diamond monster latest release, innovision Mighty drivers and the latest 3dfx reference drivers
I test with Directx 6.1, directx 7.0 and directx 9c
I would like update bios but I didn't found it.
My Voodoo1 works in other old computer with similar specifications.

Any idea?
Regards!

Reply 3 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there's probably something wrong with the voodoo card... does it display an error message when trying to launch glide or opengl games? Best thing to do in your situation is to test the V1 on another machine - even a 486 with windows will do. Just to make sure it runs.

Reply 4 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try another pci slot.

On a FRESH install of windows install first the oldest diamond drivers, after this install directx7 and install the latest drivers.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmabrra78 wrote:

No, I tested Tomb Raider in pure DOS mode, but it didn't work...

You mentioned the V1 works in another computer, so we can rule out the card. Trying another PCI slot is also what I would do next!

meljor wrote:

On a FRESH install of windows install first the oldest diamond drivers, after this install directx7 and install the latest drivers.

I'm curious about this. Why in that order?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
You mentioned the V1 works in another computer, so we can rule out the card. Trying another PCI slot is also what I would do nex […]
Show full quote
jmabrra78 wrote:

No, I tested Tomb Raider in pure DOS mode, but it didn't work...

You mentioned the V1 works in another computer, so we can rule out the card. Trying another PCI slot is also what I would do next!

meljor wrote:

I'm curious about this. Why in that order?

Well, i had a couple of times where the v1 had problems installing, especially with direct3d. The oldest diamond driver installs a file (don't know the name right now) that is different from the newer drivers. When installing the newer one you are asked if you want to overwrite. When choosing ''yes'' the problems stayed, when choosing ''no'' and not overwrite that file the card worked flawless every time. Don't know why exactly and there must be another way but it worked every time when i had problems. Since it is a directx3 driver i install a later directx version after the oldest driver is installed, and then install a later 3dfx driver.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1