286/386 tech demo?

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
are there any x86 tech demo developed for 286 and 386 cpu generation that actually has/had better graphic/sound that the time correct games? Or the various Wolf3d,Doom but also Stunts, Test Drive 3 etc.. already pushed native Dos time correct hardware already to its limits?
Thank

Reply 1 of 8, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you about "pure" technical demonstrations or demoscene productions? 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 2 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wbc wrote:

Are you about "pure" technical demonstrations or demoscene productions? 😀

Anything to see what a 286 or a 386 could have done with some great coding techniques. 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For 16 MHz 286, VGA and Gravis Ultrasound, PC demo, Legend by Impact Studios.

Reply 4 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Legend demo was quite impressive, considering it could be run on a 286.
Other demos you could also look at are Future Crew's Unreal, Panic & Second Reality (although, the latter was actually meant to be run on a fast 486). These demos will run on a fast 386 PC, but they do slow down if you also run it with a Sound Blaster at 20 KHz. This is where you will benefit from having a Gravis Ultrasound.

Reply 5 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about full-motion video with audio on an 8088? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdG413nNkI

Yeah, not quite the time period you're looking for, but still damn impressive. I don't know of any others off the top of my head specifically for the 286/386, but now you got me curious! I'll have to poke around after work to see what I can find.

Reply 6 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Triton's Crystal Dream will run on a 286, and Crystal Dream 2 will run on a 386.
I recall Majic 12 also doing some nice 386 stuff.
Then there's UltraForce's Vectordemo, which is fine on a 286.
And some of the Cascada productions should also run nicely on a 386 at least.
Oh, and Renaissance is also worth checking out.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 7 of 8, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first commanche games had also a impressive graphics for it's time. Remember seeing it for the first time on a 80386 back in the day. And couldn't believe that it was an actual game and not a demo.

Reply 8 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have captured a few old dos demos in my youtube channel.
However you can also get good quality here ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/ (but no description)
If you look for the actual binaries go to www.pouet.net

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool