VOGONS

Just salvaged a Pentium I PC.What next?!

Topic actions

First post, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I just brought an old PC home from Ikea's recycle corner..

It seems to have a really old motherboard A-trend 1563P and Pentium I 75mhz cpu.
It also got 16mb 72pin ram and WIndows 95 installed on an old Quantum Fireball 1gb HDD.
Graphics card : Diamond S3 /64MB RAM
Sound : None 🙁

That's the good part 🤣

The bad part is that it's got a dead ODIN RTC battery so defaults the BIOS values in every boot and a dead (blown) tantalum capacitor near the power connectors.
The cap is not much of a problem for now (Ii think).
I removed it and PC boots okay without it.
There are 3 other identical caps near the dead one so they should be in parallel..

The other bad news is that for the moment I don't have a serial to PS/2 adapter so I can't use a mouse but I had a DIN to PS/2 so I can use a keyboard no problem..

My questions are:

1.How should I go on about reinstalling the OS and what disks/floppies etc should I need?
I believe win 95 should be the absolute top for such a machine but correct me if I'm mistaken..

2.Is there any way to boot from CD?
I can't find any options within the BIOS.
Also , BIOS doesn't seem to recognize the CD drive but when I log into Win95 I can see it in Control Panel.
Thing is, I get a "D:\ no ready" message when I try to access it.

3.The machine only has PCI and ISA ports.
What would be a reasonable priced Sound card I could plug into it?
I'm into making electronic music in general, MIDI ,tracking and stuff so any better options than a standard sound card would be welcome.

4.Is there any way to have USB on this machine?
Maybe a USB PCI card?

5.I've plugged a Realtek 8193d ethernet card but is asks for drivers.IS there any hope to make it work ?Is it supported by Win 95?

BTW, I think the first things I should do are to somehow hack a new battery into the ODIN RTC thingie (which unfortunately IS socketed) and get a serial mouse or a serial to PS/2

I hope I haven't tired anyone with my questions.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgot to mention that the PC is running Windows 95 Plus.!

Reply 2 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FYI Win95 Plus isn't an edition of Windows 95, but some unessential* eyecandy stuff plus some scheduler stuff that's installable for any Windows 95 version.

* except to me 😀 desktop themes FOREVER

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK,thanks for the info..!

I don't know much about Win95 .I was very young when they got out.
I think my first pc had win95 but it wasn't untill 98se that I got the hang of it all.

Reply 4 of 42, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. You need Windows 95B or 95C.

Back up any rare drivers you find on the system.

You make a Win95 boot disk with CD-ROM support and disk tools. if the CD-ROM-drive works then format the HDD and install Windows95 from a CD, if not make install floppys on another computer... lots of install floppys.

2. There is always a way but its probably not as easy as making a boot floppy with CD support.

3. Sound Blaster 32 PnP with SIMM slots, there are ones on Ebay you can get for ~$15 shipped.

4. If the motherboard is an old Intel 430FX chipset board then you need a PCI USB card. If the motherboard is newer it should have USB headers.

5. No idea.

I have hacked ODIN RTCs, they are exactly like the DALLAS ones so you can use any guide that covers those.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Concerning #4. When looking for a USB pci card try to find one with an NEC chipset. From what I have read on here and experienced first hand they are the most compatible with old motherboards, pci slots, and operating systems. I own a Belkin branded card with an NEC chipset I used on a Pentium pc in the past with no issues.

Also a fun note when you get this system more squared away is that the Pentium 75 overclocks to 100mhz no problem with a simple multiplier change 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 42, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Concerning #4. When looking for a USB pci card try to find one with an NEC chipset. From what I have read on here and experienced first hand they are the most compatible with old motherboards, pci slots, and operating systems. I own a Belkin branded card with an NEC chipset I used on a Pentium pc in the past with no issues.

Also a fun note when you get this system more squared away is that the Pentium 75 overclocks to 100mhz no problem with a simple multiplier change 😀

That is FSB change, 50 to 66 MHz 😜

Running 2x50 would be wasteful!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 7 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😊 Ah crap, sorry that is what I meant. Dont mind me I get easily confused! Interesting to note I read a theory online EDIT: Crap sorry I got confused again, fixed it. That all Pentium 75's are slightly defective Pentium 90's. Or was it 100? Im not sure now and cant find the source I read this from. Dang it.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You didn't mention cache modules. Do you have one? Makes a world of difference to a Pentium. Without one, a P75 is as good as a 486DX4-90, perhaps less.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm,nice one on the Pentium..

Cache modules?

Just tell me what I should check and I will report back.
I've never overclocked anything or it's been ages since so I'm a complete moron there.

But overclocking wouldn't introduce heating issues?
I've just got a stock cpu fan taking voltage (5v? ) from a floppy power adapter!
But in any case if that suffices I wouldn't mind it.

The motherboard features a Socket 5 and I don't think I saw any USB headers.
I'll hunt down that Soundblaster and a NEC PCI USB card.

I really don't know what I could do with this machine right now but I just couldn't leave it to go to waste.

Thanks for all the great tips btw.
Super fast replies:))

Reply 10 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Often times there is a slot for cache see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_on_a_stick and for overclocking do not worry, it is just a matter of changing some jumpers and as long as you have a fan on the heatsink you will not run into any troubles heat wise. I ran my overclocked P75 w/o a fan for a day straight playing Doom. It got toasty warm, but ran ok.

As for uses you can use it to play any number of DOS and windows 9X games, run picky programs that do not run well on modern operating systems and just mess around with in general.

Reply 11 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lagq51g0faj9snm/201 … .35.14.jpg?dl=0

Well here is a picture of the CPU area..
I can't really tell what these chips are but I don't see such a slot anywhere..
Couldn't I tell from any BIOS setting if my CPU is able to reach 100mhz?

Oh and don't mind that CR2032 holder I soldered it before I make any research on the dreaded RTC batteries.
I just thought someone had removed it to use the holder somewhere else...

Reply 12 of 42, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
belzrebuth wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lagq51g0faj9snm/201 … .35.14.jpg?dl=0 […]
Show full quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lagq51g0faj9snm/201 … .35.14.jpg?dl=0

Well here is a picture of the CPU area..
I can't really tell what these chips are but I don't see such a slot anywhere..

Oh and don't mind that CR2032 holder I soldered it before I make any research on the dreaded RTC batteries.
I just thought someone had removed it to use the holder somewhere else...

You seem to have 256KB DIP cache which is common for Socket 5 boards, three filled sockets are visible in your picture but there are probably 9 (8+1) filled sockets.

You do not need to hack your ODIN RTC as you have a holder for a CR2032 battery. Your ODIN RTC chip is the kind without internal battery.

Reply 13 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
belzrebuth wrote:

Most likely not, back in the Socket 5-7 days it was the norm for FSB and multiplier settings to be set by jumpers on the mainboard. If you are lucky then the multiplier settings will be silk screened on the mainboard telling you which jumpers do what. Otherwise you will have to track down a manual for the motherboard.

Reply 14 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see a lot of jumpers but I really have no clue.
A link could help.
I can post pictures if you like.

BTW ,as I said It was me who soldered the CR2032 holder .It wasn't there.
As soon as I saw the battery error it was the first thing that came to mind.
There was a circular space for it so I thought that's just missing.
But no..
I tried fitting a battery and rebooted several times but no luck.
Tried reverting values to default and reboot.
Clear CMOS etc.
Changed setting and still the PC reverts to defaults everytime.
I wonder though why the motherboard has a place for a CR2032 holder if the RTC has a battery..

Reply 15 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can not get it to run stable (or boot) at 1.5 multiplier and 66mhz FSB the other option is to run it at 1.5 and 60mhz fsb 😀

Reply 16 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly I would just focus on fixing the ODIN rtc and getting the system running right before messing with the OC. But for future reference here is a link to a good picture showing what I am talking about with jumpers and multipliers and such (not the same motherboard but gives a rough idea) http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/reviews/m … /p5a/jumper.gif

Reply 17 of 42, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try that when I find a solution about that battery.Thanks for the link.

Yes that battery is a huge PITA .

It has to be the first step otherwise whatever I may set up would just vanish;p

If I had some flux I'd try it now but I don't have any and I don't like desoldering stuff without some flux to ease the process.
I really dislike non-socketed roms etc .
It's stuff that would eventually need to be removed no reason why someone should make it so damn hard.

Anyway when I manage to pull this thing out I need to find a way to crack it open without damaging any pins or components.
That will be hard because I don't have a dremel.

I was thinking carefully cutting the plastic with somethin really sharp.We'll see...

If anyone has any tips feel free to share them..

Reply 18 of 42, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might well find that the CD-ROM works OK just not with CDR discs, many old CD drives don't like them & I suspect yours may well be one of them, try it with a regular original music CD & see how you go. I should think you could then get an original Win-95 for a couple of quid off ebay for your re-install.
Good luck!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 19 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
belzrebuth wrote:

Anyway when I manage to pull this thing out I need to find a way to crack it open without damaging any pins or components.
That will be hard because I don't have a dremel.

An exacto knife or razor blade would work. I will go ahead and leave this thread link here for ya Dallas RTC modding question (recent ebay auction 8433UUD-A VER:2)