VOGONS

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I was taking my 80286 IBM/Sega Teradrive for a spin after adding some new ram simm sticks into it (the cover was off for testing purposes) when I accidentally touched the N80L286/10S CPU and notice it was running scorching hot to the touch only after about a minute of two of gameplay. My question is, is it normal for those old CPU's to run that hot?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply 1 of 4, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even CPUs of today run above 100 degrees easily. Even 40 celsius is above 100 degrees. Which to human skin would hurt a lot. So yeah, that is quite normal, CPUs are hot when they get used. If i were to touch my Pentium 3 after playing 1 minute of Quake it would be hot.

Put simply, yeah its ok.

Reply 2 of 4, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If that's the case then no biggie. Thanks for your reply!. After all these years this is the first time that has happened to me. Follow up question, so I guess these old CPU's weren't engineered/designed (or had in mind) to have heatsinks?

Reply 3 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back then people didn't care if these got hot so long they were stable, personally I would just slap a stick on heatsink and forget.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 4, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah they werent designed for heatsinks. But like he said, just buy a heatsink if you want. You could still put one on. You wont need a fan for a 286.