Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10520 of 53064, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
Got a 2.66Ghz Xeon 3070 for $9.25. :) This processor debuted at over $500 in late 2006, so I consider it a good bargain. It w […]
Show full quote

Got a 2.66Ghz Xeon 3070 for $9.25. 😀 This processor debuted at over $500 in late 2006, so I consider it a good bargain. It works perfectly in my Intel D946GZIS (a non-server board) and is otherwise identical to the Conroe C2D E6700. From what I've read, the Xeon version tends to run cooler and overclock higher. This is for my high-end XP retro machine and matches up well with the GeForce 8800GTX. It's close to the fastest possible period-correct 2007 system, at least from a gaming standpoint. The previous processor in this system was a 1.86Ghz E6300, so it will be a significant improvement (over 40%). Here is the ebay link (the seller has more):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/intel-Xeon-3070-core- … gEAAOSw-ndTmz-L

The only blemish I give it is my CPU has a green sharpie check on it. No one will ever see it, but it is unsightly when handling and viewing. 🙁
edit: it was a highlighter mark, not sharpie, so it cleaned off easily.

Benchmark results coming in the next week or so.

Have you considered the skt 771 into skt 775 mod?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10521 of 53064, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve been hitting up the internets pretty hard lately in my tireless search for a boxed PAS16 – no luck yet, but I did managed to pick up this stuff for cheap (except the 8800GTX, but I regret nothing). It was all NOS and sealed, until it arrived in my hot little hands - I have plans to use most of it.

DSCN2999_zps7i9esgqv.jpg

DSCN3002_zpstfxrkocy.jpg

DSCN3025_zpsdasqpy7n.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10522 of 53064, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice, especially that SB Live X-Gamer. 😀 Does it have the games as well?

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 10523 of 53064, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

I'm not familiar with that. Tell me more. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10524 of 53064, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sutekh94 wrote:

Very nice, especially that SB Live X-Gamer. 😀 Does it have the games as well?

Yes it's all complete - a pretty generous package really. Cost me 10 bucks 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10525 of 53064, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Basically if you flip two pins on a socket 771 CPU it will run in a socket 775 motherboard - assuming it has one of the chipsets that can handle it.
They created this little stick-on adapter thing that handles flipping the pins.
You also need to slightly mod the socket or the CPU - but it's not electrical. It's the locator nubs.
I prefer to mod the CPU as they are usually cheaper, easier to replace and there is no risk to the socket pins.
[The Compatibility Table I am posting below is the most up to date I know of.]
There are a few reasons to do it.
Xeons generally get better silicon. More stable and/or can handle more abuse.
Socket 771 CPUs of comparable performance are often much cheaper than the socket 775 options.
More options all around. There are socket 771 chips that only use 20-30 watts.
[I like L5420/L5430 which are 2.5/2.66GHz Quads that are only 50 watts.]
[Xeon 5138/5148 are dual cores with Core microarchitecture at 35/40 watts and can be had for under $10.]
http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/mod-lga775 … ga771-xeon-cpus

771 in 775 Chipset Compatibility.jpg
Filename
File size
50.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I think this is part of the reason the prices for socket 775 boards aren't coming down as fast as they should be.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10526 of 53064, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:
Basically if you flip two pins on a socket 771 CPU it will run in a socket 775 motherboard - assuming it has one of the chipsets […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Basically if you flip two pins on a socket 771 CPU it will run in a socket 775 motherboard - assuming it has one of the chipsets that can handle it.
You also need to slightly mod the socket or the CPU - but it's not electrical. It's the locator nubs.
I prefer to mod the CPU as they are usually cheaper, easier to replace and there is no risk to the socket pins.
Socket 771 CPUs of comparable performance are often much cheaper than the socket 775 options.
[Xeon 5138/5148 are dual cores with Core microarchitecture at 35/40 watts and can be had for under $10.]

I think this is part of the reason the prices for socket 775 boards aren't coming down as fast as they should be.

Okay, that doesn't look difficult. But for this system, probably not. It's supposed to be a "period correct" high-end XP gaming rig. I cheated a little with the Xeon 3070, since it was less expensive than an E6700 and I confirmed on another site that it would work with the D946GZIS motherboard. But I do appreciate the tip. I may take advantage of that on another system one day!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10527 of 53064, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have been searching for a long time for an Apple-][ machine, at last found it's clone - Franklin ace 1000+. It boots from diskettes, but doesn't respond to keyboard - the "lock" signal is always glowing.

k4ISrHH.jpg?1

EyPRAJh.jpg?1

Reply 10528 of 53064, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Have been searching for a long time for an Apple-][ machine, at last found it's clone - Franklin ace 1000+.

Kudos for this awesome find! I hope you get it working - these older machines are sometimes easier to fix than newer ones because of their relative simplicity electronically. A great project!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10529 of 53064, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a nice haul this week for $20 total:

1. 5ALI61 Super7 motherboard, arguably one of the best choices for a S7 machine:
P1070101.JPG

2. A-Trend ATC6310M Slot 1 motherboard. This one is a weird beast featuring 440ZX chip set capable of 133MHz operation. I hope soldering a JP14 jumper will help me have manual control over FSB. This could result in a kick-ass cheapo Celeron machine at twice the stock clock 😀 Not something you see every day.
P1070102.JPG
P1070103.JPG

3. Lucky Star P-54CE 430VX board. Nothing special, but now I have boards based on all Socket 4,5,7 chip sets: LX, NX, FX, VX, HX, TX. 😎
P1070104.JPG

4. Five fatherboards. No industrial PC boards though 🙁 I'll keep one and sell the rest.
P1070105.JPG

5. Five Zip100 drives including NEC, hp, Panasonic as well as one original iomega. This is the reason I went to see the seller, didn't expect the rest of the haul would be available 😀
P1070126.JPG

6. Graphics:
WD Paradise PVGA1A - at last I've got an 8-bit VGA card!
Rage 128Pro (not much point in having one, but I like to have a choice)
Diamond Speedstar 64 PCI - CL-GD5434
2 mermaid twins - Trident TVGA 9000i-3
A Virge DX - this one went through rough hands and chip leg surgery, seems fine now
CL-GD5420

P1070123.JPG
P1070114.JPG
P1070115.JPG
P1070119.JPG
P1070122.JPG
P1070097.JPG

7.Sound cards:
2 identical ESS 1869 soundcards
A nice and simple Yamaha
Aztech Nova 16 with real OPL. Is it any good?

P1070120.JPG
P1070121.JPG
P1070124.JPG

8. Misc:
A brand new RS232 controller
A slotket, Mendocino-only
A touchscreen controller, probably of no use without it's own special touchscreen.
2 LAN cards

P1070100.JPG
P1070116.JPG
P1070117.JPG
P1070118.JPG

Reply 10530 of 53064, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Have been searching for a long time for an Apple-][ machine, at last found it's clone - Franklin ace 1000+.

Kudos for this awesome find! I hope you get it working - these older machines are sometimes easier to fix than newer ones because of their relative simplicity electronically. A great project!

If you get it working, let me know - we need the BIOS dumped for MAME I think. 😀 It should match one of the Apple BIOS sets, but I'd love to see matching checksums... 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10531 of 53064, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Thank you ! I'll try to fix it on the weekend and will immediately post here the result and the picture of the parts of the machine...

Reply 10532 of 53064, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:
Basically if you flip two pins on a socket 771 CPU it will run in a socket 775 motherboard - assuming it has one of the chipsets […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Before 'refreshing' my home build with Phenom II Quad based architecture, I had a sticker-modded Xeon X5450 mounted on Asus P5B, with BIOS microcode equally modded, to support that kind of CPU and getting rid of annoying messages at boot. That was an easy and cheap solution, but that angry beast was too hot (12mb of cache if I'm right), so I bought a nice Noctua to cool up everything. The socket itself must be cutted in a certain way, to allow mechanical insertion of CPU... After all, a good and durable solution.

Reply 10533 of 53064, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Got a nice haul this week for $20 total:

And I thought it was just going to be motherboards.

latest?cb=20121116203004

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10535 of 53064, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Arrived today awaited parcel from Russia, thanks to other Vogoner Alexey for smooth transaction.
First special edition motherboard from ASUS in great working shape 😎

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    632.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Come to papa
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    635.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Tight antistatic packing for mobo right there !
    File license
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    703.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    'Its like a finger pointing away to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory"
    CUSL2-C Black Pearl in all its glory
    File license
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    613.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Quick test with hardware. More complex tests in progress.

Godlike!
    File license

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 10536 of 53064, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Indrid Cold wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:

Before 'refreshing' my home build with Phenom II Quad based architecture, I had a sticker-modded Xeon X5450 mounted on Asus P5B, with BIOS microcode equally modded, to support that kind of CPU and getting rid of annoying messages at boot. That was an easy and cheap solution, but that angry beast was too hot (12mb of cache if I'm right), so I bought a nice Noctua to cool up everything. The socket itself must be cutted in a certain way, to allow mechanical insertion of CPU... After all, a good and durable solution.

Yes. If you chose a 120 watt CPU it's going to get toasty.
Is not the cache though. L5420/L5430 have the same 4 cores and 12 Mb cache but are only 50 watts. (Less than most C2D.)
A L5420 performs a little better than a Q9400 which is 95 watts. If you are patient the L5420s cost $15 or less.
The L5430 performs between a Q9705 and a Q9550 which are both 95 watts. The L5430 typically costs $20 less.
Less watts => less cooling => less noise.
You can either cut the nubs in the mobo socket or add notches to the CPU. Depends on which you prefer to devalue.

Reply 10537 of 53064, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Xeons run a lot cooler than than the equivalent Core2Quads... Lower than Intel's spec...

I think I read somewhere that an 80w Harpertown will run at around 50W and a 120W will run at around 80W...

So as long as you can manage with the high FSB (1333) of the 120W Xeons, go for it.

Was running an E5430 on a P5B for a while (Wouldn't recommend the P5B for this sort of thing, it does not manage dividers properly with Xeons), but there was no point to it. I'm better off with only two cores and a higher clock, so it now has a dual-core L5240.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 10538 of 53064, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:
A 300A Celery and PhysX :D […]
Show full quote

A 300A Celery and PhysX 😁

photo-490-43480a6c.jpg

Those PhysX cards are amazing but it's a real mess to get them working with Nvidia's older drivers before they dropped support for it completely.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 10539 of 53064, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Godlike wrote:

Arrived today awaited parcel from Russia, thanks to other Vogoner Alexey for smooth transaction.
First special edition motherboard from ASUS in great working shape 😎

Nice!

I didn't know ASUS also made these "special edition" boards 😁

Seeing your reply actually prompted me to go check my own boards and I have this AOpen AX3S-U board (also black PCB) I know very little about, except that it's supposed to support Tualatin.

Btw, found this site http://global.aopen.com/museum.aspx
I think this is actually very handy 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!