VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10540 of 53027, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I traded a 60gb SSD for a HP Pavilion BTX tower that came with 4gb of DDR2 and a Q6600, also got a free basic black ATX case in wonderful condition that came with a 92mm Vantec fan. Oh and a good Vista key which is always handy.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10541 of 53027, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Seeing your reply actually prompted me to go check my own boards and I have this AOpen AX3S-U board (also black PCB) I know very little about, except that it's supposed to support Tualatin

AOpen AX3S also have i815 chipset. I have spare Abit BE6 too. Wish to test those boards together, heard that Aopen board are reliable.

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 10542 of 53027, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Godlike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Seeing your reply actually prompted me to go check my own boards and I have this AOpen AX3S-U board (also black PCB) I know very little about, except that it's supposed to support Tualatin

AOpen AX3S also have i815 chipset. I have spare Abit BE6 too. Wish to test those boards together, heard that Aopen board are reliable.

AX3S and AX3S-U are 2 (somewhat) different motherboards though (both motherboards have a separate page on the AOpen 'museum'-page I posted earlier today, though that page seems to be gone already???), but my AX3S-U indeed seems to have the same CPU support as the AX3S, but are somewhat different.
Here's a pic of AX3S and here the AX3S-U
Main difference seems to be the AX3S has a green PCB, AX3S-U has a black one. Northbridge heatsinks also have a different color.
AX3S-U has 1 more PCI slot (6 instead of 5) and there are many other layout differences.

Btw, the pics show "AX3S Pro" and "AX3S-U Pro", no idea if the "Pro" bit matters, but AOpen seems to have made a LOT of s370 boards!
Here's a list of the models that were on that museum site. I did some formatting and decided to upload it as a text file as the list got a bit long.

Attachments

• Filename
    AOpen s370 list for Vogons.txt
    File size
    828 Bytes
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    Quick AOpen s370 list (may contain errors!!)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10543 of 53027, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
I’ve been hitting up the internets pretty hard lately in my tireless search for a boxed PAS16 – no luck yet, but I did managed t […]
Show full quote

I’ve been hitting up the internets pretty hard lately in my tireless search for a boxed PAS16 – no luck yet, but I did managed to pick up this stuff for cheap (except the 8800GTX, but I regret nothing). It was all NOS and sealed, until it arrived in my hot little hands - I have plans to use most of it.

DSCN2999_zps7i9esgqv.jpg

One of my favourite Nvidia generation on video cards. I still have a Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB that is quite on par with your GTX, paired with a i3 4150 is still a beast!
In every day use it chews through L4D2 and GTA V is more or less playable actually.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 10544 of 53027, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been actually looking for a working 8800GTX for a while now. The 8800GTX was the first top-of-the-line card I ever owned. A boxed one, old stock like this would be even better. Did you get it from a seller or from a store that has a surplus of old stock?

Reply 10546 of 53027, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:

Cost me a bit but I managed to get this Compaq LTE Lite 4/25C laptop + awesome docking station from local auction site.

That's a neat machine! Must be uncomfortable as hell to type on when docked, but who cares! Tell us more about it!

Reply 10547 of 53027, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
Ariakos wrote:

Cost me a bit but I managed to get this Compaq LTE Lite 4/25C laptop + awesome docking station from local auction site.

That's a neat machine! Must be uncomfortable as hell to type on when docked, but who cares! Tell us more about it!

There's not much to tell yet. I just received this and unpacked it. Laptop itself has 12mb RAM, 486SL 25MHz CPU and win95 as OS.

Docking station, though... It's almost a full-fledged desktop in itself. Dock has two ISA slots and it came with ethernet card & some Sound Blaster. It has a floppy drive and it can host another HDD in addition for the laptop's own. Probably I could swap floppy for CD-ROM drive but I'd rather not if I can get the ethernet connection working through win95.

In fact my plan is to use it completely as a desktop variant. I can connect external mouse, keyboard & monitor through the docking station. Maybe l'll hunt down anoher Compaq LTE to use as a possible spare. Nevertheless the actual games I'll put in the dock's hard drive. Thus they will always stay safe with the docking station despite what laptop (or OS) I use.

Reply 10548 of 53027, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whoa, few more pictures of the docking station opened:

20160203_230444_zps7nqsw34d.jpg

20160203_230641_zpsb49iiydq.jpg

20160203_230544_zpskyfydnr3.jpg

20160203_230458_zpsimq55m6u.jpg

Now I'm super excited. Not only did the station already have one of the best Sound Blasters I could imagine (SB Pro 2 - CT1600) I might even possibly be able to squeeze my Roland LAPC-I sound card in there if I wanted. It would actually fit there! Now if only that docking station can provide -5V for that LAPC-I... 🙄

Even if it doesn't work, I can always use SB Pro2, SoftMPU and MT-32.

Reply 10549 of 53027, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

I've been actually looking for a working 8800GTX for a while now. The 8800GTX was the first top-of-the-line card I ever owned. A boxed one, old stock like this would be even better. Did you get it from a seller or from a store that has a surplus of old stock?

Loose cards for a reasonable price seem to pop up regularly enough, but I looked for a cheap boxed one for over a year on-and-off without success. So in the end I just sucked it up and bought this one from the U.S - not cheap when you factor in shipping but I regret nothing 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10550 of 53027, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting that the 8800 GTX isn't that easy to find anymore 😀 What about a 8800 Ultra? Likely even harder to find...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10551 of 53027, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Interesting that the 8800 GTX isn't that easy to find anymore 😀 What about a 8800 Ultra? Likely even harder to find...

Most of them died, very common problem. RIP my Inno3D 8800GTX 2007-2012 😒

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10552 of 53027, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I got mine a couple of years ago on ebay from someone selling a boatload of ones that were pulled from off lease Dells. I'm not sure what Dell PC actually included such a high end graphics card. Paid $39 and it's still working (fingers crossed).

Here's one, for just a little more money:
http://www.amazon.com/0DU356-Dell-Geforce-880 … s/dp/B00HJL2HNG

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10553 of 53027, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ariakos wrote:

In fact my plan is to use it completely as a desktop variant. I can connect external mouse, keyboard & monitor through the docking station. Maybe l'll hunt down anoher Compaq LTE to use as a possible spare. Nevertheless the actual games I'll put in the dock's hard drive. Thus they will always stay safe with the docking station despite what laptop (or OS) I use.

So you were the person who won that. I'm jealous. Really really Jealous. I had an LTE lite as a school computer almost 15 years ago but I could never find the dock. Been looking for another set on and off but what you got was a steal I guess given how nobody this side of the pond wants a reasonable price. 😐
You're missing the top of the dock though. Compaq made it so you could place a small 640x480 VGA monitor on top and use an external keyboard and mouse and when you had to leave you powered down, undocked and took the laptop and everything else with you. They run Windows 3.11 really well.

So I neglected my usual place even after I found that MCA card and low and behold, there WAS more.

IMG_2415.jpg
A Model 95 8595 486XP 😲
Inside it was filled with even more surprises.

-Type 1CPU complex (66mhz DX2....no 256k L2 cache addon 😒 )
-Eight 4mb SIMMS, giving it 32mb ram
-Standard 1.44mb floppy drive
-No hard drive but the inline terminator and drive tray were present
-Cached SPOCK SCSI card (I'll upgrade that to 2mb cache)
-BOCA serial/parallel card (I got one of these already so I'm all set to make a new cable and give it the reference disk)
-XGA card
-4/16 Token Ring card
-An additional NCR SCSI card

It's got a good power supply too. I'm on the fence. I can part it out and get my other machine working or use this to figure out what killed my other PSU.

There was also an Altec Lansing ADA885.

IMG_2414.jpg

I've had one of these sets before in 2011 but it was in black and once it had warmed up it would occasionally give out a fart-like sound. Ended up ditching it but alas, this on has a lot of hiss so I'm assuming whatever capacitors are inside for filtering are not doing their job. It works fine with a Sound Blaster in 4.1 mode but the coaxial Digital input seems to be really fussy in what types of Dolby Digital it will decode.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 10554 of 53027, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

s-l1600.jpg

Pair of Cedar Mill Pentium4 LGA-775 chips $11.30 shipped.

Plan is to take one of em and put it in my GA-EP45-UD3P board and try to overclock the everliving daylights out of it, whatever it will take and work and shoot for "north of 4ghz", feed it as much voltage as it wants and run it on a small custom-water loop and just 'crank it'.

The second one is for when the first one burns out, or if it burns out, or what ever. Not to overclock, and probably run it at stock speed as a backup.

I specifically chose these and this stepping, to get one that's the "refresh" later with revision D0 where Intel gave these chips some of the aspects of the Core2 series, and hoping it will unlock the more advanced overclocking options in my 775 board.

Seems for some reason using prescott chips in it restricts a lot of the overclocking options, they're just not there. But using core2 series, they all appear, so.. we'll try this and hope D0 lets me have everything.

Reply 10555 of 53027, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the idea of using a newer S775 boards with these chips. Does the newer chipset and memory make much of a difference compared to running these chips on a period correct board?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10556 of 53027, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:
There was also an Altec Lansing ADA885. […]
Show full quote

There was also an Altec Lansing ADA885.

IMG_2414.jpg

I've had one of these sets before in 2011 but it was in black and once it had warmed up it would occasionally give out a fart-like sound. Ended up ditching it but alas, this on has a lot of hiss so I'm assuming whatever capacitors are inside for filtering are not doing their job. It works fine with a Sound Blaster in 4.1 mode but the coaxial Digital input seems to be really fussy in what types of Dolby Digital it will decode.

Dang, I picked up a set of these for, I believe, $15 (plus another set of the satellites for $5 IIRC). Unfortunately, they don't power up. There are some hot-spot areas on the PCB in the subwoofer enclosure, but I don't see anything fried. I need to take a crack at rewetting all solder joints to see if that remedies the power issue. Definitely, a lot of yellowing so I'll probably end up painting all the plastics, at least on the subwoofer.

Reply 10557 of 53027, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:

This, is the most purest, undiluted, and raw form of awesome.

A thread should be started on this, and this alone... with regards to detail, leaving no substitute.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10558 of 53027, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I like the idea of using a newer S775 boards with these chips. Does the newer chipset and memory make much of a difference compared to running these chips on a period correct board?

I have a 3.2 prescott in this 775 board right now to play with while I wait for the cedar mill chips to arrive. I'm not sure if it's any faster or slower than the older boards.. I need to hunt down some old benchmarks for when these prescott 775 chips were new here in a little while then try to replicate em and compare.

I can't get this prescott chip to budge a single +1 mhz over stock for some odd reason in this board. It just goes in to an endless boot-loop when I try then comes back stock again. Then again this thing only lets me put max 1.4v v-core on these old prescott chips.. and at stock intel runs this 3.2 chip at 1.36v already, so that might be why.

Reply 10559 of 53027, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have a 3.2 prescott in this 775 board right now to play with while I wait for the cedar mill chips to arrive. I'm not sure if it's any faster or slower than the older boards.. I need to hunt down some old benchmarks for when these prescott 775 chips were new here in a little while then try to replicate em and compare.

I can't get this prescott chip to budge a single +1 mhz over stock for some odd reason in this board. It just goes in to an endless boot-loop when I try then comes back stock again. Then again this thing only lets me put max 1.4v v-core on these old prescott chips.. and at stock intel runs this 3.2 chip at 1.36v already, so that might be why.

Yes Prescotts are very power hungry some LGA 775 boards only conform to 85 watt TDP standards which leaves little headroom for overclocking and 115 watt TDP Prescott like the 670 will run at a reduced multiplier in theses boards. Cedar Mill P4s are 65nm and more energy efficient never had one myself but they are supposed to overclock better than Prescotts you should get 4Ghz easy out of those Cedar Mills