VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired one of these from a friend of mine and I have been putting it through the paces. Here is how it stacks up:

The Good :

Pentium 120MHz MMX with up to 32MB of RAM. Cache control in the BIOS allows for turning off. Can be overclocked to 166MHz.

Video is a Chips and Technologu F65550 with 1MB EDO DRAM, it can do 640x480@24-bit, 800x600@16-bit, 1024x768@8-bit and 1280x1024@4-bit. Video is at least decently speedy and should be reasonably compatible. The internal display has a 640x480 native resolution. 320x200, 640x200 and 640x350 DOS games all look perfect with letterboxing. Text mode stretching can be turned off in the BIOS.

Enhanced port replicator gives a serial, parallel, VGA, PS/2 mouse and keyboard and second PCMCIA, so you can use it as a PC without needing to type on it or look at the screen. The port extender gives only serial, parallel and VGA. With two ports, you can use a floppy, CD-ROM and/or a Network Adapter.

Sound is the Yamaha OPL3-SA3, with native support for Windows Sound System and good Sound Blaster Pro emulation. True Yamaha OPL FM Synthesis.

The keyboard has decent sized keys for the most part and full cursor keys.

Hard drive up to 2GB support.

The Bad:

No indication of external CPU cache.

Accessories like manuals, floppy drive, port extender and replicator, battery charger, replacement batteries, 16MB memory expansion, etc., may be hard to find.

Needs external CD drive to be really useful, which will likely connect via PCMCIA or parallel port.

Screen is only 6.1" on the diagonal, and is a bit dim and 16-bit panel. Mine has 4 stuck subpixels. The text mode fonts look quite different from IBM's.

Keyboard has some tiny keys, keyboard is mushy and the nub is no fun to use.

Hard drives over 1.6GB will not be supported if BIOS past 6.2 is used.

Internal speaker for sound card will distort at medium volumes. Needs a 2.5-3.5 adapter.

Game port must be on a PCMCIA card, very hard to find.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have any pictures with a DOS game running?

It looks fascinating, but a picture says more than 1000 words 🤣

Reply 2 of 9, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love my Libretto 100CT. I have it all decked out with a IDE->CF adapter and a CF card running DOS, WFWG and Win95. I use one of those tiny, portable USB mice since the onscreen mouse is so bad.

Reply 3 of 9, by manimal347

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. I intend to buy one, and I plan to use it for mobile gaming and wireless Internet access. Yes, I'm a bit of a masochist. But, here's the skinny. If your machine has 16MB, you'll most likely stay at 16MB. The memory card is proprietary and you might wait months or more to find one. Probably the best way to get one is to buy a broken Libretto, yank the upgrade RAM board, then put the Libretto back on the Bay for parts. No, not kidding. The hard disk? I know people claim they've used newer, bigger, hard disks. As for a joystick, just no. Most joysticks would be nearly the size and weight of this machine, and a Libretto only makes sense for mobile use or creating the world's tiniest server. Well, at least in my mind. As for Internet, grab an Orinoco Gold. It provides 802.11b networking under Windows 95, and supposedly, DOS too. I say supposedly, because I've heard reports of people who've been unable to get the card's DOS drivers to work. But, they exist. You can get a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive wicked cheap these days. The old ~4x models often have bitchin' styling and will run on standard alkaline cells for true mobility. Oh yeah, and double as chunky portable audio CD players! Crazy, no? But, I don't think a CD reader matters much any more now that flash memory is so cheap. A compactflash to PCMCIA card and a cheap used compactflash card should work. Best to pick up a 2GB or smaller card that's not NAND-type (eg. Sandisk Ultra). Should be more compatible. Oh, and on a parting note, if you need more CPU brawn, I've heard Toshiba underclocked the CPUs, presumably for better battery life and lower heat output. I believe your chip is a 166MMx, which would make sense, because I think Intel never released a sub-166 MMX part. Some intrepid folks have run the chip at its stock Intel-rated speed, reportedly without issue.

Reply 4 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Do you have any pictures with a DOS game running?

It looks fascinating, but a picture says more than 1000 words 🤣

lib_qfg4_s.jpg

lib_hq_s.jpg

lib_u72_s.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a 70CT a few days ago, looking forward for it to arrive. The one on the pictures seems to have an extended battery, the actual notebook is even smaller.

Does anyone know if it actually has any L2 cache - I watched a disassembly video and recall a similar-looking NEC chip, although for all I know it might be an I/O controller.

Is the speaker any good? Is it worth replacing with something better? 😀

I'm going to use a CF card as an HDD btw.

Reply 7 of 9, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a lot of older laptops big and small and have always wanted to set them up as dos gaming rigs but the limiting factor for me has always been the lack of the gameport and the difficulty of getting a proper gameport and midi port operating in dos. Those pcmcia dos compatible gameport adapters are rarer than hens teeth these days.

Your libretto is very nice btw...totally worth trying to recondition and run dos/early windows games on it though imo. Just getting a pcmcia gameport adapter will be a bit difficult if you want to use a joystick and external midi.

Did you try to "unstick" the pixels on your screen by pressing on them slightly with something that won't scratch your screen? There's some quick fix methods I found by googling fixing dead or stuck pixels. I haven't had much luck with some lcds I've had dead pixels on.

Reply 8 of 9, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I'm sorry for reviving an old thread but I recently got the hands on one of these Librettos, it's this exact same model but I have a few problems with it and maybe someone with one could help me out.

I can't seem to find any setting to adjust the brightness of the screen, I installed every driver on the Toshiba website, and can't find a brightness setting anywhere. Is it possible to adjust the brightness?

The sound is really bad, if I play Doom the shooting sounds sound really distorted even at 50% volume. The Windows startup sound sounds distorted to, could it be a driver problem or is the speaker busted? I will try to record some sound to better explain this.

Regarding sound, I just went ahead and installed the OPL3-SAx Drivers for YMF701 available here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/ and I got sound in ms-dos mode to, I guess the driver is compatible, the sound is distorted in dos too 🙁

And one last question 😀 does any of you know if the port replicator for the 100ct works with 70ct?
I can't find the part nr for the 70ct anywhere, PA2718U. There a few PA2719U for the 100ct available on eBay and locally, but I don't know if that model is compatible with the 70ct.

Thanks for any help
b_rros

Reply 9 of 9, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

theres a group on facebook that is for "Adlib tracker II" that you could try to ask in.. the libretto is very popular with that group because of the fm synth chip + portability of the libretto

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP