VOGONS

First post, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My employer scored a Soundblaster 16 with wavetable add-on card. The wavetable card isn't a Diamond. I've turned him on to the fact that many of the computer items he gets in for electronics recycling are worth much more than "weight". To that end, we have saved several Super Socket boards for later testing and Ebay. It's cool that eventually these items will be back in the hands of folks who would enjoy them instead of just being converted back into raw materials.

I'd like to give him a fair price for the board to treat him right, but I can't find a sold listing for this item.
What would be fair for this?

Thanks
Jeff

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

20-30 USD should be fine for the Soundblaster alone. Depends on what kind of Soundblaster, some models bring in alot more than a Vibra. For the wavetable it will really depend what kind it is. If it's a Roland then you can get 100-150 USD easy.

For Super Socket 7 boards, if they are ATX then it's between 30 and 50 USD.

Last edited by vetz on 2016-02-24, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT.

I totally missed "isn't". A random non Diamond wavetable module is probably worth more as the Diamond ones are among the cheapest. Its impossible to set a value without knowing the model as the prices range from $20 to $200.

/EDIT

Im normally paying $10 (or less) including shipping for untested Socket-7 motherboards but if the boards looks pristine $15 to $20 is reasonable.

If you do not buy the items from your friend untested but test them for him and he sells them on Ebay then perhaps Vetz prices are reasonable but I would not pay more than $10 for a tested bare SB16 unless I was sure it had the bug free 4.05 DSP.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 9, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll probably be the one in charge of testing the Super Socket 7 boards since I've been assigned to pull them with the memory and the CPUs on them. For the moment I've got them stacked in a safe place.

The Soundblaster 16 with the wavetable add-on board is what I'm most interested in purchasing from him. He's asked me to simply "treat him fairly" which I want to do.

The wavetable board itself doesn't appear to have any marking which tell me what brand it is, so I'm pretty sure it's not roland or diamond. Did creative make these as well?

Jeff

Reply 4 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldbitcollector wrote:
I'll probably be the one in charge of testing the Super Socket 7 boards since I've been assigned to pull them with the memory an […]
Show full quote

I'll probably be the one in charge of testing the Super Socket 7 boards since I've been assigned to pull them with the memory and the CPUs on them. For the moment I've got them stacked in a safe place.

The Soundblaster 16 with the wavetable add-on board is what I'm most interested in purchasing from him. He's asked me to simply "treat him fairly" which I want to do.

The wavetable board itself doesn't appear to have any marking which tell me what brand it is, so I'm pretty sure it's not roland or diamond. Did creative make these as well?

Jeff

If you buy untested boards I would say ~$10 is fair but if you only buy working motherboards you have tested then perhaps its worth to first wee what you can sell them for and then split the profits with your friend.

I would think a complete tested Super Socket 7 package with a board + memory + CPU will sell for $25 to $55 depending on board and CPU. Always set a starting bid you can live with otherwise you are risking that the board will sell for 99 cents, I have won alot of boards with a minimum bid.

Yes the Creatives Wavetable modules are named Waveblaster, post a picture and we could probably help you identify it.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 5 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

If you buy untested boards I would say ~$10 is fair but if you only buy working motherboards you have tested then perhaps its worth to first wee what you can sell them for and then split the profits with your friend.

I would think a complete Super Socket 7 package with a board + memory + CPU will sell for $25 to $55 depending on board and CPU. Always set a starting bid you can live with otherwise you are risking that the board will sell for 99 cents, I have won alot of boards with a minimum bid.

Yes the Creatives Wavetable modules are named Waveblaster, post a picture and we could probably help you identify it.

When coming with advice like this, be careful with values you are willing to pay. Another person might to be willing to pay alot more. Best option is to look at sold prices on Ebay auctions in the location you're selling them. I should've done this before posting my values (which was based on sold item searches I've done in my past based off my memory). If you're based in the US, the general price for Super Socket 7 ATX boards is between 50 and 100 USD. They are sought after boards, especially in the ATX form factor. I'm actually surprised the prices have gone up so much!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=socket+7 … TX&_sacat=58058

Reply 6 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I would think a complete Super Socket 7 package with a board + memory + CPU will sell for $25 to $55 depending on board and CPU. Always set a starting bid you can live with otherwise you are risking that the board will sell for 99 cents, I have won alot of boards with a minimum bid.

When coming with advice like this, be careful with values you are willing to pay. Another person might to be willing to pay alot more. Best option is to look at sold prices on Ebay auctions in the location you're selling them. If you're based in the US, the general price for Super Socket 7 ATX boards is between 50 and 100 USD. They are sought after boards, especially in the ATX form factor. I'm actually surprised the prices have gone up so much!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=socket+7 … TX&_sacat=58058

I browse Ebay all day long at work so I have a pretty good idea what stuff normally are selling for.

But you are correct that if time is not an issue you can get better prices than if you want the item to sell fast and with auctions you sometimes get better prices than a reasonable buy out price if two crazy people are bidding. 😀

I checked the linked sell prices and the ATX boards seem to sell for more than the last time I was looking for one, Im mostly after AT boards which still seem to sell for the prices I mentioned.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-02-24, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I browse Ebay all day long at work so I have a pretty good idea what stuff normally are selling for.

But you are correct that if time is not an issue you can get better prices than if you want the item to sell fast, and with auctions you sometimes get better prices than a reasonable buy out price if two crazy people are bidding. 😀

nice work you got 😁

Yup, but people love instant gratification and can have little patience. A reasonable buy-out price on an auction can be very tempting. Been there, done that 😜 🤣

Reply 8 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

But you are correct that if time is not an issue you can get better prices than if you want the item to sell fast, and with auctions you sometimes get better prices than a reasonable buy out price if two crazy people are bidding. 😀

nice work you got 😁

Yup, but people love instant gratification and can have little patience. A reasonable buy-out price on an auction can be very tempting. Been there, done that 😜 🤣

Yea its a nice work! 😁

I think the most important thing when selling is to not auction items off without a starting bid, it really sucks spending time and effort shipping stuff worth ~$50 when you only got 99 cents.

If time is not an issue using only a "Buy now" price is probably the way to go.

This is a good example how you dont want your auctions to end. I won this auction last weekend. It's not an ATX Super Socket 7 board (VIA VPX AT with PS/2) but only the Cyrix MII CPU is worth more than the winning bid of $4.85.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zida-Tomato-motherb … cvip=true&rt=nc

Reply 9 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As others have said, with model numbers or photos it will be easier to come up with a value. I paid $15 shipped for a working SB16 Vibra (CT2800) a couple of months ago, if that helps with the SB16 part.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks