VOGONS

HOT 433 super slow most of the time

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EDO is not generally reliable on socket 3 platforms. Even boards which support EDO RAM are best off with FPM RAM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 31, by Exin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyways, with new 10ns 1MB Cache, New RAM (Single 128MB Module, 50ns) everything is fine now with the HOT 433.

-Incompatible memory was partly the fault
-HDD was somewhat the cause as well. Now booting from CF Card. But that means, the Radeon cannot be used. (WTF!)

GL Quake Timedemo still shows 33.something fps with a Voodoo 2. I think that beats everything so far. Except with a Geforce, which I'm trying out right now.

However, I always still wanted to use the Radeon as well, but the system does not boot from CF Card with the Radeon 7000 as graphics card. The system boots fine when a normal HDD is attatched. Even at 40Mhz PCI Speed.

But everything is fine now, so far. 😀

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply 24 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where did you find 50ns 72-pin RAM? I've never seen it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 25 of 31, by Exin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can buy them on ebay. 128MB 50NS EDO Ram Modules. They are offered as 60ns modules, but you should rather look on the individual chips:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/161120549684?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They clearly say -5.

I even bought long time ago modules where the -5 was crossed out and -6 printed next to it.

I really doubt that these modules would fail a straight 20Mhz test. My guess is that people could stay away from them, thinking they are incompatible. (remember SDRAM Back in the days?)

Reply 26 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ouch, those are expensive. Too bad they aren't FPM modules. I would like to try a single 50 ns 128 MB FPM module on my socket 3's, particularly the one with a 66 Mhz FSB.

You should be able to achieve 36 fps with a GF2 and a POD100. I'm interested in your Radeon 7000 results. I was never able to find a Radeon 7000 on a PCI card for a reasonable price.

Does using Voodoo2 SLI increase your GLQuake score?

See if your system can handle a Windows 2000 installation.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 27 of 31, by Exin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I originally bought these to Upgrade Amiga's and Mac's. But since the MAC I was using, had some water raining into the Videoram Area, I cannot use that mac anymore.

Anyways, these 128MB Modules also fully work in '030 based LC III's and in Blizzard Equipped A1200. But then the Burst read does not utilize the EDO functionality because it's way too slow. About 50% of regular reads of a Pentium Overdrive.

However, these Modules also work at a FSB of 66Mhz on my Amiga 1200 with one waitstate. With 0 waitstates up to 40Mhz.

Also, I have 60ns Edo modules rated 60NS that are way faster than that 128MB Module I used. In theory, these work at 60Mhz. I only noticed slight hiccups while breaking 68030 Memory Throughput records.

So it's all relative. You can't trust these markings on the chips. 😁

As mentioned before, I will have to boot the System with the Radeon with a Harddisk again.
I have 3 of them. All the same old ATI ones. They all have the same trouble, however, if you get them to work, they easily could beat a single Voodoo 2.
You usually find them in piles of Motherboard junk sold on ebay. They hide between the other cards. This is how I did it.

I have to find matching Pair Of Voodoo2's to use SLI. I have 3 different ones:

-Creative Labs at 90Mhz (No heatsinks, chips stay cool)
-Gainward at 95Mhz (Green Heatsinks, they get a little warm)
-Unknown at over 100Mhz (Green Heatsinks, so hot, they burn your fingers when you touch them.)

I don't know if it's possible to match 2 different ones?

Also, installing Windows 2000 with 128MB of RAM is something I wouldn't do. I had a P2 based Toshiba notebook with 128MB (Max!) and windows 2000, it was a plain nightmare. It's way slower than Win98, even with enough ram (256MB+). I'm not even talking about getting a HDD to install it. Most CF Cards I tested just didn't work with the board, except for Kingston cards, they somewhat worked.

I'm just glad the board now works with its current config.

Reply 28 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Fastvoodoo drivers allow matched cards to work in SLI. Even allowing you to mix 8 and 12MB cards. It will always downgrade the 2nd card to the lesser card though.
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/index.php

Reply 30 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Exin wrote:

....like in, clocking down the card?

As in if you pair say the Creative and Gainward cards both will run at 90MHz