VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I just recently got a Geforce 4 Ti4600 and I was wondering what the best driver for compatibility/performance is under Windows 98. I have tried a few (44.03, 45.23, 56.64) and all have had issues (DOS games displaying black screen, in game movies not playing in Blood, etc.)

Reply 1 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What motherboard and chipset do You have it running on? The 4x.xx series drivers are generally the best for Win98se.
What Dos games are giving a black screen? I know there are some more obscure titles that have issues with various
cards, but I have a Ti4200 and haven't noticed any major issues at all.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 7, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

What motherboard and chipset do You have it running on? The 4x.xx series drivers are generally the best for Win98se.
What Dos games are giving a black screen? I know there are some more obscure titles that have issues with various
cards, but I have a Ti4200 and haven't noticed any major issues at all.

Blood and Duke 3D. 56.64 works but there are some issues in Blood while playing in windows (corrupted movies). I have a GA-6VTXE with a VIA chipset. Re-installing Windows 98 for unrelated reasons right now and i'm going to try 40.72 as it is WHQL certified.

Reply 3 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both Duke3d and Blood are DOS games. Try running them in Pure Dos mode, not under Windows. You may have to setup a proper configured Dos boot.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 7, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:

Both Duke3d and Blood are DOS games. Try running them in Pure Dos mode, not under Windows. You may have to setup a proper configured Dos boot.

It works fine in DOS mode, but it worked fine in windows before though

Reply 5 of 7, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's taken me all day to remember, but my KT7-raid system gets graphics glitches in Dos X-wing if I run it under Windows and with General midi sound
through my PCI Yamaha sound card, no probs in Dos but General Midi sounds do not work there.

If You have recently changed some hardware, that could be the reason.

Reply 6 of 7, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Issue still happening, the 5X series of drivers provide a flicker randomly. And with the 4X series the cards give my a black screen in DOS and Windows under DVI only.
Edit: Turned out to be a issue with my monitor and the card. Turning scaling to display adapter mode makes everything work fine.

Reply 7 of 7, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use 45.23 with my Ti4400. (Sometimes i go back to 30.82) 45.23 gives me zero issues usually. It works with DOS, works with D3DHal games.