VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a K7T Turbo2 Socket 462 motherboard, which I pulled from a recycle center find (somebody's homebuilt machine).
I powered up the machine before I removed the motherboard and it worked perfectly. All I wanted was the case, so I removed
the insides (except for the PSU). Now it's been five days and the MB has done absolutely nothing except for sit on the table.
I figured I'd sell it, so I went to power it up and take some screenshots. Hooked up the PSU, original video card that came with
it, original Athlon CPU that came with it, monitor, keyboard, mouse. I also loaded it up with as much RAM as I could stuff in it,
just to make sure everything worked for prospective buyers.

I hit the power switch and I got some warning beeps - oops, I forgot to put the heatsink and fan back on. I did that, but now
when I try to power it up the fans run, but nothing happens. No video on the screen, no beeps, no nothing. I've tried a zillion
different video cards, three different PSU's (known to be working). I tried every different stick of RAM I have in the house, in
every slot; nothing works. I've tried running it with no RAM and no video card, to try to get some error/warning beeps, but nothing.
I've tried it with no CPU loaded; nothing.

So what happened? Did I somehow fry the thing by not having the heatsink and fan in when I first powered it up? What's going on?
Should I be trying it with the original PSU that came with it? Does it need to be in the case and grounded to work at all? (I've never
seen that situation before, but you never know...)

I also have another (much older) motherboard that has this same problem. It had the dreaded capacitor plague when I got it,
so I replaced every capacitor on the thing, but still nothing except that the fans run.

Could somebody please help me diagnose this problem?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That cpu is likely deep sixed.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I thought at first, but it doesn't make sense that a CPU that worked perfectly five days ago would suddenly die. I didn't even touch it until today. Plus, I did some research and found out that the motherboard is supposed to give you some warning beeps even if the CPU is missing (I could be totally wrong on that, however). It's far from improbable though that it is the CPU... 😵

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2016-03-13, 04:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 23, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running it with no hs/fan on the cpu even for a few seconds can kill the CPU. I'd bet it is dead.

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 4 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea some Athlon XP chips have no heat protection built in. On newer CPUs they will throttle and then turn the system off, Just test with another CPU?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By golly, you are exactly right- that is precisely what happened. In fact, I thought I smelled smoke for a little bit there but I thought it was just my imagination...

Unfortunately that was my only CPU in that form factor, so I'll have to mooch one off of a friend or buy a cheap one on eBay just to test this MB. Darn.

Is the MB likely shot too or just the CPU?

And now this has got me worried about cooling on my pentium box. Does a pentium/100 need a heat sink? Right now I just have a fan jerry-rigged onto it and it seems to be doing fine, but should I be worried about it overheating?

Now, what about the other MB I mentioned? It's an old AT type Socket 7 board. I've tested it with known working CPUs and still nothing, just the fans run and no beeps (although I don't think it actually has a beeper; I'll have to hook one up). What is likely to be wrong with this one? Thanks for all your help by the way; don't know where I'd be without you guys! 😀

Reply 7 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

That video newer gets old.

Tom's hardware was THE site back in the day. They did things nobody else would look into, often uncovering mayor issues and faults 😀

Reply 8 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Tom's hardware was THE site back in the day. They did things nobody else would look into, often uncovering mayor issues and faults 😀

Gotta love that music. Epic video

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yea some Athlon XP chips have no heat protection built in. On newer CPUs they will throttle and then turn the system off, Just test with another CPU?

Incorrect. Every AMD CPU after the T-Bird era had a thermal diode installed for temperature monitoring which motherboards were to use for detecting thermal trips. The actual problem had two potential sources: motherboards without support included as they predated the thermal diode, or improperly implemented support on new boards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How?

That's what I said, the CPU does not have protection built in to protect itself. It has to rely on the motherboard, which is weak protection. Later AMD chips have built-in protection.

Reply 11 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I don't know what Athlon it was. Not an Athlon XP, that much I know.

What do you guys think about the other motherboard I mentioned in the OP? It's a VIA chipset, old AT form factor, and has exactly the same problem except I've tested it with known working CPUs and the same thing happens (fans run, but no video or beeps). I replaced all of the bad capacitors but still no luck. The jumpers are all set correctly. Is this board dead or am I just doing something wrong? I'd really like to get it working since it's the AT board I have which has an AGP slot; otherwise I'll have to get a PCI video card for the other one which doesn't have AGP.

Reply 12 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see what you're saying. Yes, the P4 solution was more robust. For AMD, higher integration was the answer to motherboard support issues (although they didn't use throttling, just shut down).

The T-Bird era processors truly had no thermal protection, as they had no method of monitoring die temperature directly.

As for the Socket 7 AT board, running fans don't tell you much as far as function. Lots of stuff could be cactus including the chipset, the BIOS chip, CPU, etc. You'll have to isolate the problem as much as possible.

Reply 13 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, at least I know it isn't the CPU: I'm using it in my pentium box right now. And I tried a different BIOS chip; it still didn't work. Maybe it is the chipset and I wasted the $4.00 I spent on it... although I'm still hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong. There is a chip on it that looks kind of like a voltage regulator except the middle pin is cut off, which I do see a lot on MBs, but this one appears to have been either soldered on wrong at the factory or forcibly pushed off its surface-mount solder pads so that the leads are hanging off the edge of the PCB. (warning, stupid question ahead)...Could this be an issue?

Reply 14 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could this be an issue? Yes, physical damage is always suspect.

Reply 15 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't be surprised, you could try to bodge it (messy solder job) and go from there.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 23, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can not say if it's one thing or the other without a picture of the Socket-7 motherboard in question, some boards have really really shoddy soldering but works as they should anyway.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 17 of 23, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Pentium 3 1133 anyone?

Reply 18 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably messed up the socket.

Reply 19 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t