VOGONS

SB16 PCI DOS and WIN 3.1

Topic actions

First post, by macmaster2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having the hardest time with getting this stupid card to work. I have the creative drivers for it installed, and when I run the sbcfg.exe, I get all the ports and irqs in the list.
However, whenever I try to run a game, whether with the SB16 emulation or AdLib emulation, no sound is heard. I have also run the sbtest.exe, which gives no errors, but again, with no sound.

What on earth should I do, or should I just buy an ISA card?

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What system do you have?
It might not necessarily be the card, but the fact that your hardware is too fast for the software/games you're trying to run. The result is then that your game might launch, but is unable to initialise the sound card.
Also, under DOS, have you set your environment variables properly (the "Set Blaster" environment variable for example)?
Some games have a setup menu where, firstly, you have to specify your sound card resources and, secondly, allows you to test your sound output. Have you tried that?
Lastly, under DOS you require a Plug 'n Play configuration manager (like Creative's CTCM & CTCU) for PCI devices (since this PCI based sound card will be Plug 'n Play).

Reply 2 of 7, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI cards are not compatible with ISA cards, and this is not because of PnP, but because of PCI.
They need an emulation driver.

What game are you trying to run? Does the game (or the game's setup program) detect the card?

Reply 3 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:

PCI cards are not compatible with ISA cards, and this is not because of PnP, but because of PCI.
They need an emulation driver.

What game are you trying to run? Does the game (or the game's setup program) detect the card?

Yes, you're right on that. I believe Creative used the Ensoniq "solution" for their PCI based sound cards under DOS.
Just can't quite recall now what you had to load to initialise the emulation under DOS.

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EMM386 and the driver (which came under various names for the different brandings of card).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually liked the AudioPCI a lot. I just discovered I still had mine in my stockpile last night, let me know what you find out.