VOGONS

First post, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've started to show and interest in Roland Sound Canvas ... but there is really too much choice for my little understanding of what i need. I probably will just use it for dos gaming ... right now i've two possible cheap module near me and i dont i've read much about them. I can have a Roland SC-33 and a MT-32. What these two are good for? 😀 Thx for you answer.

Reply 1 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many (external) sound modules are enough?

MT-32 / CM-32 modules are for games that support LA synthesis. This would be the majority of games supporting MIDI before the ~1992 time frame. More modern games usually support the GM standard, but sound modules from Roland, Yamaha, and EMU generally have different sound character to their instruments as well as supporting different extensions.

The SC-33 you're looking at supports General MIDI and the GS extension, but it does not support LA synthesis. It's a good choice for more modern titles supporting MIDI as they were usually composed for the Roland SC-55, and the SC-33 will have the same sound for all GM and GS MIDI. The MT-32 is desirable if it's the 'old' model, but the CM-32L offers more complete support compared to the 'new' MT-32 for games using LA synthesis.

For more on the Roland LA synth modules:
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ultimate-rola … 2-tutorial.html

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-03-15, 13:42. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the MT-32 is a must ... but what about the SC-33? I've read nothing about it ... wiki seem to say is a sc-50ish model.

Reply 3 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the two of them would be perfect IF it is an old mt-32 ... now how to identify an old mt-32? 😁

Reply 4 of 13, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From someone with a lot of experience in this area:

PeterLI wrote:

I use a SC-7 and MT-32: works fine.

I have owned SC-55, SC-55MKII, SC-55ST, CM-32L, CM-32P, CM-500 modules.

I have never owned a CM-64, CM-300, SC-33, SC-50 or SC-88 or any of the many other modules.

Good enough for me, but I'm sure there are other views that don't necessarily concur with the above.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's my first attempt with these sound module. So if i can get the sc-33 and the mt-32 for less than 100$ that would be a good start. 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ExTneicsol wrote:

So the two of them would be perfect IF it is an old mt-32 ... now how to identify an old mt-32? 😁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32#MT-32_models

The old model has two audio jacks (left & right) while the new model adds a headphone jack.

It's worth getting either way if you can get it cheap. It's just that the MT-32 old, CM-32L, and SC-33 (really any device that closely approximates SC-55) will give you full coverage for pretty much every MIDI title, including the ones that take advantage of glitches in the MT-32 old.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got the SC-33 and the MT-32. I've tryed the SC-33 with Tyrian and Doom (used dosbox and a usb to midi octane cable) and this sound just fantasitc (i've got to reset the unit and set it to Multi-mode). After that i've tryed the MT-32 (old unit) with KQ5 and it was sounding very odd, like when you use the wrong rom using the mt-32 emulator. And i've seen that the unit just show the usage of the instrument and the midi light flashing, no game's name. Do anyone of you have an idea? (i will try it on my dos computer when i will receive the cable ... but i could talk 3 weeks sooo)

pnepF0vm.jpg?1

Reply 8 of 13, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually that happens if the sysex messages get lost. Do you see a buffer overflow message on startup? If so, try making sure the cycles are set reasonably low in DosBox. Wikipedia says the game is designed for the old MT32, so I wouldn't expect this issue if the game is running at the correct speed. If it doesn't help, you can always try an SVN build of DosBox using the 'delaysysex' option, but that shouldn't be required for this game.

Have you tried it with other games and have the same problem? It's possible your USB adaptor isn't sending sysex messages at all. Try some MT32-specific midi files; this should isolate the cycles issues that could come up in DosBox. Here is a good set of Ultima music you can test with: http://www.oocities.org/ukcave/ultimamidi.html

I also have a midi file recorded from the Wing Commander startup and intro that I can't figure out exactly where I found it. I re-uploaded it to my web site so you can use it for testing. It should immediately put up an "Origin Sound System!" message when you start playing it.
http://www.zerker.ca/misc/synth/Midi/Wing%20Commander.mid

Reply 9 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tryed your midi file. I can see the midi cable flashing, but nothing on the mt-32 .... and the midi start to play :p

Reply 10 of 13, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like the midi adaptor is blocking the messages somehow. I take it the MT32 activity light is silent during the startup sequence, then it starts blinking when the music itself plays?

If that's the case, I can't really offer any other suggestions other than trying a different USB to MIDI adaptor or just waiting for your gameport midi cable to arrive. For reference, I've got a cheap M-Audio Uno and a Roland UM-One and both work.

Reply 11 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the purpose of testing, witch midi player do you recomand me? We tested it with two computer with midi player, and yes the cable show midi activity at the start and the mt-32 dont. After that the midi start player and both show midi activity.

Reply 12 of 13, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Windows, you can use Winamp and configure the midi playback device directly. Or, if you like the command line, download playsmf from http://www.sreal.com/~div/midi-utilities/, and you can specify the midi output device when you play the file (e.g. playsmf --out 1 "Wing Commander.mid".

In Linux, just use pmidi.

However, if the USB adaptor shows activity and the MT32 doesn't, then it seems pretty clear to me the problem is with the USB adaptor.

Reply 13 of 13, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the same. I've also ordered another USB to Midi cable. It can come handy sometime. Thx a lot.