VOGONS

Best PCI sound cards for Win9x ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. OP asked for cards in Win9x, so this is above the ISA/Pci question, as there is no reason for running Win9x if all games were Dos-only.
When someone is asking about Win9x cards, then I asume that most of the games played are actually Win9x games.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 23, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Hierophant thinks the OPL in the YMF-724 chipset is resampling from 49khz to 44.1khz to 48khz. Luckily the resampling is apparently not terrible, but I can't help but think there will be some impact.

Phil, Dave Flater had some issues with DOS support on both the Vortex and Vortex 2. Can you comment on any difficulties you've had or what specifically you've tried that has worked?

How does the resampling for OPL work on the YMF-744? The YMF-744's clock is 48khz not 49khz.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 22 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

49khz and change is the OPL clock. It has to be consistent to have a consistent response to FM instructions.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 23, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a question wich still needs to be answered: What Creative's card (model) may be called as best for Win98 ?
As I understand the only good EAX 2 cards are Creative's ones, similarly as for good A3D it needs Vortex card. While EAX 3 is mostly for XP era.

What is with Win98 drivers issues and Win9x games compatibility on Audigy 1, for example? Is "Live" family better in this, than Audigy? Has Audigy worse sound compared to Lives? Wich model is best in family for this?
Are there same problems with Win98 drivers on ordinary Audigy 2, compared to Audigy 2 ZS?

Without these answers the them stays pretty useless.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide