VOGONS

First post, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a Tandy Color Computer 2 with a disk drive and I want to transfer some software to it.

I found a DOS program that would allow me to write CoCo disks on a PC. But I'm having a frustrating time getting any 5 1/4" floppy drives working on my current DOS/Windows PC, a Dell Dimension 4100. I have two drives, a 1.2mb Panasonic JU-475-5 and a 360kb Panasonic JA-511-3.

There's an option in the BIOS that selects what floppy drive you have, and there are options for 360kb and 1.2mb drives. So I have to suppose this computer supports them. But no matter what I do, I can't get either of the drives to actually work. The red drive LED never lights up once. When I put a disk in and close the door handle, it spins the disk for 10 seconds, then stops. But I've never gotten anything to load whatsoever.

The drive shows up in Windows 98 as 5 1/4". When I click it the system freezes up for approximately a minute, then throws up a "device is not ready" error.

I've tried connecting the drives to either of the connectors on the cable, messing with the jumpers, all sorts of different Drive Select and Terminator combinations, but to no avail.

I did tons of Googling and couldn't come up with anything, other than a Youtube video of a guy successfully using a drive on his Dell Dimension 4400. I'm not sure how different that model is to the 4100, but I imagine not by much.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 1 of 1, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite often on rig's from the mid 90's onwards, issues started rear their ugly heads with floppy drives. A not to uncommon occurrence was 5 1/4" drives just wouldn't work on many a motherboard. Another more common issue was getting two floppy drives working.

If you know your drives work, and you know you have a good cable, then unplug the 3 1/2 and try only one drive. When I run across a motherboard that gives me floppy drive issues, I pull out a combo drive. That seems to always give my the first drive on the chain (which ever drive I pick), and more often than not it gives me both drives. Combo drives are a bit pricey and not a guarantee, but they are an option if nothing else works.