VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been looking and I can't seem to find much information on this. I'm mostly looking at hardware in the 1997 - 2001 era. Anything prior to that I'll always try to grab as anything that old is generally worth saving regardless of what it is.

I know that some systems came with cards like the Voodoo 3 or Voodoo 4 installed from the factory, but I can't figure out what brands and models.

I like to keep my eyes open for old PCs that might have interesting parts in them, but most of the time I just see old garbage Dells (the plastic ones that open like a book) that have a dime-a-dozen ATI Rage card and at best a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz... along with a P4 and a motherboard chock-full of swollen capacitors. Hardly any collector or practical value.

What systems should I keep my eyes open for?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 3, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I've been looking and I can't seem to find much information on this. I'm mostly looking at hardware in the 1997 - 2001 era. Anyt […]
Show full quote

I've been looking and I can't seem to find much information on this. I'm mostly looking at hardware in the 1997 - 2001 era. Anything prior to that I'll always try to grab as anything that old is generally worth saving regardless of what it is.

I know that some systems came with cards like the Voodoo 3 or Voodoo 4 installed from the factory, but I can't figure out what brands and models.

I like to keep my eyes open for old PCs that might have interesting parts in them, but most of the time I just see old garbage Dells (the plastic ones that open like a book) that have a dime-a-dozen ATI Rage card and at best a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz... along with a P4 and a motherboard chock-full of swollen capacitors. Hardly any collector or practical value.

What systems should I keep my eyes open for?

Some older Compaq systems had Ultrasound PNP compatible sound cards.

Reply 2 of 3, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

Some older Compaq systems had Ultrasound PNP compatible sound cards.

Not really, according to http://www.flaterco.com/kb/audio/ISA/index.html#GUSPnP
Same chipset tho.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]