VOGONS

First post, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys. I bought this little gem a few weeks ago. It's a Toshiba Satellite 445CDX in nearly mint condition. First thing I did was checking internal batteries to see if there is some leaking and I found something not cool: there are two NiMH batteries: one for RTC and the other for bios configuration. I need to replace both of them but I cant find anything here. The packs are 7.2v for bios and 3.6v for RTC. I'm wondering if I could replace them with CR2032 or another lithium batteries doing some modification to the charging circuit. Does anybody knows what can I do in this situation?

Some pics 😀 :

zu2fr7.jpg

xpyjch.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be best to replace the 3.6V rechargable NiMH with another similar rechargable 3.6V NiMH and to build a new 7.2V NiMh pack using what ever kind of NiMH cells you can fit.

You can probably replace the 3.6V with a CR2032 + a diod to prevent charging but there is no guarantee that the CR2032s voltage will be enough and it's probably the 7.2V battery that will be the hard one to replace/rebuild anyhow.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing hard to find both of them. Multiple sellers are on ebay for both of them and the batteries they sell work well. Got a pack of those old Satellites myself and the replacements from Ebay are perfect working for years now. 🤣

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Toshiba-Tecra-510CDT-P … mIAAOxy3NBSmcmW

From that seller I got most of my Toshiba xxxCDS/CDT/CT/CDX replacement batteries. All work well.

Reply 4 of 4, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys! I'm sorry, I've been so busy the past months. I'm getting back to retro hardware!
I tried this laptop with CR2032 batteries and a germanium diode to prevent charging. This is working really fine. Ebay isn't an option in my country at least for now. We'll see if out situation changes in the next months.

I will upload pictures when I finish this restoring.