VOGONS

First post, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>>>>>>Re: SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold SPDIF Clarification?
SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold SPDIF Clarification?

ReeseRiverson wrote:

Creative WaveSynth/WG wouldn't install on my machine because it wants a 90MHz Pentium minimum. Is there a work around then?

stuvize wrote:

My install disc does this too 90mhz for win 3.1 and 133mhz for win 9x, download the sound blaster drivers collection archive from Vogons driver library it has a AWE64 install disc folder in it that one lets you install Wave synth WG regardless of CPU. Also some people were mentioning the SPDIF in DOS I noticed Duke3D outputs the synth in DOS

I posted the below in the forum above, and thought I'd also try making a new post here. 😀

I've also run into this problem installing WaveSynth on slower PCs (AMD 133mhz overdrive, 486DX4-100mhz, etc.). I was excited to discover that a workaround actually exists. I've tried to follow the advice above, and downloaded 2 cd images from Vogons's Driver Library: the AWE64 Gold Factory install, and TheMAN's AWE compilation.

However, neither of them seem to solve the problem when I go to install WaveSynth, they both still say "P90 and 8MB RAM needed". Would someone tell me if I'm missing something regarding the above?

I've also found this page on how to 'fix' the problem in the installer itself, which I find intriguing, but just a bit complicated. After all his research, I wish he had provided the 'fixed' file he created for others to enjoy.....
https://mh-nexus.de/en/awe64all.php

Any assistance would be appreciated - Cheers everyone! 😎 Bellarmine

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.

Reply 1 of 7, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to assume you can still install the drivers to use the AWE64 WITHOUT WaveSynth, right? E.g. just use the onboard hardware Synth. WaveSynth isn't really that great, in my opinion.

Reply 2 of 7, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply zerker.

Yes, that's right, I can still install all the other software. I'd just like to get the whole ball of wax, having used it on a PII. I agree about Software Wavetable leaving something to be desired in general, but the WaveSynth/WaveGuide also provides a unique feature - Reverberation effects for Wave Audio! On the creative mixer are two new sliders for Reverb (for SW Synth and Wave), makes all the Windows Notifications sound slick and spacious..... 😀

I wouldn't ask except that according to the two quotes above it has been made possible, and the web link I gave shows a way to do it, using a half dozen pieces of software. What I'm asking is, which specific driver CD are the two quotes talking about, I thought I got the right one.

Thanks again Zerker! Bellarmine

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.

Reply 3 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even if you are able to install Wavesynth on a PC slower than a Pentium 90 MHz, you will then most likely see sub par performance.

Wavesynth/Waveguide is a software based solution that requires a fast CPU. A 486 doesn't have the necessary processing power to achieve adequate results. Based on the technology being used, I also get the impression that it requires the FPU of a Pentium based CPU.

You could, however, first install Waveguide under a Pentium 90 MHz or faster CPU and then "transfer" the HDD drive to a slower PC (or just swop out the motherboard). Not really an ideal solution.

Reply 4 of 7, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree Jesolo, it might not work perfect, but I would just lit to try out the Wave reverb feature. That might work all right. I wouldn't ask except according to the quotes at the top, it IS possible! Hope Stuvize sees this sometime, and maybe he can elaborate.

Thanks for the help so far! Bellarmine

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wave reverb doesn't require WaveSynth. AWE64 can force reverb over everything if you tinker with that TSR (in pure DOS) or some sliders in AWE Control Panel (in Windows)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Wave reverb doesn't require WaveSynth. AWE64 can force reverb over everything if you tinker with that TSR (in pure DOS) or some sliders in AWE Control Panel (in Windows)

Agreed. If you purely want reverb and chorus effects, then that is how you do it.
I actually used these to achieve a more pleasurable listening experience when playing back FM (CQM) synthesis under DOS.

Wavesynth/Waveguide is a software based solution that effectively tries to recreate the different MIDI instruments (samples) via physical modeling techniques (as opposed to having the actual samples stored in ROM or loaded in RAM).
Hence, why you require a Pentium 90 MHz or faster CPU.

I must admit that, with the limited time I played around with it, some of those instruments didn't sound too bad.

Reply 7 of 7, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Wave reverb doesn't require WaveSynth.

Just to clarify, the CODEC "wave" output doesn't get routed through the EMU8000, precluding any application of EMU8000 effects. In Windows, however, if WaveSynth/WG is installed, and the Creative drivers are set to half-duplex, the CODEC output gets routed through the WaveSynth/WG engine, from which its reverb can be applied.