VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the title might lead you to think this topic is about windows detecting new hardware but it isn't 🤣
I have found this motherboard in my dad old stuff with a processor, it's nothing fancy,btw its a pretty crappy i guess.
Its one old PCCHIPS M598LMR, its a socket 7 motherboard with SiS530 Chipset/SiS5595, SiS900 LAN chip, iTE IT8661F Super I/O,etc...
When i found it was covered in dust bunnies and some headers had a little green oxidation but i managed to clear it all and now its looking brand new.
And within the board i found a AMD K6-2 450 AFX.
I did not tested the board yet because i dont have one PC 100 SDRAM module in hand but i have some questions.
My plan is to load Windows 95 and do
This motherboard and cpu can be used on a 4 in 1 pc build?(386,486,Pentium,Full Speed)? i don't mind if the board and processor doesn't allow me to change on the fly , but at least allow me to change on setup the CPU and Motherboard Cache and multiplier.
If the answer of the question above is yes then can i use SB AWE64 ? and which PCI VGA Adapter i should use?

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ha, nice find! The title is a funny pun, indeed. ^^
Looks like a cute little board! Should fit in a vintage case,too.
And you're lucky that it had a K6-2 aswell. They're faster than a normal Pentium.
On this system internal/external caches can be enabled and disabled.

Yes, you can use an AWE64. A S3 Virge or S3 Trio works well with Win95 (DirectX 3 comes with S3 drivers).

But to make sure, does it look like this ? There are manual and drivers available.
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboard … 0Chips/M598LMR/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Ha, nice find! The title is a funny pun, indeed. ^^ Looks like a cute little board! Should fit in a vintage case,too. And you're […]
Show full quote

Ha, nice find! The title is a funny pun, indeed. ^^
Looks like a cute little board! Should fit in a vintage case,too.
And you're lucky that it had a K6-2 aswell. They're faster than a normal Pentium.
On this system internal/external caches can be enabled and disabled.

Yes, you can use an AWE64. A S3 Virge or S3 Trio works well with Win95 (DirectX 3 comes with S3 drivers).

But to make sure, does it look like this ? There are manual and drivers available.
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboard … 0Chips/M598LMR/

Thank you for replying, sorry i forgot to attach the pics of the board and processor, so i 'll be adding the pics now.
And yes, its the same board, i even downloaded the manual, it seems to be a Super Socket 7 board because it supports 100mhz fsb right?
I read the manual it seems to have a pretty nice built-in functions , but for a trouble free build i guess i will use only the serial port for serial mouse(logitech 3 buttons) if i manage to get the bracket that have the port and cable that connects to the motherboard COM header.
I will run MS-DOS 6.22 on a CF to IDE adapter and the good GOTEK Floppy Emulator.
Probably i will do a video about this build.
xb8MqKS.jpg
3oN5sL2.jpg

Reply 4 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed a af different layout.
Room for one S3, one Voodoo of some sort and an AWE32/64. Will be a nice little machine.

If you go for AT style case, then use an ATX PSU and an ATX to AT converter in order to be able to use the Power button in the case. Just remember to use a PSU with the fan in the back of the PSU. As it will be mounted upside down.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 7, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha! So I'm clearly not the only one who sees that magnifier over some abstract hardware (Accompanied by the sound of a rattling hard drive) in their head when acquiring new stuff.

That purple DIN socket, haha.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 7, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is one of the worst motherboards i know. Subpar performance and compatibility problems. They were wery common in supermarket computers around 2000 here in Argentina.

Pa: You need a patch to use any k6-2 above 350Mhz in Windows 95

Reply 7 of 7, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Indeed a af different layout.
Room for one S3, one Voodoo of some sort and an AWE32/64. Will be a nice little machine.

If you go for AT style case, then use an ATX PSU and an ATX to AT converter in order to be able to use the Power button in the case. Just remember to use a PSU with the fan in the back of the PSU. As it will be mounted upside down.

I was thinking exactly the same thing since i didn't have found any solid I/O Shield or with the DIM keyboard cutout.
Here in my country i still not finding any ATX to AT adapter and buying on eBay will be pretty hard because customs taxes exceed the price of shipping + product, otherwise my i have two options, leave one big hole on the back of the pc or used one revised AT PSU.

Living wrote:

That is one of the worst motherboards i know. Subpar performance and compatibility problems. They were wery common in supermarket computers around 2000 here in Argentina.

Pa: You need a patch to use any k6-2 above 350Mhz in Windows 95

I don't have plans to run Windows 95, as is said i want one build that replace 386,486 and Pentium MMX for DOS Gaming.

BTW i found some hardware to use on this project, i need to clean them up but everything is working.
l4qcMEE.jpg