VOGONS

First post, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm asking if it is dangerous for the hardware to use a simple spliter cable (an Y) 3.5mm for mixing the MT-32 and SC-33 throught my sound card. I'm currently passing mt-32 trought the Ultrasound Max and the line out of this one is trought the line in of the awe 32. 😀 and finaly to the computer speaker.

Reply 1 of 16, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually outputs are not meant to be connected together. It may not break immediately, but who knows what happens in the long run.
It could sound distorted because the output is a relatively low impedance source that expects to see a relatively high impedance, but the other output looks like a low impedance load instead. And it could sound especially bad when one of the devices is turned off.
It may not help even if you put some series resistors to mix stuff together, but it is worth trying.

If you want to go redneck, and don't need both sources at the same time, just hack a switch there to select one at a time, either MT-32 or SC-33.

Reply 3 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was doing that when I was kid and did not know better. I find it funny when I think at how I imagined the signal would know where to go from a Y switch 🤣 . But now I still think about the cheapest way to do 50/50 mixing and I wonder if using some diodes to make sure both output are routed to the input of the receiver would be of any help?

[sndcard 1 output]---[diode --> ]---\
_______________________________>---[receiver]
[sndcard 2 output]---[diode --> ]---/

Reply 4 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ExTneicsol wrote:

They is some way to use some other audio jack on the sound card (micro for exemple) as another line in?

I use the line-in or the cd-rom in of my gus classic to input the line-out of a sbawe32, but I find myself always in the sbawe32 or gus mixer to adjust the level, sound too low and I amplify the white noise, sound too loud and is distorted...

As soon as I got some time, I'll fix that situation, after all the time I've spent silencing those oldies computers to hear the music at his purest hardware mixing, I find it bad to break the signal with this cheap solution.

Reply 5 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote:
I was doing that when I was kid and did not know better. I find it funny when I think at how I imagined the signal would know wh […]
Show full quote

I was doing that when I was kid and did not know better. I find it funny when I think at how I imagined the signal would know where to go from a Y switch 🤣 . But now I still think about the cheapest way to do 50/50 mixing and I wonder if using some diodes to make sure both output are routed to the input of the receiver would be of any help?

Soundcard outputs are unbiased AC. Would you really want to rectify them?

With a pair of opamps and some resistors, a guy could build a very inexpensive mixer. Wouldn't that solve the issue?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 16, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SC-33 or MT-32 ---> Line In ''GUS'' Line out ---> Line In ''AWE32'' ---> Speaker Out : And it sound pretty well. And for the volume of the MT or the SC-33 i can adjust them manually ... I just dont want to have to switch the MT-32 cable and the SC-33 (have a tendancy to wear them out quickly) There is no cable or cheap think that can protect from the feed back danger?

Reply 7 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
ElBrunzy wrote:
I was doing that when I was kid and did not know better. I find it funny when I think at how I imagined the signal would know wh […]
Show full quote

Soundcard outputs are unbiased AC. Would you really want to rectify them?

With a pair of opamps and some resistors, a guy could build a very inexpensive mixer. Wouldn't that solve the issue?

Damn, I did read a bit about clamper and Schottky diodes and realize that I know far less electronic than the little I believe I did. 🙁

Reply 9 of 16, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As i read the post i noticed someone say the CD_IN can be used as a line in? Does is existe a CD_in cable to 3.5mm female jack? If so that would be perfect!

Something like this ... ak35gt2r-audio-bracket.JPG ... if anyone know where i can get that ... i would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 11 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just drill a hole or use a spacer who used to hold a vga card for instance and solder a mini-molex to a male 1/8 phono jack. Molex pins are easy to edit but better have it right first, the pinout on the card is usually silk marked on the card or is very easy to guess from the pcboard, you could use that site https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/ if you want to double-check.

Some sound card have jumper style connector (like your picture) or mini-molex, 3 or 4 pins. Check it out before. You could do like I once did and solder directly to the cd-rom connector... just make sure your computer current is cut first, like I once did not 😁

The picture you show is just a female 1/8 phono jack screwed to a spacer, you can say it's cleaner, but you will have two male jack on the back of your computer, it's your choice. No more digital cd-rom but it will free-up your line-in. I know the SB32 have a CD slider in it's mixer, not sure about the gus classic but I think yes, better check it out first.

Reply 12 of 16, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just remembered i've that somewhere espelho-traseiro-asus-contendo-01-conector-de-audio-mp3-in-211011-MLB20471536589_112015-F.jpg

I think it would be perfect.

In fact for the digital cd-rom in ... the one on the gus is unused, but i use the one on the awe32 for the cd-rom. 😁

Reply 13 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah! and from what I've read the connector already has the correct pinout for one of the three molex type in the ultrasound max that I beleive you have!

... oops the awe32 ? I think it dont have that type of molex and the pinout of this bastard seem to be... :
CD Connector CD_IN
Pin 1 Ground Pin 2 CD-Left channel in
Pin 3 Ground Pin 4 CD-Right channel in

might depend on your model... ct-2xxx seem to have smaller molex and ct-3xxx seem to have both ... better look for yourself, you cant break anything...

Wait... after a third read of your post I'm not sure I understand it right ... digital cd-rom in is from the ide not the mini molex... anyway, I'm sure your all set now.

Reply 15 of 16, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could also be like that:

quick visit to your local pawnshop and buy a cheap second hand mixer.
just sayin 😉

How are your mt-32 and sc-33 wired, midi wise ? Do you use the midithru of a device?

Sorry to bother you with all my questions but your setup is nearly identical to one I once had. Do you want to have this setup so you could listen to each of your devices without any hardware manipulation or do you want to setup a 4 devices midi mapper configuration? If you go with the midi mapper, how is it configured ?

Reply 16 of 16, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use the midi throught of the MT-32. Now that i've tested my setup. It working great. The CT2760 (v3) as a really low amplification that give it almost to the same lv of the mt-32 / sc-33(80% volume) and the gus. To chose the mt-32 / sc-33 i just close the volum of the one i dont want to hear. 😀

A good 4 3.5mm selector is not cheap, so i opted for all in one. And i can also probably use the line out in the line in of my main computer to record it if i want. 😀 Thank to you the idea of using the line in and a 3.5mm came to my mind,